FriendTalk 2: My Pal The Shield Wall

cmorgan

Stage 1 - Brainstorm

/* BG2 FriendTalk 2 c-aranfriendbg2 = 3 */

/* "My Pal the Shield Wall", or, merits of Heavy Metal (Whitesnake) vs Alternative (Feist) */

Aran - There's another way of fighting in big groups, called a 'shield wall'. You line up a bunch of fighters and use them as a living barrier. It protects spellcasters and archers, and lets them do their job.

PC - Sounds dangerous.

Aran - It is.

PC - {good idea}{bad idea}{where do you get off telling me about tactics}{I already have you as a shield wall of one.}

Stage 2 - Sketch

/* BG2 FriendTalk 2 c-aranfriendbg2 = 3 */

/* "My Pal the Shield Wall", or, merits of Heavy Metal (Whitesnake) vs Alternative (Feist) */

[ARAN] Perhaps we should hire on a few more swords, an' make sure we have a bit more force up front, so to speak.

[PC] We seem to be holding our own. Why should we burden the party with more fighters?

<<EXIT_BLOCK>>

IF [MAGE_ALL] [PC] I may weave spells instead of swords, but we are doing well enough. What changes would you have me make?

IF [CLERIC_ALL] [PC] The gods provide us challenges to face, Aran. You would do things differently?

IF [FIGHTER_ALL] [PC] Are you saying I am not enough of a fighter?

[PC] You may have a point. Things do not seem to be going well in combat. What would you suggest we do differently?

[PC] And here I thought you were a fighter, not a thinker. This might be amusing. Go on, then, oh great leader of combat, inform your betters as to combat tactics.

[ARAN] Well, now. Whether we are doin' well or naught but fallin' apart, there is always good reason to have a Shield Wall up front.

[PC] What's a shield wall?

[PC] I'm familiar with the concept. That's why I have you as a meat-shield.

[PC] We really do not have the coin to spare for things like that.

[ARAN] Them's what fight well an' be armored well enough concentrate on formin' a line, an' lock shields together to form a barrier. Then, th' enemy charges, an' they hit the wall. They get thrown back in confusion, an' the wall steps forward an' attacks, reforms, repeat until they be daed or runnin'.

[PC] I can see some problems with that combat setup.

[PC] What happens if the enemy doesn't charge?

IF [ARAN,CLERIC_ALL] [PC] You put your faith up front, then, Aran. I can see why you decided to become a cleric. Fighting in that line would force any being to reevaluate their place on the Great Wheel.

IF [ARAN,THIEF_ALL] [PC] So that is why you decided to add 'investigative skills' to your fighting? Safer to hide and seek than stand in harm's way?

IF [ARAN,MAGE_ALL] [PC] I knew there was a reason you began studying spellcraft. Not quite as much danger when you are not standing directly in harms way.

<<EXIT_BLOCK>>

[ARAN] Well, then th' Shield Wall is protection for archers an' spellcasters.

[ARAN] I'm not stupid, <CHARNAME>, just a mite slow to come to conclusions sometimes. Mages get th' big firepower, an' they get protected. 'Course, they also get targetted first, so really it was out o' the fryin' pan and into the fire, so to speak. But change can be good.

[ARAN] Aye, <CHARNAME>, it does cause a man to think. An' evaluate, too. But that's naught here nor there, really. I'd be standin' on th' wall whether I was cleric or cook. But it can come in right handy to have a god watchin' your back, you know.

[ARAN] Forewarned is fore-armed. I've been on the raw end o' enough deals to realize I want to know more about th' opposition before someone decides to put me on the wall.

[ARAN] Sure enough. Like what, exactly?

[PC] A wall must take a huge hit from any spellcasters around. It sounds like it makes a big target.

IF [PC,FIGHTER_ALL] [PC] You are relying on weight and numbers to hold back the enemy. What happens when I charge a shield wall with magical weaponry that cleaves through shields like a hot knife through butter?

IF [PC,MAGE_ALL] [PC] A well placed fireball, or perhaps some lightning, or simply a gaseous cloud... there are lots of ways I could break up that wall, Aran.

IF [PC,DRUID|RANGER] [PC] Outdoors, a druid must eat shield walls as a light snack. I might call lightning, if I could, and fry them all. Or entangle them and allow archery to finish them.

IF [PC,THIEF_ALL] [PC] I would probably sneak around back, and take them out one by one. Or simply avoid the whole wall, make your way past them, and get rid of the spellcasters.

IF [PC,BARD] [PC] A full audience, drawn up into a line, just for me? If I can't beguile them or terrorise them with my music, I would have to reevaluate my bardic skills.

IF [PC,MONK|CLERIC] [PC] There are many ways, both spiritually and physically, to influence such a formation. Perhaps you would enlighten me as to the weaknesses you have seen yourself?

[PC] Well, you are supposed to be the tactics expert. Consider it a test of your knowledge. You tell me.

[ARAN] I have seen th' Wall fail ith petrification spells in small grups, as it's easy enough to go around a few swords what an't move or are slowed. Big battles, with long stretches, tha't not a problem.

[PC] Any other weaknesses?

[ARAN] Lightnin', fireballs, an' acid fog take out large chunks of a Wall, but that's hwy you got spellcatsers to fight that off. Plus, any time th' Wall is takin' heat, your spelcasters can go to work on their spellcasters right harsh.

[ARAN] I did see one time a Wall fail miserably, as an illusionist got workin' so the swords thought their friends was enemies. An' I did see one time where someone cast a spell what made most o' the Wall flee in terror. But then again, most o' the time, I've seen it work right smart against some pretty tough foes.

[ARAN] Aye, true enough. The whole concept works best on foes what swarm, like gibberlings, orcs, an' the like. But it does work just the same when the wall is strong, an' lucky... it sops up spells an' keeps th' archers an' spllcasters safe for their big attacks. But it be true that bein' on the wall is a mite dangerous.

[PC] I see no reason to spend more coin for living shields, but thank you for the input.

[PC] That 'shield wall' is a good idea, Aran. I'll see what I can do.

[PC] Dense, thinck, slow, distracting, catches spells, first up to die... I have 'shield wall'. Just make sure you know your place in combat, sellswrd.

? INT/WIS GT15? [PC] I suspect it works better with big mercenary companies in piched battle. We don't have that kind of fighting here.

