Banters. SoA now, ToB next.

cmorgan

Well, a new NPC. Great tutorials out there, including new ones by K'aeloree, and good old standards found here at G3, at PPG, and at SHS. Since lots of NPC's get started and few finished, though, there's always room for another source of information. So with Aran, I am going to try running through the decisions made, and why I might have chosen them. This really isn't completely open development, as most of the materials presented in this forum have had a good working over by some select friends in a private workroom - even I don't really want to spill out all my strange ideas in public on a first draft all the time. But most of this is still a work in progress, subject to refinement and experimentation. So if you are interested, follow along, and if not - no big deal. Ignore all this crap until a beta gets put out, and you can enjoy him without wading through the coding details.

Other threads here will have the development ideas, characterization, choices to make and unmake, but here let's just think out loud through the process of turning a bunch of stuff that comes out in my brain as

FanFic, or Brainstorm of Story:

The wind is calm, and the weather is unseasonably crisp and chilly this morning. Stirrups chirp and creak against the worn leather of Aran's saddle, and the shifting reigns make their own subtle percussive accompaniment as he checks the slow nag from wandering off the trail to get that juicy, frosty tuft of grass. The quick start of a rabbit across the trail, and suddenly the nag decides enough is enough - with a quick twitch, her rider tilts and attempts to remain seated. Aran's voice grumbles through the clear air, carrying across the vale; "Bloody Cyric's Left Arm, I shoulda turned you into glue, you misbegotten daughter of Lolth..."

Bright armor glints in the first rays of the sun as Anomen checks his steed and moves back along the trail. His tenor voice is as cold as the morning. "Your language is offensive, Whitehand. You should think before speaking. Stubbing your toe like that does not warrant dispensing such calls to the gods."

Aran's weather-beaten face scowls. "Bugger off, tin-can."

"I will not be treated with such disrespect. Your lanuguage offends me and is not appropriate for our company. Apologize at once, or I shall teach you your manners."

"Look, Delryn. How many wars have you served in? How many battles?" Close now, the young face looking down onto the old face, neither concealing the disgust each feels for the other Anomen colors slightly at the reference to his inexperience.

"That has no bearing on this discussion."

Aran's derisive snort causes his nag to glare balefully back at him as she checks to see whether the comment is directed at her attempts to leave the trail or to the huge pile of muscle and steel barding next to her. She decides that it must be reserved for the stallion next to her, and begins testing Aran's patience again.

"If you ever sat down with your troops, laddie, you'd know that swearin' is a natural thing. And the tighter the spot, the tougher the language."

Control of his face regained, Anomen looks around, motioning to the other members of the party. "There is no excuse for such offensive language in any situation."

Seeing the paladin motion to the other party members, Aran tugs fiercely at his nag and casts his eyes forward at the trail. He sighs, reigned to once again losing the argument. Long gone are the days of absolutes, and here is a man who still has not experienced enough to realize the true nature of the universe.

"Look, laddie. I'm not goin' to make a capital case o' this. I'm not one of your troops. I'm not one of your lords or such. And I am not likely to curb my tongue. I served under an officer once who thought he'd clean us all up and make us gentleman."

Anomen's eyebrows arch, and his smile glitters both frost and spite along with surprise at so obvious an opening in the conversation. A point to me, churl... "He obviously failed."

Aran's shrug speaks volumes, but again causes his mount to attempt a causal dismounting mid-trail. "To be fair, it was difficult for him. We caught him in an Inn in Baldur's Gate, beat th' crap out of him, and tossed him bound an' gagged in the bilge of a long-haul galley sailing for Calimport. By the time he got back, the Flaming Fist had decided he wasn't good combat material and made him a staff officer. Supply, I believe."

Korgan's guffaw could be heard from Baldurs Gate to Calimport, and Elena moved forward quickly to redirect the men onto better tasks. Anomen's rising color was warning enough, and his hand was now resting on his sword hilt. Having Imoen giggle was not helping, and now it looked like the two men were close to coming to blows. Just another morning in constant peril, moving towards another impossible battle. Perhaps the Gods have decided against me already, she thought. Or perhaps they were just being typical men. Either way, it had to stop now.

Which then breaks down in conversational language or stage direction like a play:

Stage/TV Script of Story

[ANOMEN] Your language is offensive, Whitehand. You should think before speaking. Stubbing your toe like that does not warrant dispensing such calls to the gods.

[ARAN] Bugger off, tin-can.

[ANOMEN] I will not be treated with such disrespect. Your lanuguage offends me and is not appropriate for our company. Apologise at once, or I shall teach you your manners.

[ARAN] Look, Delryn. How many wars have you served in? How many battles?~

[ANOMEN] That has no bearing on this discussion.~

[ARAN] If you ever sat down with your troops, laddie, you'd know that swearin' is a natural thing. And the tighter the spot, the tougher the language.

[ANOMEN] There is no excuse for such offensive language in any situation.

[ARAN] (sigh.) Look, laddie. I'm not goin' to make a capital case o' this. I'm not one of your troops. I'm not one of your lords or such. And I am not likely to curb my tongue. I served under an officer once who thought he'd clean us all up and make us gentleman.

[ANOMEN] He obviously failed.

[ARAN] To be fair, it was difficult for him. We caught him in an Inn in Baldur's Gate, beat th' crap out of him, and tossed him bound an' gagged in the bilge of a long-haul galley sailing for Calimport. By the time he got back, the Flaming Fist had decided he wasn't good combat material and made him a staff officer. Supply, I believe.

What we have to do with him is both find him a decent voice that translates into a place where we can't do any direct stage direction or scenery setting. Oh, and it has to actually be read by the i.e. engine too.

Thinking through this process out loud,

I don't want to accidentally mess up other mods by naming a variable the same as someone else, so I go over to BWL and register a modding prefix. Mine is "C-" (case insensitive)

From now on, any templating or materials in the mod will have c- as a starting point.

I have read alot of NPC mods and played BG and BG2 a zillion times, so I know one good idea is to have my NPC banter with each of the possible canon BioWare characters. First of all, because you don't go adventuring with a group of people and not talk to them, and secondly because banters provide solid characterization that brings my NPC's personality to life. let's face it - sidekicks get all the fun anyways, and any NPC had better be a darned good sidekick. After all, the hero of the story is the player. Because I like conversations that appear more organic, I have decided that I am going to start with a pair of banters per BioWare NPC, one started by Aran to the other NPC, and the second by the other NPC to Aran.

I want my banters to fire when there is

no combat CombatCounter(0)

no enemy around !Detect([ENEMY])

both the speaker and the second party are in the area/in the party/not silenced, dead, etc. which means something like

If Imoen is the speaker,

Aran: InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)

Imoen: InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)

If Aran is the speaker,

Aran: InParty("imoen2") InMyArea("imoen2") !StateCheck("imoen2",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)

Imoen: InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)

If I decide to add folks not in the original banter initiation conditions, they need to be checked to see if they are able to speak, so each of their potenial responses need to be flagged the same way; for example, if I decide to add in Korgan to the Imoen/Aran talk, he would need

IF ~InParty("Korgan") InMyArea("Korgan") !StateCheck("Korgan",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN EXTERN ~BKORGAN~ myNewState

or in a CHAIN construct,

== ~BKORGAN~ IF ~InParty("Korgan") InMyArea("Korgan") !StateCheck("Korgan",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[KORGAN] <<TEXT>> ~

I only want the banter to run once, so I have

Global("c-imoenaran","GLOBAL",0) in the conditions, and

DO ~SetGlobal("c-imoenaran","GLOBAL",1)~ when the line runs. I want to see a set of actual numbers progressing, rather than having to troubleshoot a bunch of IncrementGlobal blocks.

I have my prefix, "c-", and then I want to keep things simple, so my variables I set up to be uniform, as prefix<<speaker>>aran and prefixaran<<speaker>> . This means I have a simple, unique, searchable variable for the inevitable troubleshooting.

They work out to be this:

/* BG2 Banters: Anomen > Aran */
c-anomenaranbanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-anomenaran","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Aran > Anomen */
c-arananomenbanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-arananomen","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Aerie > Aran */
c-aeriearanbanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-aeriearan","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Aran > Aerie */
c-aranaeriebanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranaerie","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Cernd > Aran */
c-cerndaranbanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-cerndaran","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Aran > Cernd */
c-arananomenbanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-arancernd","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Edwin > Aran */
c-edwinaranbanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-edwinaran","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Aran > Edwin */
c-aranedwinbanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranedwin","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: HaerDalis > Aran */
c-haerdalisaranbanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-haerdalisaran","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Aran > HaerDalis */
c-aranhaerdalisbanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranhaerdalis","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Jaheira > Aran */
c-jaheiraaranbanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-jaheiraaran","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Aran > Jaheira */
c-aranjaheirabanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranjaheira","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Jan > Aran */
c-janaranbanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-janaran","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Aran > Jan */
c-aranjanbanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranjan","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Keldorn > Aran */
c-keldornaranbanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-keldornaran","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Aran > Keldorn */
c-arankeldornbanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-arankeldorn","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Korgan > Aran */
c-korganaranbanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-korganaran","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Aran > Korgan */
c-arankorganbanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-arankorgan","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Mazzy > Aran */
c-mazzyaranbanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-mazzyaran","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Aran > Mazzy */
c-aranmazzybanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranmazzy","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Minsc > Aran */
c-minscaranbanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-minscaran","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Aran > Minsc */
c-aranminscbanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranminsc","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Nalia > Aran */
c-naliaaranbanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-naliaaran","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Aran > Nalia */
c-arannaliabanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-arannalia","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Valygar > Aran */
c-valygararanbanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-valygararan","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Aran > Valygar */
c-aranvalygarbanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranvalygar","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Viconia > Aran */
c-viconiaaranbanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-viconiaaran","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Aran > Viconia */
c-aranviconiabanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranviconia","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Yoshimo > Aran */
c-yoshimoaranbanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-yoshimoaran","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Aran > Yoshimo */
c-aranyoshimobanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranyoshimo","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Imoen2 > Aran */
c-imoenaranbanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-imoenaran","GLOBAL",1)~

/* BG2 Banters: Aran > Imoen2 */
c-aranimoenbanter DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranimoen","GLOBAL",1)~

I went ahead and set up the closing variables right after the statenames, so I can copy/paste matching ones into the conditions. This is important for me, because I type like a three-fingered drunken sloth, which is an insult to sloths, who perobably could type better. Nothing more frustrating than having a banter messed up because you had "c-aranimoen" in the condition, closed as "c-imnomenaren"...

Another idea to toss into the mix. I know translators both love and hate .tra files. They (quite rightly) have a tough time translating in a file that has no speakers indicated. But I know that anything in brackets [TEXT] doesn't show up in the game, so I have decided all my lines are going to have the speaker added via the comment, so that instead of

SAY ~Hi there!~

I will go for

SAY ~[ARAN] Hi there!~

Then when the file eventually gets set up into traification for translation, all the strings will be associated with a specific actor even in the .tra file (and dialog.tlk).:

@0 = ~[ARAN] Hey, what is goin' on wi' you, lady? ~
@1 = ~[IMOEN] Nuthin'. ~
@2 = ~[JAHEIRA]  Honestly, child, sit up and speak cleaarly.~

but in game, all the player sees is

"Hey, what is goin' on wi' you, lady?"

"Nuthin'. "

"Honestly, child, sit up and speak clearly."

Another consideration, before filling out my code-skeleton: are these banters going to be just between two actors, or do I want more participants? If they are straighforward banters, the most logical and efficient way to code them is the traditional IF <> THEN <> END structures. But since I am likely to add more participants later, and especially as I want the flexibility to add in new possible alternate lines later, I am going to initially choose CHAIN.

So based on this, I can set up a complete template and swap in dialog files and DVs that I can complete with text and expand later. This gives me a sequence of opening and closing variables, too, so all I have to do to create the code

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-imoenaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~BIMOEN2~ c-imoenaranbanter
~[IMOEN] << TEXT >> ~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-imoenaran","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] << TEXT >> ~ 
== ~BIMOEN2~ ~[IMOEN] XXXX SPOKEN XXXX ( XXXX ACTION XXXX ) ~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-aranimoen","GLOBAL",0) InParty("Imoen2") InMyArea("Imoen2") !StateCheck("Imoen2",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-aranimoenbanter
~[ARAN] << TEXT >> ~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranimoen","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BIMOEN2~ ~[IMOEN] XXXX SPOKEN XXXX ( XXXX ACTION XXXX ) ~
EXIT

Hey, wait a sec - SConrad has a whole tutorial on why you shouldn't use CHAIN this way. What gives? Is he wrong?

Nope. In my opinion, he is 100% correct. CHAIN is not designed to be used this way. I am choosing to code in CHAIN because I am exploring how to customize content to player choice. I like West Wing, Middleman, House, Friends, Stargate SG-1, and many other snappy groups of dialog interaction, so my skeleton of code starts backwards. Usually, you would set this all up as this:

APPEND ~BIMOEN2~

IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-imoenaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~BIMOEN2~ c-imoenaranbanter
SAY ~[IMOEN] << TEXT >> ~
IF ~ <<CONDITION>> THEN REPLY ~[ARAN] << TEXT >> ~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-imoenaran","GLOBAL",1)~ EXIT // EXTERN ~<<DIALOG_FILE>>~ <<statename>>
END

IF ~~ c-imoenaranbantertwo
SAY ~[IMOEN] << TEXT >> ~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~[IMOEN] << TEXT >> ~ EXIT // or EXTERN ~<<DLFG_FILE>>~ <<statename>>
END

END // of APPEND  

APPEND ~C-ARANB~

IF ~~ c-imoenaranbanterone
SAY ~[ARAN] << TEXT >> ~
IF ~~ THEN EXTERN ~BIMOEN2~ c-imoenaranbantertwo
END

END // of APPEND

I would end up with a set of states to APPEND to Aran's Banter Dialog file, and a set for Imoen's, etc. - so WeiDU doesn't have a huge chore of continually parsing files, etc - one clean, open "stick all this in this particular file" followed by another "stick all this in this other file", closely maching how dialog states work and are called in the game engine. It would also help reinforce in my mind how states really work - one dialog file "speaking" to another, passing dialog back and forth.

But, I am playing around with some ideas that may come and go, and most of all with tailoring content to an extreme seen only in Jastey's Ajantis, Berelinde's Gavin, and Domi's Kivan. I want to do this kind of thing, later on, and don't want to go back and maniually link in new pathways:

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-imoenaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~BIMOEN2~ c-imoenaranbanter
~[IMOEN] << TEXT >> ~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~Class(Myself,CLERIC_ALL) !Global("c-aranmatch","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN ~[ARAN] << TEXT in Cleric mode>> ~ 
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~Class(Myself,MAGE_ALL) !Global("c-aranmatch","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN ~[ARAN] << TEXT in Mage mode>> ~ 
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~Global("c-aranmatch","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN ~[ARAN] << TEXT in Romance mode>> ~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~GlobalGT("c-aranromance","GLOBAL",15)~ THEN ~[ARAN] << ADDITIONAL TEXT in Romance mode after LT 14>> ~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~Class(Player1,MAGE_ALL)~ THEN ~[ARAN] << TEXT if PC is a Mage >> ~
== ~BIMOEN2~ IF ~!Global("c-aranmatch","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN ~[IMOEN] Text Response If Aran & PC Aren't Sparking~
== ~BIMOEN2~ IF ~Global("c-aranmatch","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN ~[IMOEN] Text Response If Aran & PC Are Sparking~
EXIT

Let's take a look at an example. I have a straightforward banter here, which is miscoded as CHAIN.

