Can of Worms

enderandrew

I know the obvious answer is "a matter of choice" but I'm about to play BGII for the first time ever. I purchased BG1 and TotSC many years ago and was a bit underwhelmed. Everyone hailed it has the greatest RPG of all time. I thought it paled compared to titles like Ultima 7, and the later released Planescape: Torment. Yet I keep replaying old games for lack of better new ones, and I never did play BGII, so I finally purchased a copy (along with ToB).

I'm installing both, along with BGT and the BiG World MegaMod pack. There seem to be tons and tons of NPCs.

I usually play good characters (though I really enjoy writing villians, I like to play the hero). Romance is optional. I like it when it is well done, but it isn't a requirement. I'm looking for recommendations for NPCs to pick up along my travels. With BiG World, I have tons (if not most) installed. Preferably, I'd like to see NPCs that I can keep through BG and BGII, but it looks like most NPCs were designed solely for BGII. I don't mind humor, but I don't want it to take me completely out of the game.

So I ask you, the modding community, if you only played through the games once ever (which might be the case with me) which NPCs would you recommend to be at your side?

If you prefer good-aligned parties, you're in luck, because there are many to choose from.

From your screen name, I'm guessing that you'd prefer to use a male PC.

For BG1, I'd recommend:

PC (any class, as long as it's a human, half-elf, or elf, to get the BG2 romances)

Imoen

Minsc

Dynaheir (romance)

Ajantis or Kivan

Branwen or Gavin

For BG2, I'd go with

PC (any class)

Imoen/Yoshimo/Imoen

Minsc

Kivan (mod NPC)

Tashia (mod NPC - romance)

Keldorn

If you prefer good-aligned parties, you're in luck, because there are many to choose from.

From your screen name, I'm guessing that you'd prefer to use a male PC.

For BG1, I'd recommend:

PC (any class, as long as it's a human, half-elf, or elf, to get the BG2 romances)

Imoen

Minsc

Dynaheir (romance)

Ajantis or Kivan

Branwen or Gavin

For BG2, I'd go with

PC (any class)

Imoen/Yoshimo/Imoen

Minsc

Kivan (mod NPC)

Tashia (mod NPC - romance)

Keldorn

Yes, I do predominantly play male characters. Thanks for your suggestions!

What you truly need in the game is a proper skill selection. You need a warrior, a healer, a thief and a mage. You can then select anything else, to make the party to suit your taste.

The warrior is a class that can take and give damage: Fighter, Paladin, Ranger or Barbarian, and most their kits.

A healer is divine spell caster that has protection, healing, restoration spells and the occasional raising from dead. So that's Cleric(+kits) or Druid(+kits).

A thief is a thief(+kits) that can open locks and disarm traps. Prity much everything else can be handled by anyone else, so a dual or multi class are quite much recommended.

Mage is arcane caster that can do damage, give and remove magical protections.

It's essential that you have at least one for every role, cause without one, you'll either take too much damage, or can't do any to enemy when facing them.

It's also recommended that you take a warrior class as your main char, as it makes the game easier, as the few special powers you are given, give greater benefits to warriors.

So for your good aligned char, you do need one of each these if your PC(player character) can't do the job:

In BG2;

W:Keldorn, Mazzy or Minsc.

H: Anomen, Cernd or Jaheira.

T: Jan or Yoshimo, later you can switch to Imoen if the need arises.

M: Jan, Nalia and later Imoen.

Now, there is a few things that you can know, the classes aren't exactly needed, as there is a way to go around them, but for easier game experience, one of each is recommended, and a back up is a good option too.

So I would recommend(in BG2) a Berserker PC, Minsc until you get Keldorn, Jaheira, Aerie, and Yoshimo until you get Imoen...

You can keep Minsc if you want or replace him with "other more suited to your style of playing" chars.

Actually, if you're really playing for the first time (which I guess might not quite be true, as you've played BG1 before), I'd just take BG1 as it comes. Unlike BG2, the NPCs tend to turn up in a scattered way thru quite a lot of the game, and it's a lot of fun just seeing who the options are. (On subsequent playthroughs I've thought rather more in advance about the right party.)