IF [PC,FEMALE] [PC] I have big strong you to protect me, Aran. You are enough.

IF [PC,FEMALE] [PC] When did I give you the idea I wanted more protection, Aran?

[ARAN] Just a suggestion, you know. Tymora's Fickle Fingers, it'd be nice to have some more help, is all.

Stage 3 - Sketch inclusive pathways

* BG2 FriendTalk 2 c-aranfriendbg2 = 3 */

[ARAN] Perhaps we should hire on a few more swords, an' make sure we have a bit more force up front, so to speak.

[PC] We seem to be holding our own. Why should we burden the party with more fighters?

<<EXIT_BLOCK>>

IF [MAGE_ALL] [PC] I may weave spells instead of swords, but we are doing well enough. What changes would you have me make?

IF [CLERIC_ALL] [PC] The gods provide us challenges to face, Aran. You would do things differently?

IF [FIGHTER_ALL] [PC] Are you saying I am not enough of a fighter?

[PC] You may have a point. Things do not seem to be going well in combat. What would you suggest we do differently?

[PC] And here I thought you were a fighter, not a thinker. This might be amusing. Go on, then, oh great leader of combat, inform your betters as to combat tactics.

[ARAN] Well, now. Whether we are doin' well or naught but fallin' apart, there is always good reason to have a Shield Wall up front.

[PC] What's a shield wall?

[PC] I'm familiar with the concept. That's why I have you as a meat-shield.

[PC] We really do not have the coin to spare for things like that.

IF [in romance] [PC] Are you sure you want more competition? I mean, all those exra choices... I might be tempted.

[ARAN] If I can't hold my own against the rest, <CHARNAME>, I don't deserve you nohow. But I am thinkin' how best to protect you, anyways. Shield walls work great for holdin' back the opposition.

[ARAN] Them's what fight well an' be armored well enough concentrate on formin' a line, an' lock shields together to form a barrier. Then, th' enemy charges, an' they hit the wall. They get thrown back in confusion, an' the wall steps forward an' attacks, reforms, repeat until they be daed or runnin'.

== KELDORN There are some strengths to having a shield wall in large combat, but i have seen the conept fail with smaller parties, Aran.

== ANOMEN It is a useful tactic. It preserves the more important forces and expends the weaker.

== ARAN You mean it preserves nobles, at th' cost of lesser classes lives.

== ANOMEN I believe that is what I said.

== ARAN Typical tin-can crap. <CHARNAME>, done right, ain' no class warfare - th' concept is that the wall potects th' spllcasters, an the spellcaster protects th'wall - it's like creatin' our own turtle, so to speak.

[PC] I can see some problems with that combat setup.

[PC] What happens if the enemy doesn't charge?

IF [ARAN,CLERIC_ALL] [PC] You put your faith up front, then, Aran. I can see why you decided to become a cleric. Fighting in that line would force any being to reevaluate their place on the Great Wheel.

IF [ARAN,THIEF_ALL] [PC] So that is why you decided to add 'investigative skills' to your fighting? Safer to hide and seek than stand in harm's way?

IF [ARAN,MAGE_ALL] [PC] I knew there was a reason you began studying spellcraft. Not quite as much danger when you are not standing directly in harms way.

<<EXIT_BLOCK>>

[ARAN] Well, then th' Shield Wall is protection for archers an' spellcasters. Acts like a livin' stone wall to hide behind, an' it can move forward an' take on all comers.

== MAZZY That comes at a price in lives, Aran.

== ARAN Sometimes. Then again, we ain't exactly playin' a simple carddgame, Mazzy. Folks hired for the Wall know their business, an' the risks.

[ARAN] I'm not stupid, <CHARNAME>, just a mite slow to come to conclusions sometimes. Mages get th' big firepower, an' they get protected. 'Course, they also get targetted first, so really it was out o' the fryin' pan and into the fire, so to speak. But change can be good.

== EDWIN (The idiot thinks he can weave spells. Amusing.) By all means, waste coin on more fighters, <CHARNAME>. Having more targets in front of me will provide amusement when they inevitabley die.

[ARAN] Aye, <CHARNAME>, it does cause a man to think. An' evaluate, too. But that's naught here nor there, really. I'd be standin' on th' wall whether I was cleric or cook. But it can come in right handy to have a god watchin' your back, you know.

[ARAN] Forewarned is fore-armed. I've been on the raw end o' enough deals to realize I want to know more about th' opposition before someone decides to put me on the wall.

== JAN Forearmed? When did anatomy become part of this discussion? You sound like my Uncle Gertan, who kept talking about his body parts until finally one day it caught up to him.

== [ARAN] I meant 'prepared', see... but somehow I figured this was more about your Uncle Gertan than what I was sayin'. OK, how'd it catch up to him?

== JAN He mentioned his superior foot bones one too many times to Aunt Petunia, and she proceeded to show him how to put his superior foot bones between his superior mandibles, and took off with a follower of Denir. A nice gnomish lad from west aways. I hear they are very happy, preaching somewhere near the Border Kingdoms.

[ARAN] Sure enough. Like what, exactly?

[PC] A wall must take a huge hit from any spellcasters around. It sounds like it makes a big target.

IF [PC,FIGHTER_ALL] [PC] You are relying on weight and numbers to hold back the enemy. What happens when I charge a shield wall with magical weaponry that cleaves through shields like a hot knife through butter?

IF [PC,MAGE_ALL] [PC] A well placed fireball, or perhaps some lightning, or simply a gaseous cloud... there are lots of ways I could break up that wall, Aran.

IF [PC,DRUID|RANGER] [PC] Outdoors, a druid must eat shield walls as a light snack. I might call lightning, if I could, and fry them all. Or entangle them and allow archery to finish them.

IF [PC,THIEF_ALL] [PC] I would probably sneak around back, and take them out one by one. Or simply avoid the whole wall, make your way past them, and get rid of the spellcasters.

IF [PC,BARD] [PC] A full audience, drawn up into a line, just for me? If I can't beguile them or terrorise them with my music, I would have to reevaluate my bardic skills.

IF [PC,MONK|CLERIC] [PC] There are many ways, both spiritually and physically, to influence such a formation. Perhaps you would enlighten me as to the weaknesses you have seen yourself?

[PC] Well, you are supposed to be the tactics expert. Consider it a test of your knowledge. You tell me.

