War

Guest Angua

Guest Angua

This sunday one of my best friends is going to afganistan.

It's something I'd rather not discuss with my family, so I'm seeking the company of strangers, as it were.

Obviously I'm sad, but he's in inelligence so he wont be in the main fire...

should i be as scared as I am?

I won't say that intelligence is completely safe because I knew a guy who was killed (he was in intelligence as well) because his vehicle was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Unfortunately it happens.

I have a few friends out in iraq right now, and sure, I'm worried about their safety but I try to focus not so much on my fear but more on supporting that they're committed to doing what they signed up for. (I don't necessarily agree with the war out there but as long as it's happening, might as well support the guys and girls who are there).

A fairly distant acquaintance of mine is in exactly the same position right now. I haven't heard news of him recently, but if anything had happened to him, I likely would have. Assuming he's still there, it would be about...a year and a half now.

Which I guess is a vote of confidence--of a sort?

This sunday one of my best friends is going to afganistan.

It's something I'd rather not discuss with my family, so I'm seeking the company of strangers, as it were.

Obviously I'm sad, but he's in inelligence so he wont be in the main fire...

should i be as scared as I am?

Probably not - it's probably not nearly as dangerous as you think it is. Hundreds of thousands of people have cycled through Afghanistan and Iraq in the last seven years, and the overwhelming majority have come back just fine. Obviously statistics aren't everything, but they're something.

My husband retired from the Navy and my youngest daughter is currently active duty in the Navy. Your fears are perfectly normal and to be expected when one so close to you is in harm's way. Skirmishes occur frequently, but that doesn't mean a particular unit is any safer than another or in more danger. The best thing I can tell you is to WRITE... frequently. Your friend will love getting mail, and it will help you as well. Also, with technology today, your friend may also be able to get e-mail, so you might want to check into that. That's how I keep in touch with my daughter. *hugs to you*

Guest Angua

Thanks so much for the replys

I'm seeing him this evening, so I'll definatly get the details for writing to him.

xx

Archived