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-edwinaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~BEDWIN~ c-edwinaranbanter
~[EDWIN] Hold this, sellsword. I must adjust my pack. You are not intelligent enough to do it correctly.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-edwinaran","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Hold it yourself, red wizard. I'm no Gond-blighted mechanical servant for your pleasure. Lean against me, if you aren't balanced.~
== ~BEDWIN~ ~[EDWIN] If you were my servant, I would have you bound and whipped for daring to speak to me. Stop wriggling, ape. I still need to tighten the bottom strap.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Hold on, I have an itch myself...~
== ~BEDWIN~ ~[EDWIN] FOOL! Your idiotic gyrations have cast me into the mire! I will run hot lead in the marrow of your bones!~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Keep your temper, spellslinger. I have a waterskin for cleanup right here... oops.~
== ~BEDWIN~ ~[EDWIN] (pffttt.) Run, simian. Mere incompetence does not explain dropping me into the mire then pouring water over my head. Your death will be slow, and painful.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Hey, sorry, Edwin. it was an honest mistake. I am just a stupid sellsword! Someone grab somethin' to help dry him off, will you? I am gettin' out of range right quick.~
EXIT

But I know I will want to add in the reactions of other party members, because my vision of dialog follows a "cloud" model rather than a "linear" model. In group settings, two people talking sometimes ends up with just one vs one. But more often it becomes a Greek Chorus or even a set of side-conversations.

Here is the expanded banter:

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-edwinaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~BEDWIN~ c-edwinaranbanter
~[EDWIN] Hold this, sellsword. I must adjust my pack. You are not intelligent enough to do it correctly.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Hold it yourself, red wizard. I'm no Gond-blighted mechanical servant for your pleasure. Lean against me, if you aren't balanced.~
== ~BEDWIN~ ~[EDWIN] If you were my servant, I would have you bound and whipped for daring to speak to me. Stop wriggling, ape. I still need to tighten the bottom strap.~
== ~BEDWIN~ ~[EDWIN] FOOL! Your idiotic gyrations have cast me into the mire! I will run hot lead in the marrow of your bones!~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("HaerDalis") InMyArea("HaerDalis") !StateCheck("HaerDalis",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Great. The laughter is not helpin' matters, Haer'Dalis. Lend a hand, eh?~
== ~BHAERDA~ IF ~InParty("HaerDalis") InMyArea("HaerDalis") !StateCheck("HaerDalis",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[HAERDALIS] Why, my eagle, should I give you my hand? Do I not need it myself? How should I draw a weapon or gesture grandly? Besides, our fair wizard looks quite put out...~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] All right, Keep your temper, spellslinger. I have a waterskin for cleanup right here... oops.~
== ~BEDWIN~ ~[EDWIN] (pffttt.) Run, simian. Mere incompetence does not explain dropping me into the mire then pouring water over my head. Your death will be slow, and painful.~
== ~BKORGAN~ IF ~InParty("Korgan") InMyArea("Korgan") !StateCheck("Korgan",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[KORGAN] Damn yer foul hide, Whitehand, I've not laughed so much since I don't know when. Here's yer gold. Next time I'll watch me bettin' with you more careful.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Korgan") InMyArea("Korgan") !StateCheck("Korgan",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Shut the nine hells up, you sorry dwarven bastard - now I ain't got no place to hide.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Hey, sorry, Edwin, it was an honest mistake. I am just a stupid sellsword!~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Korgan") InMyArea("Korgan") !StateCheck("Korgan",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Five gold to stop your laughin', Korgan. You're makin' him madder!~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Imoen2") InMyArea("Imoen2") !StateCheck("Imoen2",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] 'Shoulda known better than to listen to you, Imoen. Now he's all pissed, an' I'm in trouble.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Aerie") InMyArea("Aerie") !StateCheck("Aerie",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Aerie, darlin', stop the giggling, will you. He's mad enough to spit fire. It's my life you are playin' with...~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~Someone grab somethin' to help dry him off, will you? I am gettin' out of range right quick.~ 
EXIT

So, all that being said, here are the rough initial banters, as coded.

file: aran/dlg/bg2banters.d

/* BG2 Banters */

CHAIN IF  ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-anomenaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~BANOMEN~ c-anomenaranbanter
~[ANOMEN] Your language is offensive, Whitehand. You should think before speaking. Stubbing your toe like that does not warrant dispensing such calls to the gods.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-anomenaran","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Bugger off, tin-can.~
== ~BANOMEN~ ~[ANOMEN] I will not be treated with such disrespect. Your lanuguage offends me and is not appropriate for our company. Apologise at once, or I shall teach you your manners.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Look, Delryn. How many wars have you served in? How many battles?~
== ~BANOMEN~ ~[ANOMEN] That has no bearing on this discussion.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] If you ever sat down with your troops, laddie, you'd know that swearin' is a natural thing. And the tighter the spot, the tougher the language.~
== ~BANOMEN~ ~[ANOMEN] There is no excuse for such offensive language in any situation.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] (sigh.) Look, laddie. I'm not goin' to make a capital case o' this. I'm not one of your troops. I'm not one of your lords or such. And I am not likely to curb my tongue. I served under an officer once who thought he'd clean us all up and make us gentleman.~
== ~BANOMEN~ ~[ANOMEN] He obviously failed.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] To be fair, it was difficult for him. We caught him in an Inn in Baldur's Gate, beat th' crap out of him, and tossed him bound an' gagged in the bilge of a long-haul galley sailing for Calimport. By the time he got back, the Flaming Fist had decided he wasn't good combat material and made him a staff officer. Supply, I believe.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-arananomen","GLOBAL",0) InParty("Anomen") InMyArea("Anomen") !StateCheck("Anomen",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-arananomenbanter
~[ARAN] Oghma's Truth, Delryn, don't you ever stop?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-arananomen","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BANOMEN~ ~[ANOMEN] Good hygene is just as important on the trail as a clean and sharpened weapon, Whitehand. I comb through my hair as often as I polish my aromr, for precisely the same reason. You could use some cleaning up yourself.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] What you call 'cleaning' I call 'preening'.~
== ~BANOMEN~ ~[ANOMEN] Our enemies should understand that they face a true and righteous foe, clean in mind, body, and spirit.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] By the Nine Brothers of Hell, you have been on parade too long. Don't you know that all you're doing is settin' yourself up as a big shiny target, screaming 'kill me first, I'm too pretty to live'? For Torm's sake, at least put a cloak over that mirror polish.~
== ~BANOMEN~ ~[ANOMEN] I do not expect you to understand.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN]  Ilmater's Blood, I do not expect you to survive.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-aeriearan","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~BAERIE~ c-aeriearanbanter
~[AERIE] Why are you looking at me, Aran?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-aeriearan","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Sorry. I meant no harm. I haven't seen many Avariel. I just was interested, is all. How you move, an' such.~
== ~BAERIE~  ~[AERIE] Y- you should not look at me that way, Aran. It reminds me of awful horrible times. To be gaped at and looked at like an exhibit. It is ugly, and mean.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Kelemvor's Scales, Aerie, I didn't mean that at all. I... look. I have a rovin' eye, and I appreciate th' female form. You are really beautiful. I didn't mean to offend. I was lookin' where I shouldn't, and I'll try not to look again. I just have not seen such a beautiful lass in a long time, beggin' your pardon.~ 
== ~BAERIE~  ~[AERIE] Me? I am not beautiful. You were... you were looking at things you shouldn't?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Well, see, the hem o' your robe was slipping a bit under the backpack strap, and there's a little bit o'...~ 
== ~BAERIE~  ~[AERIE] ARAN!~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] See, me an' my big mouth. Now you've gone and covered up. And you blush bright, too. Sorry, didn't mean no harm.~ 
== ~BAERIE~  ~[AERIE] You could have warned me.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I am sorry, Aerie. I'll try to be more gentlemanly next time. I promise, I really will.~ 
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-aranaerie","GLOBAL",0) InParty("Aerie") InMyArea("Aerie") !StateCheck("Aerie",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-aranaeriebanter
~[ARAN] Aerie, do you want a hand practicing a bit?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranaerie","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BAERIE~  ~[AERIE] Practicing?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Practicing combat moves. Sometimes magic isn't enough, you know. Sometimes you have to get a bit o' the rough an' tumble.~
== ~BAERIE~  ~[AERIE] Well, if you think it is a good idea...~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Sure. Here, hold this branch. No, girl, hold it like it was a dagger. Yes. Now, push it forward, and...~
== ~BAERIE~  ~[AERIE] EEEEK!~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] See, that wraparound, an' you have your attacker pinned in your arms.~
== ~BAERIE~  ~[AERIE] Oh, I see. But Aran, your hands are... I mean, I wouldn't feel comfortable with my hands like that on someone I don't know.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Oh. Sorry about that. Just a little high, I think. No, you'd want to be a bit lower. Ok, you try.~
== ~BAERIE~  ~[AERIE] All right. So you lunge like this, and I twist like this, and swing, and...~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] *urk*~
== ~BAERIE~  ~[AERIE] Oh, Aran, I am so sorry! I have a healing spell, I think; I didn't mean to hit so low! Can you straighten up at all?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Nay, there, girl - you did right. Your attacker wouldn't be thinkin' much of anythin' for awhile. But let me alone just a bit, will you? Placing a healing touch down there is a mite more personal than I think you'd be wantin' between us.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF WEIGHT #-1 ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-cerndaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~BCERND~ c-cerndaranbanter
~[CERND] At times you seem like the staunch oak of the northern hardwood forests, Aran. But you also appear as flexible as the willows growing by the soft midland rivers. Have you thought of serving the cause of balance and nature?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-cerndaran","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] You talk like a bard, my friend, not a druid.~
== ~BCERND~  ~[CERND] Thank you. But you have not answered my question. Your skils and flexibility would serve the Great Balance well.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Look, I appreciate th' compliment you intend, but Nature's a hash mistress.~
== ~BCERND~  ~[CERND] You appear worthy of the challenge. You seem to swear by many gods, so I think you have no true calling. That risks your soul and your place on the Great Wheel.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I think Tymorra enjoys my takin' chances with the other gods. She guides my fortunes well enough. But I appreciate the compliment.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-arancernd","GLOBAL",0) InParty("Cernd") InMyArea("Cernd") !StateCheck("Cernd",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-arananomenbanter
~[ARAN] Would you stop that?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-arancernd","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BCERND~  ~[CERND] Stop what, Aran?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] You are breakin' your stride, and hopping back an' forth. I can't watch for trouble with all that movin' about distractin' me.~
== ~BCERND~  ~[CERND] I was merely avoiding the ants. Like small armies, they gather their food. They need no destruction to befall them from my stride through their habitat.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] You're playin' with me, aren't you.~
== ~BCERND~  ~[CERND] No.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Cryric's Flaming Arse.~
EXIT

== ~BEDWIN~  ~[EDWIN] If you were my servant, I would have you bound and whipped for daring to speak to me. Stop wriggling, ape. I still need to tighten the bottom strap.~
== ~BEDWIN~  ~[EDWIN] FOOL! Your idiotic gyrations have cast me into the mire! I will run hot lead in the marrow of your bones!~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("HaerDalis") InMyArea("HaerDalis") !StateCheck("HaerDalis",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Great. The laughter is not helpin' matters, Haer'Dalis. Lend a hand, eh?~
== ~BHAERDA~ IF ~InParty("HaerDalis") InMyArea("HaerDalis") !StateCheck("HaerDalis",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[HAERDALIS] Why, my eagle, should I give you my hand? Do I not need it myself? How should I draw a weapon or gesture grandly? Besides, our fair wizard looks quite put out...~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] All right, Keep your temper, spellslinger. I have a waterskin for cleanup right here... oops.~
== ~BEDWIN~  ~[EDWIN] (pffttt.) Run, simian. Mere incompetence does not explain dropping me into the mire then pouring water over my head. Your death will be slow, and painful.~
== ~BKORGAN~ IF ~InParty("Korgan") InMyArea("Korgan") !StateCheck("Korgan",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[KORGAN] Damn yer foul hide, Whitehand, I've not laughed so much since I don't know when. Here's yer gold. Next time I'll watch me bettin' with you more careful.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Korgan") InMyArea("Korgan") !StateCheck("Korgan",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Shut the nine hells up, you sorry dwarven bastard - now I ain't got no place to hide.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Hey, sorry, Edwin, it was an honest mistake. I am just a stupid sellsword!~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Korgan") InMyArea("Korgan") !StateCheck("Korgan",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Five gold to stop your laughin', Korgan. You're makin' him madder!~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Imoen2") InMyArea("Imoen2") !StateCheck("Imoen2",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] 'Shoulda known better than to listen to you, Imoen. Now he's all pissed, an' I'm in trouble.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Aerie") InMyArea("Aerie") !StateCheck("Aerie",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Aerie, darlin', stop the giggling, will you. He's mad enough to spit fire. It's my life you are playin' with...~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~Someone grab somethin' to help dry him off, will you? I am gettin' out of range right quick.~ 
EXIT