[ARAN] I have seen th' Wall fail with petrification spells in small grups, as it's easy enough to go around a few swords what an't move or are slowed. Big battles, with long stretches, tha't not a problem.

== KELDORN I have also seen the shield wall crumble from siege engine attacks, and from gryphon or dragon attack. Something as simple as a gnomish airship can cause enough distraction to stop a wall's chief strength, that of locked shields.

== ARAN How'd you stop that kind o' problem?

== KELDORN More rigorous training.

== MAZZY But what of the differences in size? If we were to lock shields, Aran, my shield would be at your kneecap. I doubt it would work as you describe.

== ARAN Aye, true enough, Mazzy. I never did see what happens when a group o' mismatched shields tried it. It might work, though. You'd be in a position to get up under their defense, I suspect.

[ARAN] Lightnin', fireballs, an' acid fog take out large chunks of a Wall, but that's why you got spellcatsers to fight that off. Plus, any time th' Wall is takin' heat, your spellcasters can go to work on their spellcasters right harsh.

== VALYGAR Once again, the misuse of the Weave causes death and destruction. Is there no other way to work with the wall than to protect it with magic?

== [ARAN] Not every group has spellcasters, so sure thing. I never did see a spellcaster get off a successful spell when he's got an arrow through his left eye. That's archery at work, or cavalry chargin' round the flank an' smashin' em but good.

== VALYGAR A very satisfying thought.

[ARAN] I did see one time a Wall fail miserably, as an illusionist got workin' so the swords thought their friends was enemies. An' I did see one time where someone cast a spell what made most o' the Wall flee in terror. But then again, most o' the time, I've seen it work right smart against some pretty tough foes.

[ARAN] Aye, true enough. The whole concept works best on foes what swarm, like gibberlings, orcs, an' the like. But it does work just the same when the wall is strong, an' lucky... it sops up spells an' keeps th' archers an' spllcasters safe for their big attacks. But it be true that bein' on the wall is a mite dangerous.

[PC] I see no reason to spend more coin for living shields, but thank you for the input.

[PC] That 'shield wall' is a good idea, Aran. I'll see what I can do.

[PC] Dense, thinck, slow, distracting, catches spells, first up to die... I have 'shield wall'. Just make sure you know your place in combat, sellswrd.

? INT/WIS GT15? [PC] I suspect it works better with big mercenary companies in pitched battle. We don't have that kind of fighting here.

IF [PC,FEMALE] [PC] I have big strong you to protect me, Aran. You are enough.

IF [PC,FEMALE] [PC] When did I give you the idea I wanted more protection, Aran?

[ARAN] Just a suggestion, you know. Tymora's Fickle Fingers, it'd be nice to have some more help, is all.

Stage 4 - Preliminary rough coding, pass 1

IF ~Global("c-aranfriendbg2","GLOBAL",3)~ THEN BEGIN c-aranfriend2
 SAY ~[ARAN] Perhaps we should hire on a few more swords, an' make sure we have a bit more force up front, so to speak.~
 ++ We seem to be holding our own. Why should we burden the party with more fighters? + c-aranfriend2one
 <<EXIT_BLOCK>>
 + [MAGE_ALL] + ~[PC] I may weave spells instead of swords, but we are doing well enough. What changes would you have me make?~ + c-aranfriend2one
+ [CLERIC_ALL] + ~[PC] The gods provide us challenges to face, Aran. You would do things differently?~ + c-aranfriend2one
+ [FIGHTER_ALL] + ~[PC] Are you saying I am not enough of a fighter?~  + c-aranfriend2one
++ ~[PC] You may have a point. Things do not seem to be going well in combat. What would you suggest we do differently?~ + c-aranfriend2one
++ ~[PC] And here I thought you were a fighter, not a thinker. This might be amusing. Go on, then, oh great leader of combat, inform your betters as to combat tactics.~ + c-aranfriend2one
END

IF ~~ c-aranfriend2one
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, now. Whether we are doin' well or naught but fallin' apart, there is always good reason to have a Shield Wall up front.~
 ++ ~[PC] What's a shield wall? + definition
 ++ ~[PC] I'm familiar with the concept. That's why I have you as a meat-shield.~ + wallconcept
 ++ ~[PC] We really do not have the coin to spare for things like that.~ + spellcasterfall
 + [in romance] + ~[PC] Are you sure you want more competition? I mean, all those extra choices... I might be tempted.~ + tempted

IF ~~ tempted
 SAY ~[ARAN] If I can't hold my own against the rest, <CHARNAME>, I don't deserve you nohow. But I am thinkin' how best to protect you, anyways. Shield walls work great for holdin' back the opposition.~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO definition
END

IF ~~ definition
 SAY ~[ARAN] Them's what fight well an' be armored well enough concentrate on formin' a line, an' lock shields together to form a barrier. Then, th' enemy charges, an' they hit the wall. They get thrown back in confusion, an' the wall steps forward an' attacks, reforms, repeat until they be dead or runnin'.~
== KELDORN There are some strengths to having a shield wall in large combat, but I have seen the conept fail with smaller parties, Aran.
== ANOMEN It is a useful tactic. It preserves the more important forces and expends the weaker.
== ARAN Typical tin-can crap. <CHARNAME>, done right, ain' no class warfare - th' concept is that the wall potects th' spllcasters, an the spellcaster protects th'wall - it's like creatin' our own turtle, so to speak.
 ++ ~[PC] I can see some problems with that combat setup.~ + likewhat
 ++ ~[PC] What happens if the enemy doesn't charge?~ + protection
 + [ARAN,CLERIC_ALL] + ~[PC] You put your faith up front, then, Aran. I can see why you decided to become a cleric. Fighting in that line would force any being to reevaluate their place on the Great Wheel.~ + clerics
 + [ARAN,THIEF_ALL] + ~[PC] So that is why you decided to add 'investigative skills' to your fighting? Safer to hide and seek than stand in harm's way?~ + thieves
 + [ARAN,MAGE_ALL] + ~[PC] I knew there was a reason you began studying spellcraft. Not quite as much danger when you are not standing directly in harms way.~ + mages
 <<EXIT_BLOCK>>
END

IF ~~ protection
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, then th' Shield Wall is protection for archers an' spellcasters. Acts like a livin' stone wall to hide behind, an' it can move forward an' take on all comers.~
== ARAN Sometimes. Then again, we ain't exactly playin' a simple cardgame, Mazzy. Folks hired for the Wall know their business, an' the risks. 
GOTO 