Guest LoveWarCoffee

I'm a fan of hilarious parties. E.g. funny banters. The one that's hilarious and gives a good party balance is as follows:

PC

Tank: Korgan

Cleric: Anomen

Thief: Jan

Mage: Edwin

Romance: Aerie/Viconia/Jaheira/Mod NPCs (Sarah/Saerileth/others)

PC

Tank: Korgan

Cleric: Anomen

Thief: Jan

Mage: Edwin

Romance: Aerie/Jaheira/Mod NPCs (Sarah/Saerileth/others)

And with reputation at 18+, you get rid of 2 party members with no possibility to get them back. :)
Guest LoveWarCoffee
And with reputation at 18+, you get rid of 2 party members with no possibility to get them back. :)

Hey, just a little more incentive to become the Slayer every once in a while! Plus, Korgan's far more interesting than that goody two-shoes Keldorn "the only thing I'm good for is wielding Carsomyr" Firecam.

Heh. Keldorn's interesting enough. I've nothing against Korgan, though he won't be very at home in a predominantly good party, which the OP likes.

Though as DavidW says, sometimes, it's more interesting to cycle through different party members, and stick with those who you most enjoy. It's really hard to tell whether your preferences will match someone else's. For example, some people find Aerie's sugar-coated innocence appealing. I find it cloying. Different players like different things.

Guest LoveWarCoffee
So for your good aligned char, you do need one of each these if your PC(player character) can't do the job:

In BG2;

W:Keldorn, Mazzy or Minsc.

H: Anomen, Cernd or Jaheira.

T: Jan or Yoshimo, later you can switch to Imoen if the need arises.

M: Jan, Nalia and later Imoen.

Hey man, where's Aerie? Just because she whines alot doesn't she's no good; mage/clerics are very effective in each role; so if you pick Aerie, all you need is a thief and then you've got a decently-balanced party regardless of your other pics. Also, where'd Valygar go? Give him ye old Celestial Fury and watch him go nuts.

Guest LoveWarCoffee
Though as DavidW says, sometimes, it's more interesting to cycle through different party members, and stick with those who you most enjoy.

Oh, agreed. I mean, I just installed banterpack and I have yet to settle on an NPC party that I want to play through with. Thinking PC Ranger/Cleric, Keldorn, Minsc, Jan, Aerie, Valygar; but Haer'Dalis is very tempting!

I always try and keep Korgan and Minsc around if possible when I play this game...which means either playing that thin line between monster and super hero or taking the less ethical route of slapping a Helm of Opposite Alignment on Korgan's head to keep the fun quests from ticking him off.

I've always preferred the female mages to Edwin by far: Edwin can be...high maintenance. And even Aerie and her constant whining can't make him worth it in comparison.

Guest LoveWarCoffee
I've always preferred the female mages to Edwin by far: Edwin can be...high maintenance. And even Aerie and her constant whining can't make him worth it in comparison.

Oh completely. Although I could definitely use a good female wild mage; I think you can get one with the Kivan mod, but you have to have Kivan as well. Too bad.

For a first game, I wouldn't play with any mod NPC's. For a good party, I'd use:

PC (any class, preferably some sort of fighter class because getting all the coolest weapons is fun.)

Aerie (properly equipped, she's very powerful when she gets up in levels)

Minsc

Anomen (exploding vampires can't be beat)

Yoshimo/Imoen

And, I'd leave the last slot open to rotate other NPC's in and out as quests require. You could also use either Jaheira (with a strength belt and iron skins, she can tank if needed and has some good summoning spells along with buffing/healing) or Keldorn to fill Minsc's spot if you'd prefer. If you're big on arcane power in your party, you could either run Nalia/Imoen or make yourself a fighter/mage to have some back-up magic support for Aerie.

Hey man, where's Aerie? ... Mage/clerics are very effective in each role...
Well, the thing there is, she can't really do neither job on her own, but as a back up she is really fine, as I put her on my selection group.

Archived