CHAIN IF WEIGHT #-1 ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-aranedwin","GLOBAL",0) InParty("edwin") InMyArea("edwin") !StateCheck("edwin",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-aranedwinbanter
~[ARAN] Hey, wizard. Why don't you just whip us up some magical transport, an' give us all a rest. My feet are killin' me.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranedwin","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BEDWIN~  ~[EDWIN] (If that truly were the case, I would ally myself with your feet, you overgrown chimp.) I could create such a transport. But a more intelligent being would rcognise it as a broadcasting of both our power and our position.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Well, with the gear we've got, every magic user within a mile should be able to see us blazin' like a torch, shouldn't they?~
== ~BEDWIN~  ~[EDWIN] Leave the arcane discussions to your betters. Or even beings with some semblance of intelligence. You come ill-equipped for such conversation.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Just tryin' to better myself. I can read an' read, but when push comes to shove, there's times when I need guidance. Figgured you bein' smart and all, you could help out a bit.~
== ~BEDWIN~  ~[EDWIN] My intelligence is more than adequate to bring your feeble strivings progress. I will assist you first by sending you on a quest for the definitions of 'can not' and 'will not'.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] So you are saying that you can help, but you won't.~
== ~BEDWIN~  ~[EDWIN] Congratulations, sellsword. You have graduated from mindless slug to birdbrain.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-haerdalisaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~BHAERDA~ c-haerdalisaranbanter
~[HAERDALIS] Come, my brown eagle. Let us pass the time, and tell stories of valor and of victory, of love lost and found. Anything but the tedium of the endless march.~ 
DO ~SetGlobal("c-haerdalisaran","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I'd trade fair an' square with you, Haer'Dalis, but I've only got simple stories.~
== ~BHAERDA~ ~[HAERDALIS] Ah, but the simplest are often the best. Come, tell me a tale. Entertain this poor sparrow, before he begins tearing at the nest in boredom and ennuis!~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Well, I did here tell of a bard who go bored one day. So he turns to his friend, and says, 'Fred, tell us a story.'~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] So Fred, he gets up and he says, 'Well, I did here tell of a bard who go bored one day. So he turns to his friend, and says, 'Fred, tell us a story.''~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] So Fred, he gets up and he says, 'Well, I did here tell of a bard who go bored one day. So he turns to his friend, and says, 'Fred, tell us a story.''~
== ~BHAERDA~ ~[HAERDALIS] Aran.~
== ~BHAERDA~ ~[HAERDALIS] ARAN.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Yes, my friend?~
== ~BHAERDA~ ~[HAERDALIS] I do believe that I understand the story. Perhaps we should explore song, instead, my eagle.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Sure thing! Many's the time the trail has been ligtened by simple song. How about 'Ninety-nine bottles o' Ale on th' Wall, Ninety-nine bottles o' Ale, Take one down an' pass it around; Ninety-eight bottles o' Ale on the Wall. Ninety-eight bottles o' Ale on the Wall, Ninety-eight bottles o' Ale, Take one down...~
== ~BHAERDA~ ~[HAERDALIS] May the gods have mercy on our ears.~
EXIT

CHAIN ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-aranhaerdalis","GLOBAL",0) InParty("HaerDalis") InMyArea("HaerDalis") !StateCheck("HaerDalis",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-aranhaerdalisbanter
~[ARAN] Hey, bard, my boyo... lend me a hand, will you?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranhaerdalis","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BHAERDA~ ~[HAERDALIS] I revel in the change and cadence of your speech, my eagle. You blend the accents of a dozen cultures in one sentence. What is it you wish?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I can read this stuff here, but I can't remember it. I keep trying, but I just can't get it memorized. You seem to remember everything, an' your lifespan's a mite longer than mine. How do you do it?~
== ~BHAERDA~ ~[HAERDALIS] Mnemonics. The occult study of memorization by association. For instance, I think of Artless Aran. That brings a mental picture of you, and assists my recall of all sorts of interesting things. Here, try it yourself. Look at a person, and think of a description mirroring the name. it will serve you well.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] OK, let me give it a shot. How about 'Happy HaerD'Alis'?~
== ~BHAERDA~ ~[HAERDALIS] While this poor sparrow is not always happy, I think you have the idea, Aran. A huge generalization that acts as an index to memory. But keep your voice low, my friend. Not everyone is amused by playing such games with their names.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Jaheira") InMyArea("Jaheira") !StateCheck("Jaheira",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Jabbing Jaheira. Pokes everyone all day with those elbows an' that tongue. Means well enough, though.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Aerie") InMyArea("Aerie") !StateCheck("Aerie",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Angelic Aerie. Beautiful, needs protection, damaged... but she'll take your heart with her eyes while you run from her constant complainin'.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Jan") InMyArea("Jan") !StateCheck("Jan",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Jawin' Jan. He never shuts his trap. Nice, but just can't stop jawin'.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Keldorn") InMyArea("Keldorn") !StateCheck("Keldorn",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Knightly Keldorn. Ok, that is fair enough.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Korgan") InMyArea("Korgan") !StateCheck("Korgan",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Killer Korgan. Aye, that works.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Mazzy") InMyArea("Mazzy") !StateCheck("Mazzy",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Merciful Mazzy. She is a stout heart, an' true.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Minsc") InMyArea("Minsc") !StateCheck("Minsc",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Mad Minsc. That's not quite right, though. Make it Magnificent. I'd take him 'side me on a shield wall any day o' the week, 'giant space hampster' an' all.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Nalia") InMyArea("Nalia") !StateCheck("Nalia",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Neophyte Nalia. It's a book word, but 'spoiled and clueless with a body to make a man blush' doesn't fit the pattern, I guess.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Valygar") InMyArea("Valygar") !StateCheck("Valygar",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Vehement Valygar. All business an' no real pleasure. Someone's got to get that man a pint an' a good tumble wi' a fine wench, and soon. Too tightly wound, that one.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Anomen") InMyArea("Anomen") !StateCheck("Anomen",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Arseholic Anomen. Stuck up prig.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Viconia") InMyArea("Viconia") !StateCheck("Viconia",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Vicious Viconia. Brings new meanin' to the phrase 'the only good drow is a dead drow'. Pity she's so useful. More pity I can't help her find her god. Preferably in small pieces ready for reassembly.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Yoshimo") InMyArea("Yoshimo") !StateCheck("Yoshimo",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Yoshimo. Hmmm. There's a challenge. How about Useful Yoshimo?~
== ~BHAERDA~ IF ~InParty("Yoshimo") InMyArea("Yoshimo") !StateCheck("Yoshimo",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty("HaerDalis") InMyArea("HaerDalis") !StateCheck("HaerDalis",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[HAERDALIS] Not quite the letter of the game, all puns intended, but certainly within the spirit. Go on...~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Imoen2") InMyArea("Imoen2") !StateCheck("Imoen2",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Irrepressible Imoen. She gets dragged around, tortured, near to killed, an' she bounces back up an' keeps moving. There's a real woman, an' a fine companion.~
== ~BHAERDA~ ~[HAERDALIS] This is more entertaining than I thought it might be.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] <CHARNAME>. Hmm. Not so sure I can guide on <PROHIMHER> so easily.~
== ~BHAERDA~ ~[HAERDALIS] Ah, my fine friend, there are exceptions to every rule. You need not create a mnemonic for <CHARNAME>. In <PROHISHER> case, <PROHESHE> is quite unforgettable.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-jaheiraaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~BJAHEIR~ c-jaheiraaranbanter
~[JAHEIRA] Aran. Come here. You have not secured your wineskin. Stop moving...~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-jaheiraaran","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Leave it alone, now. I'm appreciative an' all, but you are not my mother.~
== ~BJAHEIR~ ~[JAHEIRA] Nonsense. If you would stop charging about swatting at things before thinking, I would not have to treat you as a child.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] You don't look old enough to be my mother.~
== ~BJAHEIR~ ~[JAHEIRA] Nature demands age be shown in different manners to different races. That belt is too tight. Losen it at once.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] You look way to shapely to be anyone's mother. In fact, your eyes, they OUCH!~
== ~BJAHEIR~ ~[JAHEIRA] Stop squirming. Flattery will not get you out of proper equipment discipline. And next time we pass a strem, avail yourself of Nature's bounty, and wash behind you ears.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Tymorra's Golden...~
== ~BJAHEIR~ ~[JAHEIRA] What did you say?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Nothing.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-aranjaheira","GLOBAL",0) InParty("Jaheira") InMyArea("Jaheira") !StateCheck("Jaheira",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-aranjaheirabanter
~[ARAN] Next time we cook, can you lend me a hand with th' spices?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranjaheira","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BJAHEIR~ ~[JAHEIRA] I thought you kept your own stock from Calimport. Noone has complained so far. Why do you need my help? ~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] well my curries are fine, even given the strange ingredients we have to work with. An' my roasts are fine, too. But that last dish you cooked, it had good crunchy spiced things of some sort, and I want to learn how to make that.~
== ~BJAHEIR~ ~[JAHEIRA] Oh. The grubs.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] grubs...~
== ~BJAHEIR~ ~[JAHEIRA] Yes, yes... I am sure I have gone over this before, somewhere. Nutricious, simple, solid sources of nutrients, easily integrated into many recepies...~
== ~BJAHEIR~ ~[JAHEIRA] Aran?~
== ~BJAHEIR~ ~[JAHEIRA] No, please avoid being sick in that particular area. There are several important species living there that do not tolerate stomach acid well.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-janaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~  THEN ~BJAN~ c-janaranbanter
~[JAN] This reminds me of when my Great Uncle on my mother's side Maurice decided to...~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-janaran","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Jan, I didn't say anything.~
== ~BJAN~ ~[JAN] I know. That was precisely why I though of Great Uncle Maurice, who...~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I didn't say anything, and I didn't do anything.~
== ~BJAN~ ~[JAN] Exactly. Maurice never did, either. It was years and years before anyone noticed it, and...~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I didn't say anything, I didn't do anything, and you still are blatherin' on about a Shar-kissed family story. You don't take a hint, do you.~
== ~BJAN~ ~[JAN] The same applied to Uncle Maurice, I am afraid. We finally found out he had died in the Great Turnip Blight of '72, during one of our famous Family Storytelling Competitions. He was just to bored to move on to the next part of the Great Wheel.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I know how he feels.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-aranjan","GLOBAL",0) InParty("Jan") InMyArea("Jan") !StateCheck("Jan",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-aranjanbanter
~[ARAN] Hey Jan, come here. take a look at this.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranjan","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BJAN~ ~[JAN] All I see is a small... oh. Now that is cunning. A good snare, if old, tripped, and exposed. It seems designed to capture small animals alive and unharmed, rather than the usual crippling or noose-like hunter's snare.~ 
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Yes, but look here. There's a case made o' leather, with small loops inside that are still dry. Torn beyond repair now, but the idea's sound. A vial for some kind of liquid, an' some loops for darts.~
== ~BJAN~ ~[JAN] The snare is much more interesting. Quaint craftsmanship, but still a sound design.~ 
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Do you think you could make me something like this to hold my quills an' paper?~
== ~BJAN~ ~[JAN] Oh, that would be child's play. I could do it in an hour. No special exploding traps, nothing but a simple watertight case.~ 
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] How much would it cost me?~
== ~BJAN~ ~[JAN] Five nights of you cooking Turnip Curry.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Two nights.~
== ~BJAN~ ~[JAN] Four nights. With Turnip flatbread.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Three nights, the flatbread, an' I'll take your cleanup chores for th' week.~
== ~BJAN~ ~[JAN] Done. Pleasure doing business with you.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Likewise.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-keldornaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~BKELDOR~ c-keldornaranbanter
~[KELDORN] You have a gap on your right side.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-keldornaran","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Pardon?~
== ~BKELDOR~ ~[KELDORN] When you swing, you have an opening in your defenses on your right side.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] (sigh) I thought I'd fixed that. It's the lower right, exposin' the knee?~
== ~BKELDOR~ ~[KELDORN] Yes. It is a common mistake for those trained as shield infantry. Flaming Fist?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] One campaign, Regulars. Then three with the Moonshea Shield Company. But there I wasn't on the wall. I got moved to subaltern.~
== ~BKELDOR~ ~[KELDORN] The Iron Throne fiasco?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Guilty as charged. Lots of men and women well past revivification when that mess was over. Battle of Cloakwood. Manticore's Point.~
== ~BKELDOR~ ~[KELDORN] Ninety percent losses. You took both dragonstrike and a complete failure of gryphon support.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Could have been worse. Could have been in the Third Division. They saved our arses, at a terrible cost. Not enough scrolls of Stone to Flesh in the whole bloody Sword Coast, an' then the Cyric-buggerin' Throne bastards started tossing boulders among the petrified, just out o' spite. Can't revivify someone who's been pulverized. Where were you?~
== ~BKELDOR~ ~[KELDORN] Commanding the Third Division.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Next inn, I am buying. An' you want me to do anything, anything at all, my sword is yours.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-arankeldorn","GLOBAL",0) InParty("Keldorn") InMyArea("Keldorn") !StateCheck("Keldorn",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-arankeldornbanter
~[ARAN] This work's different from Merchant's Guild or even mercenary work. Very different from the army.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-arankeldorn","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BKELDOR~ ~[KELDORN] It relies more on small unit tactics and magic use, but the fundamentals are the same.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] How so?~
== ~BKELDOR~ ~[KELDORN] It requires close attention to your comerades, a carefully thought out plan, flexibility after contact with the enemy, and faith that we shall prevail.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I just figure there is only so much we can do with so few against so many.~
== ~BKELDOR~ ~[KELDORN] Aran, you forget. *We* are the few. That makes a tremendous difference.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-korganaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~
THEN ~BKORGAN~ c-korganaranbanter
~[KORGAN] Get out o' me way, ye great lunkin' arse. I can't see.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-korganaran","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] There's naught to see, Korgan. No available females to leer at.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Jaheira") InMyArea("Jaheira") !StateCheck("Jaheira",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Unless you count Jaheira's legs...~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Mazzy") InMyArea("Mazzy") !StateCheck("Mazzy",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Or are you lookin' at Mazzy again?~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Aerie") InMyArea("Aerie") !StateCheck("Aerie",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Aerie complained to <CHARNAME> last time you tried to look up under her robes.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Nalia") InMyArea("Nalia") !StateCheck("Nalia",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Nalia is not your type, anyways.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Viconia") InMyArea("Viconia") !StateCheck("Viconia",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] You can't be lookin' at the Drowess. Even you don't have that much a death wish.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Imoen2") InMyArea("Imoen2") !StateCheck("Imoen2",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] And if you are lookin' at Imoen, she's not lookin' so happy. I'd steer clear of her for awhile.~
== ~BKORGAN~ ~[KORGAN] If you are all finished with yer blather, shaddup. Ye look down from th' top, I look up from th' bottom, an' neither gets naught but a glimpse o' flesh. Besides, better t' pay good coin fer a wench ye know will do th' job and then move on. No ties, no partners, an' ye get ter trade up when ye get more coin. Never th' same twice, if ye know what I be sayin'.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Sounds lonelier than a half-orc trader in the Ten Towns. You don't want to feel like somethin' special, be the only one for her?~
== ~BKORGAN~ ~[KORGAN] What, are ye deaf an' stupid, or just a woman? You been listenen' t'all that pansy elf-talk 'bout true love. All that mush slows a man down. I got places ter go, people ter kill, an' a fortune ter build. A weak woman will slow me down, an' a strong one will speed me up an' make me share th' profits. Damn 'em all, weak an' strong, ter the Ninth Ring o' Hades.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Nope, I can't agree with that. I have enough trouble holding their attention when they are on *this* plane.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-arankorgan","GLOBAL",0) InParty("Korgan") InMyArea("Korgan") !StateCheck("Korgan",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-arankorganbanter
~[ARAN] Ho, shortaxe, you dropped something.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-arankorgan","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BKORGAN~ ~[KORGAN] Did not. Shut yer mouth, boyo.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I'm serious. Here. You dropped it.~
== ~BKORGAN~ ~[KORGAN] Lemme see.~
== ~BKORGAN~ ~[KORGAN] That's mine. You take it?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Cyric's Blighted Arse, I just picked it up 'cause you dropped it.~
== ~BKORGAN~ ~[KORGAN] What's your take?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I don't want anything.~
== ~BKORGAN~ ~[KORGAN] What's the catch?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] By Torm's Left Hand, no catch.~
== ~BKORGAN~ ~[KORGAN] I'm a watchin' ye, boyo. Wi' both eyes.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] No good deed goes unpunished.~
== ~BKORGAN~ ~[KORGAN] Shaddup. An' walk in front o' me.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-mazzyaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~BMAZZY~ c-mazzyaranbanter
~[MAZZY] Lift me up, please, Aran.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-mazzyaran","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Sure. What do you need?~ 
== ~BMAZZY~  ~[MAZZY] There are many advantages to being small. Unfortunately, getting a vantage point to see ahead is not one of them.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I don't mind you ridin' on my shoulder for a bit.~ 
== ~BMAZZY~  ~[MAZZY] No thank you. Just a quick look.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Didn't mean to offend, or anything. You are no child, to protect. I'd lock shields with you on the wall any day.~
== ~BMAZZY~  ~[MAZZY] No offense taken. Lock shields? That doesn't seem like a good idea given our relative sizes. And I prefer my bow.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] No, sorry. It means I gladly watch your back, knowing you will honorably watch mine.~
== ~BMAZZY~  ~[MAZZY] Oh. Well then, thanks. Tell you what. You watch my head, I'll watch your ankles, and between the two of us we will square them off top and bottom.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Sounds like a great plan.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-aranmazzy","GLOBAL",0) InParty("Mazzy") InMyArea("Mazzy") !StateCheck("Mazzy",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-aranmazzybanter
~[ARAN] Mazzy, you pull a mean bow. You ever served in the military?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranmazzy","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BMAZZY~  ~[MAZZY] We Hin do not really have a military to serve in, Aran. Just the TrueSwords. We defend when called.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] But I have seen mercenary companies of halfling folk. Some units of irregulars, slingers, mostly. An' I have heard of a whole company of your folk who ride mounted war pigs into battle, which sounds right funny. Except the man who told o' it spoke with respect, an' a whole orc tribal warparty confused, coralled, and massacred without loss.~
== ~BMAZZY~  ~[MAZZY] We are an independent and self-reliant people. There are those who seek more adventure, and go beyond our communities. I have fought alongside companies similar to what you describe.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Just not in 'em?~
== ~BMAZZY~  ~[MAZZY] Aran, would it offend you if I said that being a sellsword is not particularly honorable among my people?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] No. 'Tis the same among many folks of many races. I'm no prize to bring home to mother, nor one to bring into polite company, even if I try not to swear too much. It doesn't offend me none.~
== ~BMAZZY~  ~[MAZZY] Well, in my eyes, you are not a sellsword. You are a strong friend. I would be honored to bring you home to meet my family. On the understanding that you are friend, of course.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-minscaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~BMINSC~ c-minscaranbanter
~[MINSC] Look at this, Aran! Is this not a great weapon with which to smite evil?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-minscaran","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Aye, it is a fine weapon. But I can tell you, the weapon is not as important as the wielder, Minsc.~
== ~BMINSC~  ~[MINSC] I do not understand. Do we not need weapons to buttkick for goodness?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Well, I had a friend in the Moonshea Shield Company, see. She was a good fighter, out o' Ten Towns, followin' the ways of Tempus. We were in a tight spot, overrun, and the shield wall broke. Literally, in fact. That Gond-blighted crap they called 'iron' burst to shards in half o' our hands, so we had about half of us without weapons.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Charis, she gets this funny look in her eye, just like you do sometimes, Minsc. An' she steps up in front o' the shield wall, and begins to chant. They charged us again, an' it looked dark, but Charis just grabbed hold o' one of the Throne lackeys. She took him an' used him as a huge mace, batterin' them down left, right, an' front, 'till there weren't much left of the charge, or of the Throne mercenaries either.~
== ~BMINSC~  ~[MINSC] This woman sounds like a valiant hero, Aran! I should like to meet her!~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I'm in no hurry to make the introduction, my friend. Second campaign, she got caught by a wand o' paralysis, an' couldn't avoid a fire giant boulder hit. She's in Tempus' halls now, singin' and fightin'.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-aranminsc","GLOBAL",0) InParty("Minsc") InMyArea("Minsc") !StateCheck("Minsc",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-aranminscbanter
~[ARAN] Minsc, you are a good man. You protect Aerie right well.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranminsc","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BMINSC~  ~[MINSC] She is my witch.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Well, look here, this is delicate... but Aerie is a fine lookin' lass, and powerful. Haven't you ever thought, well...~
== ~BMINSC~  ~[MINSC] Boo helps me with thinking things, Aran, but even he cannot tell what you are asking. Thought what?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] She is a beautiful girl. You are a powerful man. She is dedicated to goodness. You are dedicated to goodness. She needs protection. You provide protection. Is any of this makin' any sense?~
== ~BMINSC~  ~[MINSC] Of course, my friend. I do not need Boo to help me with this. She is my witch.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] (sigh) Minsc. Have you ever thought of askin' Aerie if she would be more than your witch?~
== ~BMINSC~  ~[MINSC] Aran you are a funny man. What more could she be than my witch?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Never you mind. But next time we are in town, I think you an' me, we are gonna go visit some public houses. Sounds like someone fergot to give you some basic education.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-naliaaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-naliaaranbanter
~[NALIA] Why are you avoiding me, Aran? I enjoy talking with people like you.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-naliaaran","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] People like me.~
== ~BNALIA~  ~[NALIA] Yes. I have helped many of your kind, and I try so hard to make sure that people of my class treat you people with respect.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Look, Nalia. You are right good lookin', and I don't mind the chatter, but let's not talk about this any more.~
== ~BNALIA~  ~[NALIA] See, there you go again. Why are you avoiding me?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Well, let's just say that I have had my fill of 'your people' using 'my people' as pawns in a live chess game. When battle starts, 'your people' are the ones in armor protected by magic, shielded an' away from the fray. 'My people' are the ones dying permanent-like, crushed and mangled by magic and siege engines.~
== ~BNALIA~  ~[NALIA] My father often said that is just the way the rules of war set things up, Aran.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] No offense to your father, Nalia, but there's the problem. In war, there are no rules, except one. Win.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-arannalia","GLOBAL",0) InParty("Nalia") InMyArea("Nalia") !StateCheck("Nalia",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-arannaliabanter
~[ARAN] So, Nalia, you ever been dancin'?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-arannalia","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BNALIA~  ~[NALIA] Of course. The Midwinter Festival, the regular series of social functions, and many lessons. I have even learned a few of your people's steps, those quaint country dances.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Think you could teach me some steps next inn we stay at?~
== ~BNALIA~  ~[NALIA] That depends. Would you be trying to dance like you were at our last stay?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] She was right sprightly, wasn't she. I was thinkin'...~
== ~BNALIA~  ~[NALIA] I think we had better not, Aran. You two were spirited, but there were some things that a lady just doesn't do in public.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Well, we could move into somewhere more private, you know.~
== ~BNALIA~  ~[NALIA] I don't know everything, Aran, but I think I can recognise a pass when I hear one. What would <CHARNAME> say?~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~GlobalLT("c-aranlovebg2","GLOBAL",2)~ THEN~[ARAN] I was just jokin' with you, is all, Nalia. I wanted to see if you'd blush.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~GlobalGT("c-aranlovebg2","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN ~[ARAN] I don't know. Let's ask <PROHIMHER>.~
== ~BNALIA~  IF ~GlobalGT("c-aranlovebg2","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN ~[NALIA] I'm not interested, Aran. You will have to find someone else to seduce.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF WEIGHT #-1 ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-valygararan","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~
THEN ~BVALYGA~ c-valygararanbanter
~[VALYGAR] So, Whitehand, who are you?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-valygararan","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Let's just say... I'm a friend.~
== ~BVALYGA~ ~[VALYGAR] That is not very enlightening.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Look, did I say I was *your* friend?~
== ~BVALYGA~ ~[VALYGAR] You did not. Perhaps I should rephrase my question. What do you do in this party, what is your purpose for existance, and why should I trust you with my life?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I see things, an' I kill them. One in awhile, they try to kill me.~
== ~BVALYGA~ ~[VALYGAR] Ah. A kindred spirit.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Why, do you kill things, too?~
== ~BVALYGA~ ~[VALYGAR] Occasionally. Though lately, it appears that there are more things trying to kill me.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Hey, the tryin', that's no problem. It only gets tricky if they manage to do it.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-aranvalygar","GLOBAL",0) InParty("Valygar") InMyArea("Valygar") !StateCheck("Valygar",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-aranvalygarbanter
~[ARAN] Come on, Valygar, it's a great day, and we haven't been killed yet. There's probaby a nice set o' monsterous creatures right over the next hill, waitin' to rip us into bloody chunks and serve us wi' a nice side dish, but right now, things are lookin' up!~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranvalygar","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BVALYGA~ ~[VALYGAR] You just do not seem to understand, Aran. There will *always* be creatures bent on our destruction.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Now that you mention it, we keep seein' more and more adversaries. We kill a few, an' then we move on, only to find more have taken their place.~
== ~BVALYGA~ ~[VALYGAR] It is a vicious circle.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Yep. Just keeps going around and around.~
== ~BVALYGA~ ~[VALYGAR] It never stops.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] That's what makes it vicious.~
== ~BVALYGA~ ~[VALYGAR] And a circle.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] You sure can depress a guy, boyo.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-viconiaaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~BVICONI~ c-viconiaaranbanter
~[VICONIA] Stop straing at me iblith. I have not summoned your attention to pleae me. Where I come from, there are consequences for males with eyes too bold.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-viconiaaran","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] You flatter yourself, drowess. I'd as soon spawn with a spider.~
== ~BVICONI~ ~[VICONIA] Keep your eyes and your thoughts away, surface scum, or I shall make your meager existence painful.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I'm no paladin of the Cryin' God, drowess. I know what you represent, and what your kind do. You flinch once, an' I will be there, watchin' for my chance.~
== ~BVICONI~ ~[VICONIA] You are smarter than I thought, iblith. But your paranoia is wasted. Much greater forces than you have died waiting for that opportunity.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-aranviconia","GLOBAL",0) InParty("viconia") InMyArea("viconia") !StateCheck("viconia",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-aranviconiabanter
~[ARAN] Move away from me, Drowess.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranviconia","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BVICONI~ ~[VICONIA] I stand where I please, surfacer.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Your stench gets on my nerves. An' I don't want you movin' behind me all the time in combat.~
== ~BVICONI~ ~[VICONIA] The only reason you remain alive, filhth, is your meager utility as a meat-shield.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Bad thinkin', Drowess. Now I know that, I might just stop, drop, an' roll next time the arrows head my way.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Your stench gets on my nerves. An' I don't want you movin' behind me all the time in combat.~
== ~BVICONI~ ~[VICONIA] Your cowardice will be just as useful. While you are down there, you can lick my boots as befits your station.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-yoshimoaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~BYOSHIM~ c-yoshimoaranbanter
~[YOSHIMO] So, my fine friend. Do you think our leader knows exactly what <PRO-HESHE> is doing?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-yoshimoaran","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Why are you askin', Yoshimo? You don't usually hold much wi' small talk.~
== ~BYOSHIM~ ~[YOSHIMO] I am interested in discovering the subtleties of common languge. Your usage is most... interesting. I usually work alone. Perhaps you have an opinion I might find of use.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Who knows, with <CHARNAME>? One day <PRO-HESHE>'s up, another day <PRO-HESHE>'s down. The <PRO-MANWOMAN>'s nuttier than a berrygobbler's cheeks in autumn. The point is... <PRO-HESHE>'s standin' right behind me, right?~
== ~BYOSHIM~ ~[YOSHIMO] Behind you, two feet to the left.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Bugger.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-aranyoshimo","GLOBAL",0) InParty("Yoshimo") InMyArea("Yoshimo") !StateCheck("Yoshimo",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-aranyoshimobanter
~[ARAN] So, you hunt folks for fun an' profit, eh?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranyoshimo","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BYOSHIM~ ~[YOSHIMO] An insteresting vocation, I know. And lucrative at times.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I don't know if I'd like that.~
== ~BYOSHIM~ ~[YOSHIMO] Friend Aran, when did the gods decree that we should enjoy our purposes in life?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] You've got a point there.~
== ~BYOSHIM~ ~[YOSHIMO] It is not as distasteful as it might seem. There are benefits to remaining on the open road, living the life of a hunter.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] What happens when it's time to stop an' retire?~
== ~BYOSHIM~ ~[YOSHIMO] There is planning, and then there is chancing the wrath of the gods. I will think of that when I am unable to lift myself from my bedroll.~
EXIT