IF ~~ mages
== EDWIN (The idiot thinks he can weave spells. Amusing.) By all means, waste coin on more fighters, <CHARNAME>. Having more targets in front of me will provide amusement when they inevitably die.
GOTO

IF ~~ clerics
 SAY ~[ARAN] Aye, <CHARNAME>, it does cause a man to think. An' evaluate, too. But that's naught here nor there, really. I'd be standin' on th' wall whether I was cleric or cook. But it can come in right handy to have a god watchin' your back, you know.~
GOTO

IF ~~ thieves
 SAY ~[ARAN] Forewarned is fore-armed. I've been on the raw end o' enough deals to realize I want to know more about th' opposition before someone decides to put me on the wall.~
== JAN Forearmed? When did anatomy become part of this discussion? You sound like my Uncle Gertan, who kept talking about his body parts until finally one day it caught up to him.
== [ARAN] I meant 'prepared', see... but somehow I figured this was more about your Uncle Gertan than what I was sayin'. OK, how'd it catch up to him?
== JAN He mentioned his superior foot bones one too many times to Aunt Petunia, and she proceeded to show him how to put his superior foot bones between his superior mandibles, and took off with a follower of Denir. A nice gnomish lad from west aways. I hear they are very happy, preaching somewhere near the Border Kingdoms.
GOTO

IF ~~ likewhat
 SAY ~[ARAN] Sure enough. Like what, exactly?~
 ++ ~[PC] A wall must take a huge hit from any spellcasters around. It sounds like it makes a big target.~
 + [PC,FIGHTER_ALL] + ~[PC] You are relying on weight and numbers to hold back the enemy. What happens when I charge a shield wall with magical weaponry that cleaves through shields like a hot knife through butter?~
 + [PC,MAGE_ALL] + ~[PC] A well placed fireball, or perhaps some lightning, or simply a gaseous cloud... there are lots of ways I could break up that wall, Aran.~ + spellcasterfall
 + [PC,DRUID|RANGER] + ~[PC] Outdoors, a druid must eat shield walls as a light snack. I might call lightning, if I could, and fry them all. Or entangle them and allow archery to finish them.~
 + [PC,THIEF_ALL] + ~[PC] I would probably sneak around back, and take them out one by one. Or simply avoid the whole wall, make your way past them, and get rid of the spellcasters.~
 + [PC,BARD] + ~[PC] A full audience, drawn up into a line, just for me? If I can't beguile them or terrorise them with my music, I would have to reevaluate my bardic skills.~
 + [PC,MONK|CLERIC] + ~[PC] There are many ways, both spiritually and physically, to influence such a formation. Perhaps you would enlighten me as to the weaknesses you have seen yourself?~
 ++ ~[PC] Well, you are supposed to be the tactics expert. Consider it a test of your knowledge. You tell me.~
END

IF ~~ wallfall
[ARAN] I have seen th' Wall fail with petrification spells in small groups, as it's easy enough to go around a few swords what aren't move or are slowed. Big battles, with long stretches, that's not a problem.
== KELDORN I have also seen the shield wall crumble from siege engine attacks, and from gryphon or dragon attack. Something as simple as a gnomish airship can cause enough distraction to stop a wall's chief strength, that of locked shields.
== MAZZY But what of the differences in size? If we were to lock shields, Aran, my shield would be at your kneecap. I doubt it would work as you describe.
== ARAN Aye, true enough, Mazzy. I never did see what happens when a group o' mismatched shields tried it. It might work, though. You'd be in a position to get up under their defense, I suspect.

IF ~~ spellcasterfall
 SAY ~[ARAN] Lightnin', fireballs, an' acid fog take out large chunks of a Wall, but that's why you got spellcatsers to fight that off. Plus, any time th' Wall is takin' heat, your spellcasters can go to work on their spellcasters right harsh.~
== VALYGAR Once again, the misuse of the Weave causes death and destruction. Is there no other way to work with the wall than to protect it with magic?
== [ARAN] Not every group has spellcasters, so sure thing. I never did see a spellcaster get off a successful spell when he's got an arrow through his left eye. That's archery at work, or cavalry chargin' round the flank an' smashin' em but good.

IF ~~ illusionistfall
 SAY ~[ARAN] I did see one time a Wall fail miserably, as an illusionist got workin' so the swords thought their friends was enemies. An' I did see one time where someone cast a spell what made most o' the Wall flee in terror. But then again, most o' the time, I've seen it work right smart against some pretty tough foes.~

IF ~~ wallconcept
[ARAN] Aye, true enough. The whole concept works best on foes what swarm, like gibberlings, orcs, an' the like. But it does work just the same when the wall is strong, an' lucky... it sops up spells an' keeps th' archers an' spellcasters safe for their big attacks. But it be true that bein' on the wall is a mite dangerous.
 ++ ~[PC] I see no reason to spend more coin for living shields, but thank you for the input.~ + lastline
 ++ ~[PC] That 'shield wall' is a good idea, Aran. I'll see what I can do.~ + lastline
 ++ ~[PC] Dense, thick, slow, distracting, catches spells, first up to die... I have 'shield wall'. Just make sure you know your place in combat, sellsword.~ + lastline
 + ? INT/WIS GT15? ~[PC] I suspect it works better with big mercenary companies in pitched battle. We don't have that kind of fighting here.~ + lastline
 + [PC,FEMALE] + ~[PC] I have big strong you to protect me, Aran. You are enough.~ + lastline
 + [PC,FEMALE] + ~[PC] When did I give you the idea I wanted more protection, Aran?~ + lastline
END

IF ~~ lastline
 SAY ~[ARAN] Just a suggestion, you know. Tymora's Fickle Fingers, it'd be nice to have some more help, is all.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

*brandishes pitchfork* Get thee gone, typos! :)

IF [in romance] [PC] Are you sure you want more competition? I mean, all those extra choices... I might be tempted.

[ARAN] Them's what fight well an' be armored well enough concentrate on formin' a line, an' lock shields together to form a barrier. Then, th' enemy charges, an' they hit the wall. They get thrown back in confusion, an' the wall steps forward an' attacks, reforms, repeat until they be dead or runnin'.

