Great mod!

Guest Dryzzt

I just wanted to say thank you for this mod, I have really been enjoying it so far and I still can`t get enough of flirts... You just made NWN2 + Mask of the Betrayer better.

Are you planning something similar for second expansion, Storm of Zehir? Altough I have to admit, I didn`t like SoZ way of creating party (I neither liked it in Icewind Dale 2, that`s why I really love IWD2 NPC mod), I would prefer to create just one character and then add some joinable npcs to my party, good old BG system... It would be cool to play SoZ with MOTB way of creating party, at least in my opinion...

Anyway, thanks for this mod! :)

I was considering it at one time, but Zehir is hugely addressed to the audience who wants to create their own party, and the amount of NPCs is actually pretty high. So, a good expansion project for SoZ will probably be completed by the time the game is forgotten....

I was considering it at one time, but Zehir is hugely addressed to the audience who wants to create their own party, and the amount of NPCs is actually pretty high. So, a good expansion project for SoZ will probably be completed by the time the game is forgotten....

Yeah, I can't stand having party members without personalities, and the extra races and stuff added by SoZ weren't interesting enough to get me to spend another twenty dollars. :)

If someone were to make joinable party members for SoZ than I would probably check it out and spend the extra twenty dollars, but if I am guessing right no one will do that because it would take too long.

Yeah, I can't stand having party members without personalities, and the extra races and stuff added by SoZ weren't interesting enough to get me to spend another twenty dollars. :)

If someone were to make joinable party members for SoZ than I would probably check it out and spend the extra twenty dollars, but if I am guessing right no one will do that because it would take too long.

Yeah, I completely agree with this post...

Just to be fair to Obsidian - SoZ does have joinable NPCs, and you can play with a full group of the joinables. The trouble is that while they have more content than vanilla BG1 characters, they:

-don't have dialogues entirely of their own except for short blurbs in some areas

-their 'interjections' in the dialogues are masked as one of the possible replies, and you never know if it comes from the NPCs personally, or is the same for all druids etc.

-don't have interparty banter

-they have seriously screwed up stats (making some characters really underpowered).

There are 11 joinables in SoZ, and they have good enough backgrounds, and would be a good bunch to develop. But it took me 1.5 years to do 10 joinables for IWD2 (and it was a spectacular failure of a mod). And a mod like that would be wanted *now*, not 2 years down the road. :)

Domi, I would definitely play it even after more than 2 years, because I really loved your IWD2 NPCs (Diriel was the coolest NPC ever!). But I can imagine it is very time consuming... Good luck with your possible future projects. :)

But it took me 1.5 years to do 10 joinables for IWD2 (and it was a spectacular failure of a mod).

It was not! I fell absolutely IN LOVE with Rizdaer, couldn't stop laughing at Diriel, and found everyone else extremely interesting and fun to interact with. The only thing that makes me sad is how much I despise Icewind Dale 2. Your characters made it so interesting that I kept trying to play it for weeks. It was a wonderful mod.

(sorry for off subjectness :) )

Heya, thank you for your kind words! It wasn't that I thought it a bad mod, it's just download wise it was way, way, way poorer than any one-character BG2 mod at the time. One obviously can't predict a success or failure of a mod in advance, but it's always better to work on something people will be mpre likely to play :)

I just finished the OC portion last night, and I've got to say Obsidian owes you guys some thanks!

I forgot just how good (many portions) of this game are. Before this mod, I had only completed the OC once, and had no desire to play through it again. I think this was due in large part to the lameness of the ending (still lame-but the mod reminded me about the large portions of the game I actually liked!)

As for the mod itself (OC):all I can say is thank you!

I've got to admit, I HATE Bishop. I mean, I dispise the character, and was happy to put a sword through his gut :) (okay, the wall is another matter..). For all of my hatred for Bishop, I still enjoyed having the Bishop romance. Thank you for allowing the PC to respond to his snarkiness in the Flagon, before he joins. (*say hello to your mother for me* :) ) And although I like Shandra, no woman likes to stand there and listen to how beautiful, amazing, and the epitome of perfect womanhood another woman is. So thank you for Bishop's comment to the painter in Blacklake (Yes, I get it, Shandra's perfect...please excuse me while I save the world... no please tell me more about how wonderful Shandra is :) ). In general, I enjoyed the Bishop romance because it allowed me the opportunity to tell him how I really felt. (Before the mod, he often had the last word, which was very frustrating!)