~[IMOEN] Aran, you've gotta keep your eyes to yourslf more.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Hey, what did I do?~ 
== ~BIMOEN2~ ~[IMOEN] Well, you keep lettin' yer eyes drift south, so to speak. Every time you're talkin' to a girl.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Cyric's black... oh, hells. Yep. I'm doin' it again, right?~
== ~BIMOEN2~ ~[IMOEN] Some girls might like hat. But most dont want the unwanted attention, unless they're tellin' you they're interested.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Are you tellin' me you're interested?~
== ~BIMOEN2~ ~[IMOEN] (whack)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Ouch. Damn. Sorry. Not good to kid a friend what's tryin' to help out wi' the whole 'not tick women off' thing ~
== ~BIMOEN2~ ~[IMOEN] Hey, no problem. Tha's what friends are for.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-aranimoen","GLOBAL",0) InParty("Imoen2") InMyArea("Imoen2") !StateCheck("Imoen2",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-aranimoenbanter
~[ARAN] Hey, Imoen, you ok? ~
== ~BIMOEN2~ ~[IMOEN] I'm fine, Aran.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] You don't look fine. You look a mite sick, an green about the gills. Plus, none o' your usual fire in the eyes. So, I gotta ask again: you ok?~
== ~BIMOEN2~ ~[IMOEN] Memories.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Oh.~
== ~BIMOEN2~ ~[IMOEN] They don't go away, do they.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Well, I've seen an' done some raw things in my time, for sure. An' there's times when the ones that hurt, you gotta go out an' bury them. Grab a willing lass for entertainment, get royally drunk, get thrown in jail, the whole rabble-rousing carousing crap.~
== ~BIMOEN2~ ~[IMOEN] Does that help?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] hells, no. You wake up hung over, missin' your purse an' all your coin, an' no better off than when you left. But you forgot while it was happenin', see?~
== ~BIMOEN2~ ~[IMOEN] I don't think that will help me.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Well, what if...~
== ~BIMOEN2~ ~[IMOEN] Aran, thanks, but quit trying to help. Some things a woman just has to learn to live through themselves.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Right enough. Alls I can say is, I wish there was somethin'I could do to help. Want to fix things, somehow, you know. Anyways, right. I'll be right over there, if I get needed or somethin'.~
EXIT

Well now, bases covered - regardless of standard BioWare NPCs around, there are two interactions that help define Aran's character in relation to those other NPCs. Step 2 is to see which of these puppies really will be enhanced by adding the Greek Chorus of potential party members, and which ones relly should follow the "less is more" approach. Time to go away, think about other things, and come back later. There are still two major banter file concepts to mess about with, both of which increase story immersion: the creation of crossmod content, bantering between and with mod-added NPCs, and the idea of "solo-player" banters; friendship talks which float outside of the sequential friendhip discovery, and will work/play whether the PC is in a 2 actor party or a group. In both cases, it involves some more fancy coding, so we will leave that for another exploration.