== KELDORN There are some strengths to having a shield wall in large combat,

but i have seen the concept fail with smaller parties, Aran

== ARAN Typical tin-can crap. <CHARNAME>, done right, ain' no class warfare - th' concept is that the wall protects th' spellcasters, an the spellcaster protects th'wall - it's like creatin' our own turtle, so to speak.

== ARAN Sometimes. Then again, we ain't exactly playin' a simple card game, Mazzy. Folks hired for the Wall know their business, an' the risks.

== EDWIN (The idiot thinks he can weave spells. Amusing.) By all means, waste coin on more fighters, <CHARNAME>. Having more targets in front of me will provide amusement when they inevitably die.

[ARAN] I'm not stupid, <CHARNAME>, just a mite slow to come to conclusions sometimes. Mages get th' big firepower, an' they get protected. 'Course, they also get targeted first, so really it was out o' the fryin' pan and into the fire, so to speak. But change can be good.

[ARAN] I have seen th' Wall fail with petrification spells in small groups, as it's easy enough to go around a few swords what an't move or are slowed. Big battles, with long stretches, tha't not a problem.

[PC] Dense, thick, slow, distracting, catches spells, first up to die... I have a 'shield wall'. Just make sure you know your place in combat, sellsword.

Stage 5 - RavenBlackified (a good proofreader is priceless) and Initial Separation

SAY ~[ARAN] Perhaps we should hire on a few more swords, an' make sure we have a bit more force up front, so to speak.~
 ++ We seem to be holding our own. Why should we burden the party with more fighters? + c-aranfriend2one
 <<EXIT_BLOCK>>
 + [MAGE_ALL] + ~[PC] I may weave spells instead of swords, but we are doing well enough. What changes would you have me make?~ + c-aranfriend2one
 + [CLERIC_ALL] + ~[PC] The gods provide us challenges to face, Aran. You would do things differently?~ + c-aranfriend2one
 + [FIGHTER_ALL] + ~[PC] Are you saying I am not enough of a fighter?~  + c-aranfriend2one
 ++ ~[PC] You may have a point. Things do not seem to be going well in combat. What would you suggest we do differently?~ + c-aranfriend2one
 ++ ~[PC] And here I thought you were a fighter, not a thinker. This might be amusing. Go on, then, oh great leader of combat, inform your betters as to combat tactics.~ + c-aranfriend2one
END

IF ~~ c-aranfriend2one
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, now. Whether we are doin' well or naught but fallin' apart, there is always good reason to have a Shield Wall up front.~
 ++ ~[PC] What's a shield wall? + definition
 ++ ~[PC] I'm familiar with the concept. That's why I have you as a meat-shield.~ + wallconcept
 ++ ~[PC] We really do not have the coin to spare for things like that.~ + spellcasterfall
 + [in romance] + ~[PC] Are you sure you want more competition? I mean, all those extra choices... I might be tempted.~ + tempted
END

IF ~~ tempted
 SAY ~[ARAN] If I can't hold my own against the rest, <CHARNAME>, I don't deserve you nohow. But I am thinkin' how best to protect you, anyways. Shield walls work great for holdin' back the opposition.~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO definition
END

IF ~~ clerics
 SAY ~[ARAN] Aye, <CHARNAME>, it does cause a man to think. An' evaluate, too. But that's naught here nor there, really. I'd be standin' on th' wall whether I was cleric or cook. But it can come in right handy to have a god watchin' your back, you know.~
 ++ ~[PC] We are doing well enough. I don't think we need to continue this discussion.~ + lastline

IF ~~ likewhat
 ++ ~[PC] A wall must take a huge hit from any spellcasters around. It sounds like it makes a big target.~
 + [PC,FIGHTER_ALL] + ~[PC] You are relying on weight and numbers to hold back the enemy. What happens when I charge a shield wall with magical weaponry that cleaves through shields like a hot knife through butter?~
 + [PC,MAGE_ALL] + ~[PC] A well placed fireball, or perhaps some lightning, or simply a gaseous cloud... there are lots of ways I could break up that wall, Aran.~ + spellcasterfall
 + [PC,DRUID|RANGER] + ~[PC] Outdoors, a druid must eat shield walls as a light snack. I might call lightning, if I could, and fry them all. Or entangle them and allow archery to finish them.~
 + [PC,THIEF_ALL] + ~[PC] I would probably sneak around back, and take them out one by one. Or simply avoid the whole wall, make your way past them, and get rid of the spellcasters.~
 + [PC,BARD] + ~[PC] A full audience, drawn up into a line, just for me? If I can't beguile them or terrorise them with my music, I would have to reevaluate my bardic skills.~
 + [PC,MONK|CLERIC] + ~[PC] There are many ways, both spiritually and physically, to influence such a formation. Perhaps you would enlighten me as to the weaknesses you have seen yourself?~
 ++ ~[PC] Well, you are supposed to be the tactics expert. Consider it a test of your knowledge. You tell me.~
END

IF ~~ illusionistfall
 SAY ~[ARAN] I did see one time a Wall fail miserably, as an illusionist got workin' so the swords thought their friends was enemies. An' I did see one time where someone cast a spell what made most o' the Wall flee in terror. But then again, most o' the time, I've seen it work right smart against some pretty tough foes.~
 ++ ~[PC] Any other weaknesses? GOTO LOOP
 ++ ~[PC] That is enough analysis.~ + wallconcept
END

IF ~~ wallconcept
 SAY ~[ARAN] Aye, true enough. The whole concept works best on foes what swarm, like gibberlings, orcs, an' the like. But it does work just the same when the wall is strong, an' lucky... it sops up spells an' keeps th' archers an' spellcasters safe for their big attacks. But it be true that bein' on the wall is a mite dangerous.
 ++ ~[PC] I see no reason to spend more coin for living shields, but thank you for the input.~ + lastline
 ++ ~[PC] That 'shield wall' is a good idea, Aran. I'll see what I can do.~ + lastline
 ++ ~[PC] Dense, thick, slow, distracting, catches spells, first up to die... I have a 'shield wall'. Just make sure you know your place in combat, sellsword.~ + lastline
 + ? INT/WIS GT15? ~[PC] I suspect it works better with big mercenary companies in pitched battle. We don't have that kind of fighting here.~ + lastline
 + [PC,FEMALE] + ~[PC] I have big strong you to protect me, Aran. You are enough.~ + lastline
 + [PC,FEMALE] + ~[PC] When did I give you the idea I wanted more protection, Aran?~ + lastline
END

