BG2 fixpack installation for Mac OS X

I'm trying to install the fixpack for Baldur's Gate 2 on Mac OS X. I read the instructions and they said to just put the files in the BG2 folder and run the .command file but my computer doesn't seem to know what to do with the .command file, so neither do I. Please help me install this thing. Thanks in advance.

Guest LoveWarCoffee

IP- I'm a macuser as well, and the problem sounds as if you do not have WeiDU installed. You can get it from here:

http://weidu.org/main.html#weidu

Be sure to download the osx version. I believe it comes with a few others, sox and something else. If this is not the case, please respond with a precise description of the error.

Regards,

LWC

IP- I'm a macuser as well, and the problem sounds as if you do not have WeiDU installed. You can get it from here:

http://weidu.org/main.html#weidu

Be sure to download the osx version. I believe it comes with a few others, sox and something else. If this is not the case, please respond with a precise description of the error.

Regards,

LWC

Thanks. I think that worked. I used that new program to install the mod I think. But it didn't really give any confirmation or anything. How can I tell if it has been installed?

Guest LoveWarCoffee
Thanks. I think that worked. I used that new program to install the mod I think. But it didn't really give any confirmation or anything. How can I tell if it has been installed?

The (second to) last line of the terminal window should be "Installation completed successfully." Or something like it.

The (second to) last line of the terminal window should be "Installation completed successfully." Or something like it.

I should be more clear. First I ran the WeiDU installer. Next, I Installed WeiDU. Next, I went to Update/Restore Mods and updated the fixpack mod. That's all I did.

Did I install the fixpack mod? If not, I don't know how to because the fixpack mod .command file won't open independently.

I'm trying to install the fixpack for Baldur's Gate 2 on Mac OS X. I read the instructions and they said to just put the files in the BG2 folder and run the .command file but my computer doesn't seem to know what to do with the .command file, so neither do I. Please help me install this thing. Thanks in advance.

If you double-click the .command file and it says "There is no default application ...", Get Info on the file, choose Open With, and select Applications/Utilities/Terminal. Then press the Change All button.

If it says "The file could not be executed because you do not have appropriate access privileges", do this:

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=14312#

If you double-click the .command file and it says "There is no default application ...", Get Info on the file, choose Open With, and select Applications/Utilities/Terminal. Then press the Change All button.

If it says "The file could not be executed because you do not have appropriate access privileges", do this:

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=14312#

Very nice. Thanks. The command file wasn't made executable.

Guest LoveWarCoffee

Most mods normally don't come with a .command; and in general they're not necessary at all. There are two things I'll walk you through here, the first is resetting the permissions of your download. I've found that when I download these mods, the permissions of the files are too restrictive, so they need to be reset. The easiest way to do this is just to reset the permissions of the whole Baldur's Gate 2 folder, so open up Terminal and type:

"cd /"

(and verify that the BG2 - SoA folder is in this directory by typing "ls -l"). Using

sudo chmod 777 -R BG2\ -\ SoA

will recursively set the permissions to read/write/execute for owner, group, and user. If you have a password on your computer, it will prompt for a password, use the one you set up on your computer.

In your weidu folder, there should be a file called "weidu-mac", you want to copy that file and place it in your "BGII - SoA" folder, and rename it "Setup-bg2fixpack". In terminal, type

cd /BG2\ - \ SoA

and then

./Setup-bg2fixpack

and follow the instructions. Good luck and happy hunting.

LWC

My nose is so big that I can't help but stick it in here ;)

When I want to install a mod under OS X, I first extract the downloaded mod's archive, then place the extracted folder (that's assuming it didn't extract to a .dmg) into my main BGII folder. Then, if there's a .exe file inside the mod folder, I go into my WeiDU folder and place a copy of weidu-mac inside the mod's folder. I rename this copy of weidu-mac to nameofexefile.command, but never try to open the .command file. If the mod's .tp2 file is right inside the mod folder, I then open a Terminal session, navigate to my BGII folder, then type ./weidu-mac nameofTP2file.tp2 --tlkout dialog.tlk and the install process begins. In the case of the Fixpack, I install all components, then eventually I see that the mod has installed successfully. Exit the session and quit the Terminal, and I'm ready to play BGII with the mod installed :cool:

This may appear convoluted, but it's the only way I can install mods, it works, and the process becomes semi-automatic, so to speak. Hope this helps!

Happy gaming,

Eric

That .command step is pointless (a .command file is simply a shell script that Terminal will automatically execute). It only exists in Mac OS X builds of mods to literally run "cd <directory of this .command script -- which should be the Baldur's Gate II folder>; ./Setup-modName" (all of which you can do manually).

You may also want to add --log nameofTP2file.debug when installing so that a complete installation log is created (running the Setup-* executables automatically does this).

That .command step is pointless (a .command file is simply a shell script that Terminal will automatically execute). It only exists in Mac OS X builds of mods to literally run "cd <directory of this .command script -- which should be the Baldur's Gate II folder>; ./Setup-modName" (all of which you can do manually).

You may also want to add --log nameofTP2file.debug when installing so that a complete installation log is created (running the Setup-* executables automatically does this).

Ahhh...nice to know we can cut a step out of the process :cool: I don't recall when or where I read about doing that .command thing; perhaps it's a historical issue. I've also made a note of the --log thing, so I'll add that to my routine for the future.

Another related thought: I wonder if it would be worthwhile to start by preparing a list of mods one wants to install, then create some sort of script that will install all components in the order desired, automatically handling all user input (by virtue of being written in the script file), for OS X. I know that the BiG World project attempts to handle this for Windows, but I've been thinking that it might be nice if it's possible to create and then execute such a file.

Thanks,

Eric

weinstall from the weidu package is your friend, if you want to experiment with scripting an automated multiple-mod install.

It can get a bit out of hand ... I currently have a 700-line script to build my standard install. :cool: (no, not 700 mods... yet.)

Guest Duncan

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm having infuriating trouble installing the fix and tweak packs. I downloaded WeiDU, but when I click the installer command I can't get it to do anything. It brings up the command list, I hit 1 which is to install, hit enter and then it just gives me the choice to go back to the main menu or quit. I can't see that it has installed anywhere, and I can use it to install the packs. Can anyone help? I know I must be missing something obvious.

The WeiDU programs were installed in /bin, which is a hidden directory. However, installing WeiDU is unnecessary since all Mac versions of mods come with their own Setup-XXX.command scripts and Setup-XXX programs. The Setup-XXX programs are just renamed copies of weidu-mac.

Archived