Next week, ToB banters. Similar, but not. Probably need to finish those before relooking at the SoA ones here to see what othr NPCs would have to say. And what friendship ideas don't fit into the basic sequence, and could be modified to be banters.

*gets out her trusty pitchfork and goes typo-hunting* I'm putting corrections in red. Feel free to tell me to bugger off :)

== ~BANOMEN~ ~[ANOMEN] Good hygiene is just as important on the trail as a clean and sharpened weapon, Whitehand. I comb through my hair as often as I polish my armor, for precisely the same reason. You could use some cleaning up yourself.~

== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Cyric's Flaming Arse.~

== ~BEDWIN~ ~[EDWIN] (If that truly were the case, I would ally myself with your feet, you overgrown chimp.) I could create such a transport. But a more intelligent being would recognise it as a broadcasting of both our power and our position.~

== ~BHAERDA~ ~[HAERDALIS] Ah, but the simplest are often the best. Come, tell me a tale. Entertain this poor sparrow, before he begins tearing at the nest in boredom and ennui!~

== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Well, I did here tell of a bard who got bored one day. So he turns to his friend, and says, 'Fred, tell us a story.'~ (this one is listed three times)

== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Sure thing! Many's the time the trail has been lightened by simple song. How about 'Ninety-nine bottles o' Ale on th' Wall, Ninety-nine bottles o' Ale, Take one down an' pass it around; Ninety-eight bottles o' Ale on the Wall. Ninety-eight bottles o' Ale on the Wall, Ninety-eight bottles o' Ale, Take one down...~

== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] OK, let me give it a shot. How about 'Happy Haer'Dalis'?~

== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Minsc") InMyArea("Minsc") !StateCheck("Minsc",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Mad Minsc. That's not quite right, though. Make it Magnificent. I'd take him 'side me on a shield wall any day o' the week, 'giant space hamster' an' all.~

== ~BJAHEIR~ ~[JAHEIRA] Nature demands age be shown in different manners to different races. That belt is too tight. Loosen it at once.~

== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] You look way too shapely to be anyone's mother. In fact, your eyes, they - OUCH!~

== ~BJAHEIR~ ~[JAHEIRA] Stop squirming. Flattery will not get you out of proper equipment discipline. And next time we pass a stream, avail yourself of Nature's bounty, and wash behind your ears.~

== ~BJAHEIR~ ~[JAHEIRA] I thought you kept your own stock from Calimport. No-one has complained so far. Why do you need my help? ~

== ~BJAHEIR~ ~[JAHEIRA] Yes, yes... I am sure I have gone over this before, somewhere. Nutritious, simple, solid sources of nutrients, easily integrated into many recipes...~

== ~BJAN~ ~[JAN] The same applied to Uncle Maurice, I am afraid. We finally found out he had died in the Great Turnip Blight of '72, during one of our famous Family Storytelling Competitions. He was just too bored to move on to the next part of the Great Wheel.~

== ~BKELDOR~ ~[KELDORN] It requires close attention to your comrades, a carefully thought out plan, flexibility after contact with the enemy, and faith that we shall prevail.~

~[ARAN] Come on, Valygar, it's a great day, and we haven't been killed yet. There's probably a nice set o' monstrous creatures right over the next hill, waitin' to rip us into bloody chunks and serve us wi' a nice side dish, but right now, things are lookin' up!~

~[VICONIA] Stop staring at me iblith. I have not summoned your attention to please me. Where I come from, there are consequences for males with eyes too bold.~

== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I'm no paladin of the Cryin' God, Drowess. I know what you represent, and what your kind do. You flinch once, an' I will be there, watchin' for my chance.~

== ~BVICONI~ ~[VICONIA] The only reason you remain alive, filth, is your meager utility as a meat-shield.~

== ~BYOSHIM~ ~[YOSHIMO] I am interested in discovering the subtleties of common language. Your usage is most... interesting. I usually work alone. Perhaps you have an opinion I might find of use.~

== ~BYOSHIM~ ~[YOSHIMO] An interesting vocation, I know. And lucrative at times.~

== ~BIMOEN2~ ~[iMOEN] Some girls might like that. But most dont want the unwanted attention, unless they're tellin' you they're interested.~

== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] You don't look fine. You look a mite sick, an' green about the gills. Plus, none o' your usual fire in the eyes. So, I gotta ask again: you ok?~

== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Hells, no. You wake up hung over, missin' your purse an' all your coin, an' no better off than when you left. But you forgot while it was happenin', see?~

== ~BIMOEN2~ ~[iMOEN] Aran, thanks, but quit trying to help. Some things a woman just has to learn to live through herself.~

Also, the Minsc-Aran banter concerning Aerie as Minsc's witch needs a further condition of Global("MinscWitch","GLOBAL",1) to preserve the 4th wall.

Revisited and spellchecked. This version adds a bunch of NPC additional responses to the Haer'Dalis <> Aran interchange, and changes the romance variable to c-aranromance, fixes some oddities, and incorporates RavenBlack's notes (including Global("MinscWitch","GLOBAL",1) trigger check for the knowledge about Misc and Aerie).

file: aran/dlg/c-aransoa.d

/* BG2 Banters */

CHAIN IF  ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-anomenaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~BANOMEN~ c-anomenaranbanter
~[ANOMEN] Your language is offensive, Whitehand. You should think before speaking. Stubbing your toe like that does not warrant dispensing such calls to the gods.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-anomenaran","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Bugger off, tin-can.~
== ~BANOMEN~ ~[ANOMEN] I will not be treated with such disrespect. Your language offends me and is not appropriate for our company. Apologise at once, or I shall teach you your manners.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Look, Delryn. How many wars have you served in? How many battles?~
== ~BANOMEN~ ~[ANOMEN] That has no bearing on this discussion.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] If you ever sat down with your troops, laddie, you'd know that swearin' is a natural thing. And the tighter the spot, the tougher the language.~
== ~BANOMEN~ ~[ANOMEN] There is no excuse for such offensive language in any situation.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] (sigh.) Look, laddie. I'm not goin' to make a capital case o' this. I'm not one of your troops. I'm not one of your lords or such. And I am not likely to curb my tongue. I served under an officer once who thought he'd clean us all up and make us gentleman.~
== ~BANOMEN~ ~[ANOMEN] He obviously failed.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] To be fair, it was difficult for him. We caught him in an Inn in Baldur's Gate, beat th' crap out of him, and tossed him bound an' gagged in the bilge of a long-haul galley sailing for Calimport. By the time he got back, the Flaming Fist had decided he wasn't good combat material and made him a staff officer. Supply, I believe.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-arananomen","GLOBAL",0) InParty("Anomen") InMyArea("Anomen") !StateCheck("Anomen",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-arananomenbanter
~[ARAN] Oghma's Truth, Delryn, don't you ever stop?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-arananomen","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BANOMEN~ ~[ANOMEN] Good hygiene is just as important on the trail as a clean and sharpened weapon, Whitehand. I comb through my hair as often as I polish my armor, for precisely the same reason. You could use some cleaning up yourself.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] What you call 'cleaning' I call 'preening'.~
== ~BANOMEN~ ~[ANOMEN] Our enemies should understand that they face a true and righteous foe, clean in mind, body, and spirit.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] By the Nine Brothers of Hell, you have been on parade too long. Don't you know that all you're doing is settin' yourself up as a big shiny target, screaming 'kill me first, I'm too pretty to live'? For Torm's sake, at least put a cloak over that mirror polish.~
== ~BANOMEN~ ~[ANOMEN] I do not expect you to understand.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN]  Ilmater's Blood, I do not expect you to survive.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-aeriearan","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~BAERIE~ c-aeriearanbanter
~[AERIE] Why are you looking at me, Aran?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-aeriearan","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Sorry. I meant no harm. I haven't seen many Avariel. I just was interested, is all. How you move, an' such.~
== ~BAERIE~  ~[AERIE] Y- you should not look at me that way, Aran. It reminds me of awful horrible times. To be gaped at and looked at like an exhibit. It is ugly, and mean.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Kelemvor's Scales, Aerie, I didn't mean that at all. I... look. I have a rovin' eye, and I appreciate th' female form. You are really beautiful. I didn't mean to offend. I was lookin' where I shouldn't, and I'll try not to look again. I just have not seen such a beautiful lass in a long time, beggin' your pardon.~
== ~BAERIE~  ~[AERIE] Me? I am not beautiful. You were... you were looking at things you shouldn't?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Well, see, the hem o' your robe was slipping a bit under the backpack strap, and there's a little bit o'...~
== ~BAERIE~  ~[AERIE] ARAN!~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] See, me an' my big mouth. Now you've gone and covered up. And you blush bright, too. Sorry, didn't mean no harm.~
== ~BAERIE~  ~[AERIE] You could have warned me.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I am sorry, Aerie. I'll try to be more gentlemanly next time. I promise, I really will.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-aranaerie","GLOBAL",0) InParty("Aerie") InMyArea("Aerie") !StateCheck("Aerie",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-aranaeriebanter
~[ARAN] Aerie, do you want a hand practicing a bit?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranaerie","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BAERIE~  ~[AERIE] Practicing?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Practicing combat moves. Sometimes magic isn't enough, you know. Sometimes you have to get a bit o' the rough an' tumble.~
== ~BAERIE~  ~[AERIE] Well, if you think it is a good idea...~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Sure. Here, hold this branch. No, girl, hold it like it was a dagger. Yes. Now, push it forward, and...~
== ~BAERIE~  ~[AERIE] EEEEK!~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] See, that wraparound, an' you have your attacker pinned in your arms.~
== ~BAERIE~  ~[AERIE] Oh, I see. But Aran, your hands are... I mean, I wouldn't feel comfortable with my hands like that on someone I don't know.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Oh. Sorry about that. Just a little high, I think. No, you'd want to be a bit lower. Ok, you try.~
== ~BAERIE~  ~[AERIE] All right. So you lunge like this, and I twist like this, and swing, and...~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] *urk*~
== ~BAERIE~  ~[AERIE] Oh, Aran, I am so sorry! I have a healing spell, I think; I didn't mean to hit so low! Can you straighten up at all?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Nay, there, girl - you did right. Your attacker wouldn't be thinkin' much of anythin' for awhile. But let me alone just a bit, will you? Placing a healing touch down there is a mite more personal than I think you'd be wantin' between us.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF WEIGHT #-1 ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-cerndaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~BCERND~ c-cerndaranbanter
~[CERND] At times you seem like the staunch oak of the northern hardwood forests, Aran. But you also appear as flexible as the willows growing by the soft midland rivers. Have you thought of serving the cause of balance and nature?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-cerndaran","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] You talk like a bard, my friend, not a druid.~
== ~BCERND~  ~[CERND] Thank you. But you have not answered my question. Your skills and flexibility would serve the Great Balance well.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Look, I appreciate th' compliment you intend, but Nature's a hash mistress.~
== ~BCERND~  ~[CERND] You appear worthy of the challenge. You seem to swear by many gods, so I think you have no true calling. That risks your soul and your place on the Great Wheel.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I think Tymora enjoys my takin' chances with the other gods. She guides my fortunes well enough. But I appreciate the compliment.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-arancernd","GLOBAL",0) InParty("Cernd") InMyArea("Cernd") !StateCheck("Cernd",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-arananomenbanter
~[ARAN] Would you stop that?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-arancernd","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BCERND~  ~[CERND] Stop what, Aran?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] You are breakin' your stride, and hopping back an' forth. I can't watch for trouble with all that movin' about distractin' me.~
== ~BCERND~  ~[CERND] I was merely avoiding the ants. Like small armies, they gather their food. They need no destruction to befall them from my stride through their habitat.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] You're playin' with me, aren't you.~
== ~BCERND~  ~[CERND] No.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Cyric's Flaming Arse.~
EXIT

== ~BEDWIN~  ~[EDWIN] If you were my servant, I would have you bound and whipped for daring to speak to me. Stop wriggling, ape. I still need to tighten the bottom strap.~
== ~BEDWIN~  ~[EDWIN] FOOL! Your idiotic gyrations have cast me into the mire! I will run hot lead in the marrow of your bones!~
== ~BEDWIN~  ~[EDWIN] (pffttt.) Run, simian. Mere incompetence does not explain dropping me into the mire then pouring water over my head. Your death will be slow, and painful.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF WEIGHT #-1 ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-aranedwin","GLOBAL",0) InParty("edwin") InMyArea("edwin") !StateCheck("edwin",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-aranedwinbanter
~[ARAN] Hey, wizard. Why don't you just whip us up some magical transport, an' give us all a rest. My feet are killin' me.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranedwin","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BEDWIN~  ~[EDWIN] (If that truly were the case, I would ally myself with your feet, you overgrown chimp.) I could create such a transport. But a more intelligent being would recognise it as a broadcasting of both our power and our position.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Well, with the gear we've got, every magic user within a mile should be able to see us blazin' like a torch, shouldn't they?~
== ~BEDWIN~  ~[EDWIN] Leave the arcane discussions to your betters. Or even beings with some semblance of intelligence. You come ill-equipped for such conversation.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Just tryin' to better myself. I can read an' read, but when push comes to shove, there's times when I need guidance. Figured you bein' smart and all, you could help out a bit.~
== ~BEDWIN~  ~[EDWIN] My intelligence is more than adequate to bring your feeble strivings progress. I will assist you first by sending you on a quest for the definitions of 'can not' and 'will not'.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] So you are saying that you can help, but you won't.~
== ~BEDWIN~  ~[EDWIN] Congratulations, sellsword. You have graduated from mindless slug to birdbrain.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-haerdalisaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~BHAERDA~ c-haerdalisaranbanter
~[HAERDALIS] Come, my brown eagle. Let us pass the time, and tell stories of valor and of victory, of love lost and found. Anything but the tedium of the endless march.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-haerdalisaran","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I'd trade fair an' square with you, Haer'Dalis, but I've only got simple stories.~
== ~BHAERDA~ ~[HAERDALIS] Ah, but the simplest are often the best. Come, tell me a tale. Entertain this poor sparrow, before he begins tearing at the nest in boredom and ennui!~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Well, I did hear tell of a bard who got bored one day. So he turns to his friend, and says, 'Fred, tell us a story.'~
== ~BHAERDA~ ~[HAERDALIS] Aran.~
== ~BHAERDA~ ~[HAERDALIS] ARAN.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Yes, my friend?~
== ~BHAERDA~ ~[HAERDALIS] I do believe that I understand the story. Perhaps we should explore song, instead, my eagle.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Sure thing! Many's the time the trail has been lightened by simple song. How about 'Ninety-nine bottles o' Ale on th' Wall, Ninety-nine bottles o' Ale, Take one down an' pass it around; Ninety-eight bottles o' Ale on the Wall. Ninety-eight bottles o' Ale on the Wall, Ninety-eight bottles o' Ale, Take one down...~
== ~BHAERDA~ ~[HAERDALIS] May the gods have mercy on our ears.~
EXIT