IF ~~ lastline
 SAY ~[ARAN] Just a suggestion, you know. Tymora's Fickle Fingers, it'd be nice to have some more help, is all.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

END // of APPEND

/* CHAINs */

CHAIN ~~ definition
~[ARAN] Them's what fight well an' be armored well enough concentrate on formin' a line, an' lock shields together to form a barrier. Then, th' enemy charges, an' they hit the wall. They get thrown back in confusion, an' the wall steps forward an' attacks, reforms, repeat until they be dead or runnin'.~
== KELDORN There are some strengths to having a shield wall in large combat, but I have seen the concept fail with smaller parties, Aran.
END
++ ~[PC] I can see some problems with that combat setup.~ + likewhat
++ ~[PC] What happens if the enemy doesn't charge?~ + protection
+ [ARAN,CLERIC_ALL] + ~[PC] You put your faith up front, then, Aran. I can see why you decided to become a cleric. Fighting in that line would force any being to reevaluate their place on the Great Wheel.~ + clerics
+ [ARAN,THIEF_ALL] + ~[PC] So that is why you decided to add 'investigative skills' to your fighting? Safer to hide and seek than stand in harm's way?~ + thieves
+ [ARAN,MAGE_ALL] + ~[PC] I knew there was a reason you began studying spellcraft. Not quite as much danger when you are not standing directly in harms way.~ + mages
<<EXIT_BLOCK>>

CHAIN ~~ protection
~[ARAN] Well, then th' Shield Wall is protection for archers an' spellcasters. Acts like a livin' stone wall to hide behind, an' it can move forward an' take on all comers.~
== ARAN Sometimes. Then again, we ain't exactly playin' a simple cardgame, Mazzy. Folks hired for the Wall know their business, an' the risks.
GOTO

CHAIN ~~ mages
~[ARAN] I'm not stupid, <CHARNAME>, just a mite slow to come to conclusions sometimes. Mages get th' big firepower, an' they get protected. 'Course, they also get targetted first, so really it was out o' the fryin' pan and into the fire, so to speak. But change can be good.
GOTO

CHAIN ~~ thieves
~[ARAN] Forewarned is fore-armed. I've been on the raw end o' enough deals to realize I want to know more about th' opposition before someone decides to put me on the wall.~
END

CHAIN ~~ moreweaknesses loop

CHAIN ~~ wallfall
~[ARAN] I have seen th' Wall fail with petrification spells in small groups, as it's easy enough to go around a few swords what aren't move or are slowed. Big battles, with long stretches, that's not a problem.
END

CHAIN ~~ spellcasterfall
~[ARAN] Lightnin', fireballs, an' acid fog take out large chunks of a Wall, but that's why you got spellcatsers to fight that off. Plus, any time th' Wall is takin' heat, your spellcasters can go to work on their spellcasters right harsh.~
END

Stage 6 - Check State Flow and Clean Up Chains

APPEND ~C-ARANJ~

++ ~[PC] We seem to be holding our own. Why should we burden the party with more fighters?~ + ~Global("c-aranfriendbg2","GLOBAL",4)~ + c-aranfriend2one
 <<EXIT_BLOCK>>
 + ~Class(Player1,MAGE_ALL)~ + ~[PC] I may weave spells instead of swords, but we are doing well enough. What changes would you have me make?~ + ~Global("c-aranfriendbg2","GLOBAL",4)~ + c-aranfriend2one
 + ~Class(Player1,FIGHTER_ALL)~ + ~[PC] Are you saying I am not enough of a fighter?~ + ~Global("c-aranfriendbg2","GLOBAL",4)~ + c-aranfriend2one
 ++ ~[PC] You may have a point. Things do not seem to be going well in combat. What would you suggest we do differently?~ + ~Global("c-aranfriendbg2","GLOBAL",4)~ + c-aranfriend2one
 ++ ~[PC] And here I thought you were a fighter, not a thinker. This might be amusing. Go on, then, oh great leader of combat, inform your betters as to combat tactics.~ + ~Global("c-aranfriendbg2","GLOBAL",4)~ + c-aranfriend2one
END

IF ~~ c-aranfriend2one
 ++ ~[PC] What's a shield wall? + ft2definition
 ++ ~[PC] I'm familiar with the concept. That's why I have you as a meat-shield.~ + ft2wallconcept
 ++ ~[PC] We really do not have the coin to spare for things like that.~ + ft2spellcasterfall
 + ~Global("c-aranmatch","GLOBAL",1)~ + ~[PC] Are you sure you want more competition? I mean, all those extra choices... I might be tempted.~ + ft2tempted
END

IF ~~ ft2tempted
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO f2definition
END

IF ~~ ft2clerics
 ++ ~[PC] We are doing well enough. I don't think we need to continue this discussion.~ + ft2lastline
END

IF ~~ ft2likewhat
 ++ ~[PC] A wall must take a huge hit from any spellcasters around. It sounds like it makes a big target.~ + ft2illusionistfall
 + ~Class(Player1,FIGHTER_ALL)~ + ~[PC] You are relying on weight and numbers to hold back the enemy. What happens when I charge a shield wall with magical weaponry that cleaves through shields like a hot knife through butter?~ + ft2moreweaknesses
 + ~Class(Player1,MAGE_ALL)~ + ~[PC] A well placed fireball, or perhaps some lightning, or simply a gaseous cloud... there are lots of ways I could break up that wall, Aran.~ + ft2spellcasterfall
 + ~OR(2) Class(Player1,DRUID) Class(Player1,RANGER)~ + ~[PC] Outdoors, a druid must eat shield walls as a light snack. I might call lightning, if I could, and fry them all. Or entangle them and allow archery to finish them.~  + ft2spellcasterfall
 + ~Class(Player1,THIEF_ALL)~ + ~[PC] I would probably sneak around back, and take them out one by one. Or simply avoid the whole wall, make your way past them, and get rid of the spellcasters.~ + ft2moreweaknesses
 + ~Class(Player1,BARD)~ + ~[PC] A full audience, drawn up into a line, just for me? If I can't beguile them or terrorise them with my music, I would have to reevaluate my bardic skills.~  + ft2moreweaknesses
 + ~OR(2) Class(Player1,MONK) Class(Player1,CLERIC_ALL)~ + ~[PC] There are many ways, both spiritually and physically, to influence such a formation. Perhaps you would enlighten me as to the weaknesses you have seen yourself?~  + ft2moreweaknesses
END

