Hildury issue

Cal Jones

I've had this the last two games, with different parties and protagnoists.

Hildury's talks get to a point (I believe the last talk was the one where she asked about reincarnation). Then it seems as though she tries to talk and fails. She makes her selection sound, her music plays, but nothing. If I try to force talk her, I get her selection sound and she says "I be pleased to be talking to you in a moment" (or something) but then, nothing. So obviously the next dialogue isn't firing properly, for some reason.

(Domi, you have my save game where this has happened, but it's in my current game also).

Is there a way to cheat the next dialogue? Ta.

If Diriel's in the party too, use the console to set P#HIDI3 to 1, then talk to Hildury again. It should progress from there.

I have no idea what happens with this in non-Diriel parties (since my non-Diriel party isn't out of the prologue yet), sooo...

Things that I now hate about this game: the entire yuan-ti temple sequence (ARGH!), pain-in-the-neck guardian dragons, the female halfling mage avatar (same as the original female gnome mage...what is Bioware's obsession with beards on female members of the short races?)...

I don't know if it's an avatar issue, if the game's just being an utter pain, or if it's just a problem on my end (strange bugs seem to love me), but for some reason, a post-reincarnation Hildury's inventory becomes unpickup-able upon her death. This is easily cleared up by a save/reload, fortunately.

I know. One of the strongest reasons I wanted to remake the whole game in NWN2 was the shortfalls, like a couple of too extended, lifeless and pointless dungeon crawls (Ice temple, Yan-Ti, a couple of levels of Dargon Eye), and the idiotic avatars, which issue Peony brought to the fore-front for me. But mainly it was the One Way To Get Through The Game thinggie. Not even cosmetic good/bad ending choices, duh.

I still have a 3/4 finished game saved and waiting, but no hurry yet - I've been busy with the KotOR games nad have Jade Empire to play, so I can be patient.

One thing: I don't have Diriel in party this time so (reading the stuff above) is it still possible to reincarnate her?

I don't know if it's an avatar issue, if the game's just being an utter pain, or if it's just a problem on my end (strange bugs seem to love me), but for some reason, a post-reincarnation Hildury's inventory becomes unpickup-able upon her death. This is easily cleared up by a save/reload, fortunately.

Quoting myself because I did figure out what this was. It's yet more flakiness from the game regarding the avatar changes, since Peony does it too.

It's like someone decided to make it nigh-impossible to seamlessly change the avatars as a way of thumbing their nose at everyone who they knew would be pissed.

It's actually a fairly easy to handle bit of flakiness, if you're willing to save/reload every time Peony or a reincarnated Hildury bites it. Hildury's reincarnated late enough into the game where it might not even be that much of an issue, as by then she's already a damage-absorbing tank of a character.

Peony, however, gets flattened by errant goblin swipes fairly early on. :p It sucks because I like her and I'd like to use her, but I don't think I'm patient enough with the engine's silliness to go through with it.

Archived