CHAIN ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-aranhaerdalis","GLOBAL",0) InParty("HaerDalis") InMyArea("HaerDalis") !StateCheck("HaerDalis",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-aranhaerdalisbanter
~[ARAN] Hey, bard, my boyo... lend me a hand, will you?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranhaerdalis","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BHAERDA~ ~[HAERDALIS] I revel in the change and cadence of your speech, my eagle. You blend the accents of a dozen cultures in one sentence. What is it you wish?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I can read this stuff here, but I can't remember it. I keep trying, but I just can't get it memorized. You seem to remember everything, an' your lifespan's a mite longer than mine. How do you do it?~
== ~BHAERDA~ ~[HAERDALIS] Mnemonics. The occult study of memorization by association. For instance, I think of Artless Aran. That brings a mental picture of you, and assists my recall of all sorts of interesting things. Here, try it yourself. Look at a person, and think of a description mirroring the name. it will serve you well.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] OK, let me give it a shot. How about 'Happy Haer'Dalis'?~
== ~BHAERDA~ ~[HAERDALIS] While this poor sparrow is not always happy, I think you have the idea, Aran. A huge generalization that acts as an index to memory. But keep your voice low, my friend. Not everyone is amused by playing such games with their names.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Jaheira")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Jabbing Jaheira. Pokes everyone all day with those elbows an' that tongue. Means well enough, though.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Aerie")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Angelic Aerie. Beautiful, needs protection, damaged... but she'll take your heart with her eyes while you run from her constant complainin'.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Jan")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Jawin' Jan. He never shuts his trap. Nice, but just can't stop jawin'.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Keldorn")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Knightly Keldorn. Ok, that is fair enough.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Korgan")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Killer Korgan. Aye, that works.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Mazzy")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Merciful Mazzy. She is a stout heart, an' true.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Minsc")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Mad Minsc. That's not quite right, though. Make it Magnificent. I'd take him 'side me on a shield wall any day o' the week, 'giant space hamster' an' all.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Nalia")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Neophyte Nalia. It's a book word, but 'spoiled and clueless with a body to make a man blush' doesn't fit the pattern, I guess.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Valygar")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Vehement Valygar. All business an' no real pleasure. Someone's got to get that man a pint an' a good tumble wi' a fine wench, and soon. Too tightly wound, that one.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Anomen")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Arseholic Anomen. Stuck up prig.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Viconia")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Vicious Viconia. Brings new meanin' to the phrase 'the only good drow is a dead drow'. Pity she's so useful. More pity I can't help her find her god. Preferably in small pieces ready for reassembly.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Yoshimo")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Yoshimo. Hmmm. There's a challenge. How about Useful Yoshimo?~
== ~BHAERDA~ IF ~InParty("Yoshimo")~ THEN ~[HAERDALIS] Not quite the letter of the game, all puns intended, but certainly within the spirit. Go on...~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Imoen2")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Irrepressible Imoen. She gets dragged around, tortured, near to killed, an' she bounces back up an' keeps moving. There's a real woman, an' a fine companion.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("ADANGEL")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Adventurous Angelo. Good enough; he's seen a mite bit o' adventure on both sides o' this conflict, I think.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("Anishai")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Attractive Ainshai. Sune's Slender Wrists, that one will drive a man to drink, she will.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("Azure")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Aloof Azure. Not quite right, but close enough, on account o' her built in chaperone.  Sharo's got one eye on me most o' th' time.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("B!Gavin")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Gallant Gavin. I'd have gone for Gregarious, on account o' he gets along wi' most folks, but he's a plain spoken lad, he is.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("b!haldamir")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Haldamir. Now, then, whet rhymes wi' 'H' what means 'keeps to himself at all times'? I done got it - I'll use an elven word for an elf. Helkaer Haldamir. Means 'icy one' in lammen Tel Quessir, that does.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("BIDDE")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Bright Bouncin' Biddlekorak, on account o' he be followin' Lathander, an' he be short an' round like one o' them bouncin' ball children's toys.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("Britt")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Bemused Britt. O' course, if you be readin' this line, you done CLUAConsoled a character what's not supposed to be in-party, and JCompton will be comin' around right smart to kick your sorry arse, he will.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("BWTOUCHX")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Twiggy Touchstone. That reminds me. I need to get th' boy a bath, an' right quick. There's bein' part o' nature, sure, but once in awhile it might be a good idea to wash some o' it off.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("CALLISTO")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Crazed Callisto. You don't rightly want to be around when she gets enraged, eh? There's no tellin' where her weapons get pointed.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("CHLOE")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Chaotic Chloe. I'm not sayin' no more.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("CMALORA")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Affable Alora. Tymora's Smile, that halflin' lass is th' sprightliest an' happiest bein' I know!~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("CMGMIRIAM")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Malevolent Miriam. Damned bloodsucker. I need to get me a now holy symbol an' some more garlic.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("CMNIKITA")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Nimble Nikitalleria. Lathander's Light, what that girl can do wi' her fingers...~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("CMNINAF")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Naughty Ninafer. Well, she's not, really, but a lad can hope for change, can't he? Pity she looks right through me, as if I'm not there.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("CORAN")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Cunning Coran. The boy's got charm, an' he's sharp, he is. But not much else goin' on, I think.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("D#Silver")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Senseless SilverStar. I would run wi' 'sychotic', but it's not rightly spelled that way, now, eh?~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("D0Alassa")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Amoral Alassa. Now I know amoral an' evil aren't rightly th' same thing, but it be close enough for me.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("DL#BWN")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Beautiful Branwen. That Tempus-lovin' girl is a sight for sore eyes, she is.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("DYNAHEIR")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Delicate Dynaheir. I don't rightly know no 'd' words for aristocratic, an' she's not dainty. In fact, she's not rightly delicate. Let's change that, eh? Make it Determined Dynaheir.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("E3Fade")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Forceful Fade. She be th' kind what sees what she wants, an' gets it.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("FHLAND")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Artless Andrei. It don't rightly fit completely, on account o' him bein' a smart lad, just a raw recruit. A bit sheltered. But close enough.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("FHLSEB")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Slippery Sebastian. I 'm not rightly sure I have gotten a straight answer out o' that one. Nine times out o' ten, I think he knows more than he lets on, eh?~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("FINIREN")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Insane Irenicus. Bloody mad, an' evil. But I guess <CHARNAME> can handle him~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("FWGhareth")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Good-natured Ghareth. He tells some nice stories, he does. Good lad.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("G#CASS")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Chatty Cassius. Mask's Left Hand, the skald never shuts up, eh? Hey, don't be lookin' at me like that, Haer'Dalis! I shut up. Occasionally. When th' wind is right.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("GOZALOTH")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Goey Gozaloth. That floatin' eyeball never did say what all that goo was. And I'm not rightly sure I wan to know, anyways.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("Horace")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Harrowing Horace. I still get th' shakes just lookin' at him reachin for a weapon, straight through his own bony ribcage.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("Hubelpot")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Hungry Hubelpot. Corelon's Blade, he knows his food, he does. It's a right fine pleasure to watch him cook!~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("IYLOS")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Insolent Iylos. I suppose that be his job. But th' backtalk, well, he could be a mite more respectful. <CHARNAME>'s been a force for a long time, an' here comes th' big bad investigator.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("J#Kelsey")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Kindred Kelsey. He knows merchant, he knows some fightin' ways - an' I do think he's a right fine party member.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("JCBruce")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Barroom Bruce. On account o' I keep havin' to drag his sorry arse past, around, or out o' every single one we venture on.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("K#Auren")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Arresting Auren. You look her direction, an' your eyes get stopped in their tracks, they do. In a good way, o' course.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("K#Sarah")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Shy Sarah, lass-o-me-heart. She is a right fine friend, she is. No extra garbage, quiet, straight to the point, an' a might shy.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("K#SHEENA")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Scary Sheena. I keep expectin' to wake up as th' main course for her when she goes all firedrake random-like.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("KACHIKO")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Keen Kachiko. Keen mind, keen sword, keen tongue. Best to keep out o' all three's way.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("Kari")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Kind Kari. Nice enough furrball, an' she's developin' some skills. Still scared o' her own shadow, though.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("Keto")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Charismatic Keto. I know that's cheatin', but hey, it be my game - an' that lass is a right fine storyteller. She can drink me under th' table, sing like an angel, an' she's as smart as a whip. What's not to love?~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("KIARA")~ THEN ~[ARAN]  Kissable Kiara. Not that IO tried, or anythin'. I suspect she can kill me wi' her little finger. Them monks know things, they do.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("KINDREK")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Killer Kindrek. Bloody evil Cyric Buggerin' Bastard. Gotta keep both eyes open while I sleep, I do.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("Kiyone")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Kind Kiyone. She's nice enough, in her own way.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("Kova")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Keep - An - Eye - On Kova. Hard to trust him, no matter what we find out.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("LRIRENIC")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Insane Irenicus. Bloody mad, an' evil. But I guess <CHARNAME> can handle him.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("M#AMBER")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Auric Amber. She's cost a pretty coin or two to get sprung, but she does th' job an' brings in more coin to th' coffers, too.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("MTS#Shy")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Smashin' Shy. Literally. Chende don't rightly know th' word 'subtle'.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("MWAriena")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Artful Ariena. She'd make a right fine picture, she would. We would have to negotiate on how many clothes to leave on while posin', eh?~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("MWKido")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Killer Kido. Bloody evil Cyric Lovin' naysayer.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("NATH")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Friendly 'Fletcher. Good lad. An' it be a mite easier to find 'f' words what rhyme.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("Ninde")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Naughty Ninde. Or Necrophiliac Ninde; but for a spook-lover, she's right lively. I do enjoy watchin' her... err... back?~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("O#TIAX")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Troublesome Tiax. Terrible Tiax's Troubles Tried Tempers Twice Today, Together T'will Tip Tiax' Top Towards Total Torture. There, I got me a blighted tongue twister.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("O#XAN")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Xenophobic Xan, on account o' him bein' a Moonblade wielder an' all? No, it don't rightly fit. What's another 'X' word. Xysterous, like them healer's tools? No. Ok, how about wigglin' th' rules, an' goin' wi' Zealous Xan? He talks all doom an' gloom, but he doesn't back off from no fights.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("P#DEHER")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Dutiful Deheriana. She stayed true to Kivan right past th' changes on th' great wheel. But that was love, not duty. How about Deep, on account o' her deep love? Have to keep on thinkin' on that one.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("P#KIVAN")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Keen-Eyed Kivan. He can put an arrow on target when I can't rightly see th' target, or th' horse th' target's ridin' or even th' stretch o' road th' target's movin' along.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("R#ALLIS")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Animal Allison, on account o' her love for all them furry little creatures. An' the not so furry ones, too.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("R#Kitanya")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Kiirar Kitanya's right out, o' course, as I am th' Chronicler, so to speak. Let's find another elven word what describes her. How about Koron en' naur Kitanya? She's a fireball, all right.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("Rylorn")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Ravaging Rylorn. He'd love to see all Toril run wi' blood.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("SAERILETH")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Sexy Saerileth's not right on a couple o' levels, an' i don't ant to offend none. So how about Serious Saerileth? She is solid fixed on her purpose, she is.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("SDNPC")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Youthful Yikari. She moves like th' wind in th' trees, an' she has that great accent.
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("SIME")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Silent Sime. She makes little enough sound when she's after a mark, eh?~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("SK#NEHT")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Knowledgeable Neh'Taniel. Yeah, I am cheatin', I am. But th' man talks deep, an' on a bunch o' subjects. It's like goin' back to tutuorin' all over again.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("SOLAUFEIN")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Sorrowful Solaufein. He don't rightly smile so much. O' course, I'd not trust him if he did, so I guess that is fine by me.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("SUBRU")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Barroom Bruce. On account o' I keep havin' to drag his sorry arse past, around, or out o' every single one we venture on.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("SUHESSA")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Handy Hessa. Shes a right good advance scout.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("t#dace")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Lucky Linton. That woman can win a game o' cards, drink a keg o' ale, an' hold her own in th' brawl what results. Hardly ever loses, too.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("TASHIA")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Thoughtful Tashia. She has great riddles, she does.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("TSUJATH")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Tremblin' Tsjuatha. Only he don't. I don't rightly like th' necromantic bastard, but he don't back down. I'll have to think on him, eh?~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("Valen")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Vivisecting Valen. I suppose it don;t rightly be vivisection when she sucks all their blood out an' chunks up th' still-twitchin' corpse, but that be close enough for me.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("WILLYB")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Barroom Bruce. On account o' I keep havin' to drag his sorry arse past, around, or out o' every single one we venture on.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("WLBRAN")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Beautiful Branwen. That Tempus-lovin' girl is a sight for sore eyes, she is.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("WxJon")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Jumpin' Jonathan, on account he just hops right into battle wi' out sayin naught.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("xulaye")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Xenophobic Xulaye. Blighted drow bitch would kill us all if we weren't o' use to her.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("YASRAENA")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Yasraena. Nothin'. I got naught. I'll have to come back to her another day, eh~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("ZAIYA")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Zaiya. You gotta be jokin', right? This one's a mite harder than most. Zany don't quite do th' job. Nope, I got nothin'. Wait a second... Zealous Zaiya. I think I might be gettin' the hang o' this.~

== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("Z_MODDY")~ THEN ~[ARAN] Now then, miss foxy lass, Moddy. How about Munchin' Moddie, on account o' her love for nice things what's to eat. No, I think it might be Vivacious Vixen, as she sure does keep close to her animal instincts.~
== ~BHAERDA~ ~[HAERDALIS] This is more entertaining than I thought it might be.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] <CHARNAME>. Hmm. Not so sure I can guide on <PRO_HIMHER> so easily.~
== ~BHAERDA~ ~[HAERDALIS] Ah, my fine friend, there are exceptions to every rule. You need not create a mnemonic for <CHARNAME>. In <PRO_HISHER> case, <PRO_HESHE> is quite unforgettable.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-jaheiraaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~BJAHEIR~ c-jaheiraaranbanter
~[JAHEIRA] Aran. Come here. You have not secured your wineskin. Stop moving...~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-jaheiraaran","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Leave it alone, now. I'm appreciative an' all, but you are not my mother.~
== ~BJAHEIR~ ~[JAHEIRA] Nonsense. If you would stop charging about swatting at things before thinking, I would not have to treat you as a child.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] You don't look old enough to be my mother.~
== ~BJAHEIR~ ~[JAHEIRA] Nature demands age be shown in different manners to different races. That belt is too tight. Loosen it at once.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] You look way too shapely to be anyone's mother. In fact, your eyes, they OUCH!~
== ~BJAHEIR~ ~[JAHEIRA] Stop squirming. Flattery will not get you out of proper equipment discipline. And next time we pass a stream, avail yourself of Nature's bounty, and wash behind you ears.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Tymora's Golden...~
== ~BJAHEIR~ ~[JAHEIRA] What did you say?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Nothing.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-aranjaheira","GLOBAL",0) InParty("Jaheira") InMyArea("Jaheira") !StateCheck("Jaheira",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-aranjaheirabanter
~[ARAN] Next time we cook, can you lend me a hand with th' spices?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranjaheira","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BJAHEIR~ ~[JAHEIRA] I thought you kept your own stock from Calimport. No one has complained so far. Why do you need my help? ~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] well my curries are fine, even given the strange ingredients we have to work with. An' my roasts are fine, too. But that last dish you cooked, it had good crunchy spiced things of some sort, and I want to learn how to make that.~
== ~BJAHEIR~ ~[JAHEIRA] Oh. The grubs.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] grubs...~
== ~BJAHEIR~ ~[JAHEIRA] Yes, yes... I am sure I have gone over this before, somewhere. Nutritious, simple, solid sources of nutrients, easily integrated into many recepies...~
== ~BJAHEIR~ ~[JAHEIRA] Aran?~
== ~BJAHEIR~ ~[JAHEIRA] No, please avoid being sick in that particular area. There are several important species living there that do not tolerate stomach acid well.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-janaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~  THEN ~BJAN~ c-janaranbanter
~[JAN] This reminds me of when my Great Uncle on my mother's side Maurice decided to...~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-janaran","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Jan, I didn't say anything.~
== ~BJAN~ ~[JAN] I know. That was precisely why I though of Great Uncle Maurice, who...~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I didn't say anything, and I didn't do anything.~
== ~BJAN~ ~[JAN] Exactly. Maurice never did, either. It was years and years before anyone noticed it, and...~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I didn't say anything, I didn't do anything, and you still are blatherin' on about a Shar-kissed family story. You don't take a hint, do you.~
== ~BJAN~ ~[JAN] The same applied to Uncle Maurice, I am afraid. We finally found out he had died in the Great Turnip Blight of '72, during one of our famous Family Storytelling Competitions. He was just too bored to move on to the next part of the Great Wheel.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I know how he feels.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-aranjan","GLOBAL",0) InParty("Jan") InMyArea("Jan") !StateCheck("Jan",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-aranjanbanter
~[ARAN] Hey Jan, come here. take a look at this.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranjan","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BJAN~ ~[JAN] All I see is a small... oh. Now that is cunning. A good snare, if old, tripped, and exposed. It seems designed to capture small animals alive and unharmed, rather than the usual crippling or noose-like hunter's snare.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Yes, but look here. There's a case made o' leather, with small loops inside that are still dry. Torn beyond repair now, but the idea's sound. A vial for some kind of liquid, an' some loops for darts.~
== ~BJAN~ ~[JAN] The snare is much more interesting. Quaint craftsmanship, but still a sound design.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Do you think you could make me something like this to hold my quills an' paper?~
== ~BJAN~ ~[JAN] Oh, that would be child's play. I could do it in an hour. No special exploding traps, nothing but a simple watertight case.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] How much would it cost me?~
== ~BJAN~ ~[JAN] Five nights of you cooking Turnip Curry.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Two nights.~
== ~BJAN~ ~[JAN] Four nights. With Turnip flatbread.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Three nights, the flatbread, an' I'll take your cleanup chores for th' week.~
== ~BJAN~ ~[JAN] Done. Pleasure doing business with you.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Likewise.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-keldornaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~BKELDOR~ c-keldornaranbanter
~[KELDORN] You have a gap on your right side.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-keldornaran","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Pardon?~
== ~BKELDOR~ ~[KELDORN] When you swing, you have an opening in your defenses on your right side.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] (sigh) I thought I'd fixed that. It's the lower right, exposin' the knee?~
== ~BKELDOR~ ~[KELDORN] Yes. It is a common mistake for those trained as shield infantry. Flaming Fist?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] One campaign, Regulars. Then three with the Moonshea Shield Company. But there I wasn't on the wall. I got moved to subaltern.~
== ~BKELDOR~ ~[KELDORN] The Iron Throne fiasco?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Guilty as charged. Lots of men and women well past revivification when that mess was over. Battle of Cloakwood. Manticore's Point.~
== ~BKELDOR~ ~[KELDORN] Ninety percent losses. You took both dragonstrike and a complete failure of gryphon support.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Could have been worse. Could have been in the Third Division. They saved our arses, at a terrible cost. Not enough scrolls of Stone to Flesh in the whole bloody Sword Coast, an' then the Cyric-buggerin' Throne bastards started tossing boulders among the petrified, just out o' spite. Can't revivify someone who's been pulverized. Where were you?~
== ~BKELDOR~ ~[KELDORN] Commanding the Third Division.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Next inn, I am buying. An' you want me to do anything, anything at all, my sword is yours.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-arankeldorn","GLOBAL",0) InParty("Keldorn") InMyArea("Keldorn") !StateCheck("Keldorn",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-arankeldornbanter
~[ARAN] This work's different from Merchant's Guild or even mercenary work. Very different from the army.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-arankeldorn","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BKELDOR~ ~[KELDORN] It relies more on small unit tactics and magic use, but the fundamentals are the same.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] How so?~
== ~BKELDOR~ ~[KELDORN] It requires close attention to your comrades, a carefully thought out plan, flexibility after contact with the enemy, and faith that we shall prevail.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I just figure there is only so much we can do with so few against so many.~
== ~BKELDOR~ ~[KELDORN] Aran, you forget. *We* are the few. That makes a tremendous difference.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-korganaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~
THEN ~BKORGAN~ c-korganaranbanter
~[KORGAN] Get out o' me way, ye great lunkin' arse. I can't see.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-korganaran","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] There's naught to see, Korgan. No available females to leer at.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Jaheira") InMyArea("Jaheira") !StateCheck("Jaheira",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Unless you count Jaheira's legs...~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Mazzy") InMyArea("Mazzy") !StateCheck("Mazzy",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Or are you lookin' at Mazzy again?~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Aerie") InMyArea("Aerie") !StateCheck("Aerie",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Aerie complained to <CHARNAME> last time you tried to look up under her robes.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Nalia") InMyArea("Nalia") !StateCheck("Nalia",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Nalia is not your type, anyways.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Viconia") InMyArea("Viconia") !StateCheck("Viconia",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] You can't be lookin' at the Drowess. Even you don't have that much a death wish.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~InParty("Imoen2") InMyArea("Imoen2") !StateCheck("Imoen2",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] And if you are lookin' at Imoen, she's not lookin' so happy. I'd steer clear of her for awhile.~
== ~BKORGAN~ ~[KORGAN] If you are all finished with yer blather, shaddup. Ye look down from th' top, I look up from th' bottom, an' neither gets naught but a glimpse o' flesh. Besides, better t' pay good coin fer a wench ye know will do th' job and then move on. No ties, no partners, an' ye get ter trade up when ye get more coin. Never th' same twice, if ye know what I be sayin'.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Sounds lonelier than a half-orc trader in the Ten Towns. You don't want to feel like somethin' special, be the only one for her?~
== ~BKORGAN~ ~[KORGAN] What, are ye deaf an' stupid, or just a woman? You been listenen' t' all that pansy elf-talk 'bout true love. All that mush slows a man down. I got places ter go, people ter kill, an' a fortune ter build. A weak woman will slow me down, an' a strong one will speed me up an' make me share th' profits. Damn 'em all, weak an' strong, ter the Ninth Ring o' Hades.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Nope, I can't agree with that. I have enough trouble holding their attention when they are on *this* plane.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-arankorgan","GLOBAL",0) InParty("Korgan") InMyArea("Korgan") !StateCheck("Korgan",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-arankorganbanter
~[ARAN] Ho, shortaxe, you dropped something.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-arankorgan","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BKORGAN~ ~[KORGAN] Did not. Shut yer mouth, boyo.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I'm serious. Here. You dropped it.~
== ~BKORGAN~ ~[KORGAN] Lemme see.~
== ~BKORGAN~ ~[KORGAN] That's mine. You take it?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Cyric's Blighted Arse, I just picked it up 'cause you dropped it.~
== ~BKORGAN~ ~[KORGAN] What's your take?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I don't want anything.~
== ~BKORGAN~ ~[KORGAN] What's the catch?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] By Torm's Left Hand, no catch.~
== ~BKORGAN~ ~[KORGAN] I'm a watchin' ye, boyo. Wi' both eyes.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] No good deed goes unpunished.~
== ~BKORGAN~ ~[KORGAN] Shaddup. An' walk in front o' me.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-mazzyaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~BMAZZY~ c-mazzyaranbanter
~[MAZZY] Lift me up, please, Aran.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-mazzyaran","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Sure. What do you need?~
== ~BMAZZY~  ~[MAZZY] There are many advantages to being small. Unfortunately, getting a vantage point to see ahead is not one of them.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I don't mind you ridin' on my shoulder for a bit.~
== ~BMAZZY~  ~[MAZZY] No thank you. Just a quick look.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Didn't mean to offend, or anything. You are no child, to protect. I'd lock shields with you on the wall any day.~
== ~BMAZZY~  ~[MAZZY] No offense taken. Lock shields? That doesn't seem like a good idea given our relative sizes. And I prefer my bow.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] No, sorry. It means I gladly watch your back, knowing you will honorably watch mine.~
== ~BMAZZY~  ~[MAZZY] Oh. Well then, thanks. Tell you what. You watch my head, I'll watch your ankles, and between the two of us we will square them off top and bottom.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Sounds like a great plan.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-aranmazzy","GLOBAL",0) InParty("Mazzy") InMyArea("Mazzy") !StateCheck("Mazzy",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-aranmazzybanter
~[ARAN] Mazzy, you pull a mean bow. You ever served in the military?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranmazzy","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BMAZZY~  ~[MAZZY] We Hin do not really have a military to serve in, Aran. Just the TrueSwords. We defend when called.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] But I have seen mercenary companies of halfling folk. Some units of irregulars, slingers, mostly. An' I have heard of a whole company of your folk who ride mounted war pigs into battle, which sounds right funny. Except the man who told o' it spoke with respect, an' a whole orc tribal warparty confused, corralled, and massacred without loss.~
== ~BMAZZY~  ~[MAZZY] We are an independent and self-reliant people. There are those who seek more adventure, and go beyond our communities. I have fought alongside companies similar to what you describe.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Just not in 'em?~
== ~BMAZZY~  ~[MAZZY] Aran, would it offend you if I said that being a sellsword is not particularly honorable among my people?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] No. 'Tis the same among many folks of many races. I'm no prize to bring home to mother, nor one to bring into polite company, even if I try not to swear too much. It doesn't offend me none.~
== ~BMAZZY~  ~[MAZZY] Well, in my eyes, you are not a sellsword. You are a strong friend. I would be honored to bring you home to meet my family. On the understanding that you are friend, of course.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-minscaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~BMINSC~ c-minscaranbanter
~[MINSC] Look at this, Aran! Is this not a great weapon with which to smite evil?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-minscaran","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Aye, it is a fine weapon. But I can tell you, the weapon is not as important as the wielder, Minsc.~
== ~BMINSC~  ~[MINSC] I do not understand. Do we not need weapons to buttkick for goodness?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Well, I had a friend in the Moonshea Shield Company, see. She was a good fighter, out o' Ten Towns, followin' the ways of Tempus. We were in a tight spot, overrun, and the shield wall broke. Literally, in fact. That Gond-blighted crap they called 'iron' burst to shards in half o' our hands, so we had about half of us without weapons.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Charis, she gets this funny look in her eye, just like you do sometimes, Minsc. An' she steps up in front o' the shield wall, and begins to chant. They charged us again, an' it looked dark, but Charis just grabbed hold o' one of the Throne lackeys. She took him an' used him as a huge mace, batterin' them down left, right, an' front, 'till there weren't much left of the charge, or of the Throne mercenaries either.~
== ~BMINSC~  ~[MINSC] This woman sounds like a valiant hero, Aran! I should like to meet her!~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I'm in no hurry to make the introduction, my friend. Second campaign, she got caught by a wand o' paralysis, an' couldn't avoid a fire giant boulder hit. She's in Tempus' halls now, singin' and fightin'.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-aranminsc","GLOBAL",0) Global("MinscWitch","GLOBAL",1) InParty("Minsc") InMyArea("Minsc") !StateCheck("Minsc",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-aranminscbanter
~[ARAN] Minsc, you are a good man. You protect Aerie right well.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranminsc","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BMINSC~  ~[MINSC] She is my witch.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Well, look here, this is delicate... but Aerie is a fine lookin' lass, and powerful. Haven't you ever thought, well...~
== ~BMINSC~  ~[MINSC] Boo helps me with thinking things, Aran, but even he cannot tell what you are asking. Thought what?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] She is a beautiful girl. You are a powerful man. She is dedicated to goodness. You are dedicated to goodness. She needs protection. You provide protection. Is any of this makin' any sense?~
== ~BMINSC~  ~[MINSC] Of course, my friend. I do not need Boo to help me with this. She is my witch.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] (sigh) Minsc. Have you ever thought of askin' Aerie if she would be more than your witch?~
== ~BMINSC~  ~[MINSC] Aran you are a funny man. What more could she be than my witch?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Never you mind. But next time we are in town, I think you an' me, we are gonna go visit some public houses. Sounds like someone fergot to give you some basic education.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-naliaaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-naliaaranbanter
~[NALIA] Why are you avoiding me, Aran? I enjoy talking with people like you.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-naliaaran","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] People like me.~
== ~BNALIA~  ~[NALIA] Yes. I have helped many of your kind, and I try so hard to make sure that people of my class treat you people with respect.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Look, Nalia. You are right good lookin', and I don't mind the chatter, but let's not talk about this any more.~
== ~BNALIA~  ~[NALIA] See, there you go again. Why are you avoiding me?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Well, let's just say that I have had my fill of 'your people' using 'my people' as pawns in a live chess game. When battle starts, 'your people' are the ones in armor protected by magic, shielded an' away from the fray. 'My people' are the ones dying permanent-like, crushed and mangled by magic and siege engines.~
== ~BNALIA~  ~[NALIA] My father often said that is just the way the rules of war set things up, Aran.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] No offense to your father, Nalia, but there's the problem. In war, there are no rules, except one. Win.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-arannalia","GLOBAL",0) InParty("Nalia") InMyArea("Nalia") !StateCheck("Nalia",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-arannaliabanter
~[ARAN] So, Nalia, you ever been dancin'?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-arannalia","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BNALIA~  ~[NALIA] Of course. The Midwinter Festival, the regular series of social functions, and many lessons. I have even learned a few of your people's steps, those quaint country dances.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Think you could teach me some steps next inn we stay at?~
== ~BNALIA~  ~[NALIA] That depends. Would you be trying to dance like you were at our last stay?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] She was right sprightly, wasn't she. I was thinkin'...~
== ~BNALIA~  ~[NALIA] I think we had better not, Aran. You two were spirited, but there were some things that a lady just doesn't do in public.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Well, we could move into somewhere more private, you know.~
== ~BNALIA~  ~[NALIA] I don't know everything, Aran, but I think I can recognise a pass when I hear one. What would <CHARNAME> say?~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~GlobalLT("c-aranromance","GLOBAL",2)~ THEN~[ARAN] I was just jokin' with you, is all, Nalia. I wanted to see if you'd blush.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~GlobalGT("c-aranromance","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN ~[ARAN] I don't know. Let's ask her.~
== ~BNALIA~  IF ~GlobalGT("c-aranromance","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN ~[NALIA] I'm not interested, Aran. You will have to find someone else to seduce.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF WEIGHT #-1 ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-valygararan","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~
THEN ~BVALYGA~ c-valygararanbanter
~[VALYGAR] So, Whitehand, who are you?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-valygararan","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Let's just say... I'm a friend.~
== ~BVALYGA~ ~[VALYGAR] That is not very enlightening.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Look, did I say I was *your* friend?~
== ~BVALYGA~ ~[VALYGAR] You did not. Perhaps I should rephrase my question. What do you do in this party, what is your purpose for existance, and why should I trust you with my life?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I see things, an' I kill them. One in awhile, they try to kill me.~
== ~BVALYGA~ ~[VALYGAR] Ah. A kindred spirit.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Why, do you kill things, too?~
== ~BVALYGA~ ~[VALYGAR] Occasionally. Though lately, it appears that there are more things trying to kill me.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Hey, the tryin', that's no problem. It only gets tricky if they manage to do it.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-aranvalygar","GLOBAL",0) InParty("Valygar") InMyArea("Valygar") !StateCheck("Valygar",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-aranvalygarbanter
~[ARAN] Come on, Valygar, it's a great day, and we haven't been killed yet. There's probably a nice set o' monstrous creatures right over the next hill, waitin' to rip us into bloody chunks and serve us wi' a nice side dish, but right now, things are lookin' up!~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranvalygar","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BVALYGA~ ~[VALYGAR] You just do not seem to understand, Aran. There will *always* be creatures bent on our destruction.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Now that you mention it, we keep seein' more and more adversaries. We kill a few, an' then we move on, only to find more have taken their place.~
== ~BVALYGA~ ~[VALYGAR] It is a vicious circle.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Yep. Just keeps going around and around.~
== ~BVALYGA~ ~[VALYGAR] It never stops.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] That's what makes it vicious.~
== ~BVALYGA~ ~[VALYGAR] And a circle.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] You sure can depress a guy, boyo.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-viconiaaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~BVICONI~ c-viconiaaranbanter
~[VICONIA] Stop staring at me, iblith. I have not summoned your attention to please me. Where I come from, there are consequences for males with eyes too bold.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-viconiaaran","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] You flatter yourself, drowess. I'd as soon spawn with a spider.~
== ~BVICONI~ ~[VICONIA] Keep your eyes and your thoughts away, surface scum, or I shall make your meager existence painful.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I'm no paladin of the Cryin' God, Drowess. I know what you represent, and what your kind do. You flinch once, an' I will be there, watchin' for my chance.~
== ~BVICONI~ ~[VICONIA] You are smarter than I thought, iblith. But your paranoia is wasted. Much greater forces than you have died waiting for that opportunity.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-aranviconia","GLOBAL",0) InParty("viconia") InMyArea("viconia") !StateCheck("viconia",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-aranviconiabanter
~[ARAN] Move away from me, Drowess.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranviconia","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BVICONI~ ~[VICONIA] I stand where I please, surfacer.~
== ~BVICONI~ ~[VICONIA] The only reason you remain alive, filth, is your meager utility as a meat-shield.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Bad thinkin', Drowess. Now I know that, I might just stop, drop, an' roll next time the arrows head my way.~
== ~BVICONI~ ~[VICONIA] Your cowardice will be just as useful. While you are down there, you can lick my boots as befits your station.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-yoshimoaran","GLOBAL",0) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~BYOSHIM~ c-yoshimoaranbanter
~[YOSHIMO] So, my fine friend. Do you think our leader knows exactly what <PRO_HESHE> is doing?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-yoshimoaran","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Why are you askin', Yoshimo? You don't usually hold much wi' small talk.~
== ~BYOSHIM~ ~[YOSHIMO] I am interested in discovering the subtleties of common language. Your usage is most... interesting. I usually work alone. Perhaps you have an opinion I might find of use.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Who knows, with <CHARNAME>? One day <PRO_HESHE>'s up, another day <PRO_HESHE>'s down. The <PRO_MANWOMAN>'s nuttier than a berrygobbler's cheeks in autumn. The point is... <PRO_HESHE>'s standin' right behind me, right?~
== ~BYOSHIM~ ~[YOSHIMO] Behind you, two feet to the left.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Bugger.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-aranyoshimo","GLOBAL",0) InParty("Yoshimo") InMyArea("Yoshimo") !StateCheck("Yoshimo",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~C-ARANB~ c-aranyoshimobanter
~[ARAN] So, you hunt folks for fun an' profit, eh?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranyoshimo","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~BYOSHIM~ ~[YOSHIMO] An interesting vocation, I know. And lucrative at times.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] I don't know if I'd like that.~
== ~BYOSHIM~ ~[YOSHIMO] Friend Aran, when did the gods decree that we should enjoy our purposes in life?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] You've got a point there.~
== ~BYOSHIM~ ~[YOSHIMO] It is not as distasteful as it might seem. There are benefits to remaining on the open road, living the life of a hunter.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] What happens when it's time to stop an' retire?~
== ~BYOSHIM~ ~[YOSHIMO] There is planning, and then there is chancing the wrath of the gods. I will think of that when I am unable to lift myself from my bedroll.~
EXIT