IF ~~ ft2illusionistfall
 ++ ~[PC] Any other weaknesses?~ + ft2moreweaknesses
 ++ ~[PC] That is enough analysis.~ + ft2wallconcept
END

IF ~~ ft2wallconcept
 SAY ~[ARAN] Aye, true enough. The whole concept works best on foes what swarm, like gibberlings, orcs, an' the like. But it does work just the same when the wall is strong, an' lucky... it sops up spells an' keeps th' archers an' spellcasters safe for their big attacks. But it be true that bein' on the wall is a mite dangerous.~
 ++ ~[PC] I see no reason to spend more coin for living shields, but thank you for the input.~ + ft2lastline
 ++ ~[PC] That 'shield wall' is a good idea, Aran. I'll see what I can do.~ + ft2lastline
 ++ ~[PC] Dense, thick, slow, distracting, catches spells, first up to die... I have a 'shield wall'. Just make sure you know your place in combat, sellsword.~ + ft2lastline
 + ~OR(2) INT/WIS GT15~ +  ~[PC] I suspect it works better with big mercenary companies in pitched battle. We don't have that kind of fighting here.~ + ft2lastline
 + ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE)~ + ~[PC] I have big strong you to protect me, Aran. You are enough.~ + ft2lastline
 + ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE)~ + ~[PC] When did I give you the idea I wanted more protection, Aran?~ + ft2lastline
END

IF ~~ ft2lastline
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

END // of APPEND

/* CHAINs */

CHAIN ~C-ARANJ~ ft2definition
~[ARAN] Them's what fight well an' be armored well enough concentrate on formin' a line, an' lock shields together to form a barrier. Then, th' enemy charges, an' they hit the wall. They get thrown back in confusion, an' the wall steps forward an' attacks, reforms, repeat until they be dead or runnin'.~
== ~KELDORJ~ IF ~InParty("Keldorn") InMyArea("Keldorn") !StateCheck("Keldorn",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[KELDORN] There are some strengths to having a shield wall in large combat, but I have seen the concept fail with smaller parties, Aran.~
== ~ANOMENJ~ IF ~InParty("Anomen") InMyArea("Anomen") !StateCheck("Anomen",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ANOMEN] It is a useful tactic. It preserves the more important forces and expends the weaker.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("Anomen") InMyArea("Anomen") !StateCheck("Anomen",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] You mean it preserves nobles, at th' cost of lesser classes lives.~
== ~ANOMENJ~ IF ~InParty("Anomen") InMyArea("Anomen") !StateCheck("Anomen",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ANOMEN] I believe that is what I said.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("Anomen") InMyArea("Anomen") !StateCheck("Anomen",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN Typical tin-can crap. <CHARNAME>, done right, ain' no class warfare - th' concept is that the wall potects th' spllcasters, an the spellcaster protects th'wall - it's like creatin' our own turtle, so to speak.~
END
++ ~[PC] I can see some problems with that combat setup.~ + ft2likewhat
++ ~[PC] What happens if the enemy doesn't charge?~ + ft2protection
+ ~Class("c-aran",CLERIC_ALL)~ + ~[PC] You put your faith up front, then, Aran. I can see why you decided to become a cleric. Fighting in that line would force any being to reevaluate their place on the Great Wheel.~ + ft2clerics
+ ~Class("c-aran",THIEF_ALL)~ + ~[PC] So that is why you decided to add 'investigative skills' to your fighting? Safer to hide and seek than stand in harm's way?~ + ft2thieves
+ ~Class("c-aran",MAGE_ALL)~ + ~[PC] I knew there was a reason you began studying spellcraft. Not quite as much danger when you are not standing directly in harms way.~ + ft2mages
<<EXIT_BLOCK>>

CHAIN ~C-ARANJ~ ft2protection
~[ARAN] Well, then th' Shield Wall is protection for archers an' spellcasters. Acts like a livin' stone wall to hide behind, an' it can move forward an' take on all comers.~
== ~MAZZYJ~ IF ~InParty("Mazzy") InMyArea("Mazzy") !StateCheck("Mazzy",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[MAZZY] That comes at a price in lives, Aran.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF  ~InParty("Mazzy") InMyArea("Mazzy") !StateCheck("Mazzy",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Sometimes. Then again, we ain't exactly playin' a simple cardgame, Mazzy. Folks hired for the Wall know their business, an' the risks.~
END
IF ~~ THEN EXTERN ~C-ARANJ~ ft2moreweaknesses

CHAIN ~C-ARANJ~ ft2mages
~[ARAN] I'm not stupid, <CHARNAME>, just a mite slow to come to conclusions sometimes. Mages get th' big firepower, an' they get protected. 'Course, they also get targetted first, so really it was out o' the fryin' pan and into the fire, so to speak. But change can be good.~
== ~EDWINJ~ IF ~InParty("Edwin") InMyArea("Edwin") !StateCheck("Edwin",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[EDWIN] (The idiot thinks he can weave spells. Amusing.) By all means, waste coin on more fighters, <CHARNAME>. Having more targets in front of me will provide amusement when they inevitably die.~
END

CHAIN ~C-ARANJ~ ft2thieves
~[ARAN] Forewarned is fore-armed. I've been on the raw end o' enough deals to realize I want to know more about th' opposition before someone decides to put me on the wall.~
== ~JANJ~ IF ~InParty("Jan") InMyArea("Jan") !StateCheck("Jan",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[JAN] Forearmed? When did anatomy become part of this discussion? You sound like my Uncle Gertan, who kept talking about his body parts until finally one day it caught up to him.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("Jan") InMyArea("Jan") !StateCheck("Jan",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] I meant 'prepared', see... but somehow I figured this was more about your Uncle Gertan than what I was sayin'. OK, how'd it catch up to him?~
== ~JANJ~ IF ~InParty("Jan") InMyArea("Jan") !StateCheck("Jan",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[JAN] He mentioned his superior foot bones one too many times to Aunt Petunia, and she proceeded to show him how to put his superior foot bones between his superior mandibles, and took off with a follower of Denir. A nice gnomish lad from west aways. I hear they are very happy, preaching somewhere near the Border Kingdoms.~
END

CHAIN ~C-ARANJ~ ft2moreweaknesses
~[ARAN] Now then, I didn't say it were a perfect solution. I just think it would help us out.~
== ~KORGANJ~ IF ~InParty("Korgan") InMyArea("Korgan") !StateCheck("Korgan",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[KORGAN]  All this namby-pamby talk o' tactics makes me wanna hit something. Cut the blabber so we can get going.~
== ~VICONIJ~ IF ~InParty("Viconia") InMyArea("Viconia") !StateCheck("Viconia",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[VICONIA]  It is right that the weaker and lesser cattle should be expended as shields. ~
END
++ ~[PC] That is enough analysis.~ EXTERN ~C-ARANJ~ ft2wallconcept
++ ~[PC] A wall must take a huge hit from any spellcasters around. It sounds like it makes a big target.~ EXTERN ~C-ARANJ~ ft2illusionistfall
+ ~Class(Player1,FIGHTER_ALL)~ + ~[PC] You are relying on weight and numbers to hold back the enemy. What happens when I charge a shield wall with magical weaponry that cleaves through shields like a hot knife through butter?~ EXTERN ~C-ARANJ~ ft2moreweaknesses
+ ~Class(Player1,MAGE_ALL)~ + ~[PC] A well placed fireball, or perhaps some lightning, or simply a gaseous cloud... there are lots of ways I could break up that wall, Aran.~ EXTERN ~C-ARANJ~ ft2spellcasterfall
+ ~OR(2) Class(Player1,DRUID) Class(Player1,RANGER)~ + ~[PC] Outdoors, a druid must eat shield walls as a light snack. I might call lightning, if I could, and fry them all. Or entangle them and allow archery to finish them.~ EXTERN ~C-ARANJ~ ft2spellcasterfall
+ ~Class(Player1,THIEF_ALL)~ + ~[PC] I would probably sneak around back, and take them out one by one. Or simply avoid the whole wall, make your way past them, and get rid of the spellcasters.~ EXTERN ~C-ARANJ~ ft2moreweaknesses
+ ~Class(Player1,BARD)~ + ~[PC] A full audience, drawn up into a line, just for me? If I can't beguile them or terrorise them with my music, I would have to reevaluate my bardic skills.~  EXTERN ~C-ARANJ~ ft2moreweaknesses
+ ~OR(2) Class(Player1,MONK) Class(Player1,CLERIC_ALL)~ + ~[PC] There are many ways, both spiritually and physically, to influence such a formation. Perhaps you would enlighten me as to the weaknesses you have seen yourself?~ EXTERN ~C-ARANJ~ ft2moreweaknesses

CHAIN ~C-ARANJ~ ft2wallfall
~[ARAN] I have seen th' Wall fail with petrification spells in small groups, as it's easy enough to go around a few swords what aren't move or are slowed. Big battles, with long stretches, that's not a problem.~
== ~KELDORJ~ IF ~InParty("Keldorn") InMyArea("Keldorn") !StateCheck("Keldorn",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[KELDORN] I have also seen the shield wall crumble from siege engine attacks, and from gryphon or dragon attack. Something as simple as a gnomish airship can cause enough distraction to stop a wall's chief strength, that of locked shields.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("Keldorn") InMyArea("Keldorn") !StateCheck("Keldorn",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] How'd you stop that kind o' problem?~
== ~KELDORJ~ IF ~InParty("Keldorn") InMyArea("Keldorn") !StateCheck("Keldorn",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[KELDORN] More rigorous training.~
== ~MAZZYJ~ IF ~InParty("Mazzy") InMyArea("Mazzy") !StateCheck("Mazzy",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[MAZZY] But what of the differences in size? If we were to lock shields, Aran, my shield would be at your kneecap. I doubt it would work as you describe.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("Mazzy") InMyArea("Mazzy") !StateCheck("Mazzy",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Aye, true enough, Mazzy. I never did see what happens when a group o' mismatched shields tried it. It might work, though. You'd be in a position to get up under their defense, I suspect.~
END

CHAIN ~C-ARANJ~ ft2spellcasterfall
~[ARAN] Lightnin', fireballs, an' acid fog take out large chunks of a Wall, but that's why you got spellcatsers to fight that off. Plus, any time th' Wall is takin' heat, your spellcasters can go to work on their spellcasters right harsh.~
== ~VALYGARJ~ IF ~InParty("Valygar") InMyArea("Valygar") !StateCheck("Valygar",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[VALYGAR] Once again, the misuse of the Weave causes death and destruction. Is there no other way to work with the wall than to protect it with magic?~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("Valygar") InMyArea("Valygar") !StateCheck("Valygar",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN] Not every group has spellcasters, so sure thing. I never did see a spellcaster get off a successful spell when he's got an arrow through his left eye. That's archery at work, or cavalry chargin' round the flank an' smashin' 'em but good.~
== ~VALYGARJ~ IF ~InParty("Valygar") InMyArea("Valygar") !StateCheck("Valygar",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[VALYGAR] A very satisfying thought.~
END

My most reliable muse is my proofreading muse (though she doesn't like how Aran talks, keeps nagging me to correct improper English!). Besides, typos need to be weeded out early or they tend to settle and become nigh-impossible to kill. :)

== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("Anomen") InMyArea("Anomen") !StateCheck("Anomen",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[ARAN Typical tin-can crap. <CHARNAME>, done right, ain' no class warfare - th' concept is that the wall protects th' spellcasters, an the spellcaster protects th'wall - it's like creatin' our own turtle, so to speak.~

== ~JANJ~ IF ~InParty("Jan") InMyArea("Jan") !StateCheck("Jan",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~[JAN] He mentioned his superior foot bones one too many times to Aunt Petunia, and she proceeded to show him how to put his superior foot bones between his superior mandibles, and took off with a follower of Deneir. A nice gnomish lad from west aways. I hear they are very happy, preaching somewhere near the Border Kingdoms.~
APPEND ~C-ARANJ~

CHAIN ~C-ARANJ~ ft2spellcasterfall

~[ARAN] Lightnin', fireballs, an' acid fog take out large chunks of a Wall, but that's why you got spellcasters to fight that off. Plus, any time th' Wall is takin' heat, your spellcasters can go to work on their spellcasters right harsh.~

*remove curse*

Archived