~[IMOEN] Aran, you've gotta keep your eyes to yourself more.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Hey, what did I do?~
== ~BIMOEN2~ ~[IMOEN] Well, you keep lettin' yer eyes drift south, so to speak. Every time you're talkin' to a girl.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Cyric's black... oh, hells. Yep. I'm doin' it again, right?~
== ~BIMOEN2~ ~[IMOEN] Some girls might like that. But most don't want the unwanted attention, unless they're tellin' you they're interested.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Are you tellin' me you're interested?~
== ~BIMOEN2~ ~[IMOEN] (whack)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Ouch. Damn. Sorry. Not good to kid a friend what's tryin' to help out wi' the whole 'not tick women off' thing ~
== ~BIMOEN2~ ~[IMOEN] Hey, no problem. That's what friends are for.~
EXIT

~[ARAN] Hey, Imoen, you ok? ~
== ~BIMOEN2~ ~[IMOEN] I'm fine, Aran.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] You don't look fine. You look a mite sick, an' green about the gills. Plus, none o' your usual fire in the eyes. So, I gotta ask again: you ok?~
== ~BIMOEN2~ ~[IMOEN] Memories.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Oh.~
== ~BIMOEN2~ ~[IMOEN] They don't go away, do they.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Well, I've seen an' done some raw things in my time, for sure. An' there's times when the ones that hurt, you gotta go out an' bury them. Grab a willing lass for entertainment, get royally drunk, get thrown in jail, the whole rabble-rousing carousing crap.~
== ~BIMOEN2~ ~[IMOEN] Does that help?~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Hells, no. You wake up hung over, missin' your purse an' all your coin, an' no better off than when you left. But you forgot while it was happenin', see?~
== ~BIMOEN2~ ~[IMOEN] I don't think that will help me.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Well, what if...~
== ~BIMOEN2~ ~[IMOEN] Aran, thanks, but quit trying to help. Some things a woman just has to learn to live through herself.~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] Right enough. All I can say is, I wish there was somethin' I could do to help. Want to fix things, somehow, you know. Anyways, right. I'll be right over there, if I get needed or somethin'.~
EXIT

You'd probably better put a romance check on that Aerie banter, or, better yet, give the PC a chance to scold him for his "wandering eye" afterward. I know *my* PC would have a couple things to say to him, after that.

I didn't get all that far, to be honest, because I'm at work and I'm supposed to be working, but I'd kind of like to see Anomen get the upper hand over Aran in a banter. Maybe he can trip Aran up over his oaths... or his inability to avoid looking at women.

Example (best if it happens in a city, with a specific NPC, like a Crazy Celvan interjection, but with somebody like Rose Bouquet or some other female NPC):

Anomen: Excuse me, my lady, but you have a loose thread on your gown.

Female NPC: So I do. Thank you for pointing that out. I hadn't noticed.

Anomen: Ordinarily I would have averted my eyes, but my friend Aran has been staring so long, I felt obliged to see what drew his gaze.

Aran: But -

Anomen: That *was* what you were looking at, wasn't it?

Aran: Er... ah, hells, of course it was.

/* Banter Follow-Ups, Player1 <> Aran */

Global("c-aeriearan","GLOBAL",1)

still working on this idea.

My banters and lines are getting way too long. Shorter, zippier ideas fit much better. I don't want to break up the banter with PC interjection at that point, and I am going to overload the PID, but I don't like forcing the player - that "providing the opportunity", though is a great idea. The interjection, I am stealing wholesale.

I am having trouble with Anomen, but here is a first attempt - and it does doub;e duty, because I want to play with the idea of taking regular banters or talks and allowing them to branch if there is a romance (or romances) in progress.

How is this (and remember, I will not run crying from "ouck, that stinks" as long as there is an alternative suggestion put forward :blush: )

/* BG2 Banters: Anomen > Aran 2, City - doubles as a romance conflict */

CHAIN IF  ~CombatCounter(0) !Detect([ENEMY]) Global("c-aacity","GLOBAL",0) AreaCheck(CITY) InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~BANOMEN~ c-anomenarancity
~[ANOMEN] That is the third time that you have paid more attention to the young women on the street than to our progress, Whitehand.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-aacity","GLOBAL",1)~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] What's it to you, Delryn? They be mine own eyes, to do wi' as I please.~

/* romance side */
== ~BANOMEN~ IF ~OR(3) Global("AnomenRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) Global("aranromance","GLOBAL",2) Global("aranromance","GLOBAL",3)~ THEN ~[ANOMEN] I had thought that you would be more attentive, more focused. Do not think that your interest in <CHARNAME> goes unnoticed. I welcome your challenge to her affections.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~OR(3) Global("AnomenRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) Global("aranromance","GLOBAL",2) Global("aranromance","GLOBAL",3)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Look, Delryn, you can... wait... you do?~
== ~BANOMEN~ IF ~OR(3) Global("AnomenRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) Global("aranromance","GLOBAL",2) Global("aranromance","GLOBAL",3)~ THEN ~[ANOMEN] I do.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~OR(3) Global("AnomenRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) Global("aranromance","GLOBAL",2) Global("aranromance","GLOBAL",3)~ THEN ~[ARAN] This is one o' those stupid noble ideas about 'th best man always wins' an' all that crap, right? ~

/* Friend side */
== ~BANOMEN~ IF ~!Global("AnomenRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) !Global("aranromance","GLOBAL",2) !Global("aranromance","GLOBAL",3)~ THEN ~[ANOMEN] I thought that you find me inexperienced in the ways of combat, and feel yourself the better warrior.~
== ~C-ARANB~ IF ~!Global("AnomenRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) !Global("aranromance","GLOBAL",2) !Global("aranromance","GLOBAL",3)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Aye, that be th' truth.~

/* punchline */
== ~BANOMEN~ ~[ANOMEN] If you say so. Tell me, Aran, which warrior wins the fight - the one who remains focused and attends to his target, or the one who allows his attention to wander? ~
== ~C-ARANB~ ~[ARAN] By Valkur's Strapping Buttocks...~
== ~BANOMEN~ ~[ANOMEN] Thus endeth the lesson.~
EXIT

I like the actual banter, but I'm a little unclear about the conditions. The way you have it set up, the player is going to have the romance banter if Anomen's romance is committed, if Aran's romance is committed, or if Aran's romance is dead.

And how were you planning on working the auto-kills? Anomen's romance goes committed fairly early, at the crimson rhodelia talk. At that point, a beginning player is probably only just now starting to get the idea that Anomen just might be interested in her, since his talks are more like friendship talks.

Were you planning on letting them both romance the PC while in committed romances? NP if so, but just asking.

But that's neither here nor there. I'd suggest rethinking that romance check. If you want the romance conflict dialogue, Aran RA=1, Anomen RA=1 will work. If you wanted to do something a little fancier to give the PC an opportunity to two-time, post in the workroom, and we'll sort it out.

My typo! Yes, it is supposed to be in a city, with Aran or Anomen at either interested or committed. I messed up - those need to be GT 0, LT 3 on both romance conditions. I do have c-araromance = 3 being the "it's over" state, but it is toggle-able by PID, so it ends up being a true player choice mod.

No auto-kills - in fact, he is set up (hopefully) to be a player-choice-driven mod. So PC can multi-romance if she wants, and have an affair with Aran, and nothing in the code will block it. I understand the theory and practice of auto-killing romances, and for most NPCs that makes perfect sense. Gavin, Ajantis, etc. all have good reason for shutting down others and being shut down in return. But for Aran, well, he can play the role of the inappropriately flirty "best friend" who is always the third wheel, or the wild romance on the side, or the staunch supporter. That whole companion role means he has to act in character but stay with PC. Folks should be able to roleplay Lancelot and Genevive, or Monster's Inc., or When Harry Met Sally, or even Fatal Attraction (roles reversed) if they would like.

Guest guest?
I like the actual banter, but I'm a little unclear about the conditions. The way you have it set up, the player is going to have the romance banter if Anomen's romance is committed, if Aran's romance is committed, or if Aran's romance is dead.

And how were you planning on working the auto-kills? Anomen's romance goes committed fairly early, at the crimson rhodelia talk. At that point, a beginning player is probably only just now starting to get the idea that Anomen just might be interested in her, since his talks are more like friendship talks.

Were you planning on letting them both romance the PC while in committed romances? NP if so, but just asking.

But that's neither here nor there. I'd suggest rethinking that romance check. If you want the romance conflict dialogue, Aran RA=1, Anomen RA=1 will work. If you wanted to do something a little fancier to give the PC an opportunity to two-time, post in the workroom, and we'll sort it out.

The unimaginable has happened! I have come across something about Aran that bugs me. ANOTHER male that drools after Aerie. Gag me with a spoon. The girl is so.. so... blah. Now if he was admiring Jaheira's butt I could see the resulting dialogue being funny. Or even acknowledging Viconia's various assets despite their animosity. Or because of their animosity, might make for a fun banter. But in any case, I second Berelinde's suggestion to check on the romance status, or leave out the bit about not having seen such a beautiful lass in a long time. I could think of a PC or two of mine that would take offense to that line and he's have some explaining to do. Of course I could always leave the little hussy at the circus.

Archived