Ahhh...Casavir. Well he started out very sloooow, but the final act made it all worth it. (I should not have doubted you Berelinde, as Gavin is one of my favorite NPCs). Thank goodness you can finally talk to him about something other than OLD OWL WELL (a subject I NEVER want to discuss again! ;) ). In the beginning I was a little nervous because Bishop is chatting away, but Casavir is being rather quiet. I ABSOLUTELY loved the scene when the PC comes back to the keep after Sydney sets up the ambush (did you *really* destroy the keep?). I've got to admit when I got to Act III, and the PC is flirting her little heart out and Casavir is still saying things like...."but we are close, my lady" (after the PC asks if he would like to get closer) and "I'll bear that in mind" (after the PC mentions it's okay to admit if he has feelings) I would really have *LOVED* the option of saying "By GODS! What do I need to do!? Rip off my clothes and dance naked in front of you?! I mean seriously!" And I also appreciated that before they were to face the real KOS the PC could speak to Casavir and have the whole...."we will most likely die, but I love you and am in this with you together to the end" speech.

As for bugs and miscellany: Casavir's flirts shut off in the Orc cave after speaking with the inquisitor. I thought it might have been something I said...so I apologized and they started right back up. I got the "how close are you and Bevil" talk twice (maybe because I visited home a couple of times). And, when the PC kisses Casavir I think it said "He shudder and turns away" Should it be "shudders"? Finally, I was surprised that I didn't get the option to speak to Casavir about Callum after the party sees him killed in front of them (as Callum was such a close friend and mentor).

Final thoughts: this mod has allowed me to do something I never thought I would, actually play through the OC a second time. Heck, there's a good chance I may even play through again after that (and I never saw that comming! :laugh: )

Glad you liked it!

I know what you mean about wanting to beat Casavir over the head for his obtuseness, but I couldn't let the PC say something like that because it destroys the fiction of plausible deniability. Everyone has his or her own reasons for imagining why Casavir waits so long. Some feel that he waits because he is still beating himself up over a failed romance and is not allowing himself to be happy. Others think that he is unaware of his own feelings, believing them nothing more than the desire to protect someone he respects and secretly lusts after... [ahem]. Others think that he fears rejection and is unwilling to commit until he is certain that she returns his affection... or until he must speak or carry his secret to the grave. Personally, I think it's a combination of all of the above, but I don't want to force a player into accepting that. An early confession would do just that. This way, the player is free to imagine that his reasons are whatever the player feels that they are. And he does get there, in the end. It just takes a while.

I'll have another look at the bug with the romance shutting off. I don't think it's anything you did. In playtesting, we got a bug where I had coded something as ga_global_int instead of gc_global_int. I fixed it, and the fix worked, but it's likely the fix reverted to the bugged state when I saved it a second time. [Grumbles ineffectually about the toolset]

You got the Bevil LT twice because you went back to WH several times. The chances of catching Bevil "at home" in WH are slim, so I had to set variables in his dialogue, in Retta's, and in Brother Merring's. You probably talked to two out of the three. You could theoretically had it three times. Sorry about that.

I'll fix the typo and see what I can do about adding something about Callum. I'm pushing the absolute upper limit of what can be accomplished with PID, though, so I can't make promises. The file is really huge. It isn't that the game engine can't handle it. That does fine. It's that the toolset keeps crashing when I try to add anything else.

I know what you mean about wanting to beat Casavir over the head for his obtuseness, but I couldn't let the PC say something like that because it destroys the fiction of plausible deniability.

Ah, I know, and the payoff at the end made it all worth it. But I just love the idea of being able to say:"Casavir, when I ask if you want to get closer I mean :) ".

I'll fix the typo and see what I can do about adding something about Callum.

It's not really a huge deal if you can't. Casavir does mention that Callum died with honor etc. I just liked the idea of letting the PC offer her sympathy.

I'll admit I was oh-so-tempted to have Safiya summon Casavir to MotB, but I wanted to give Gann a fair shot, and I'm glad I did. So far there have been a few laugh-out-loud flirts with Gann.

*Oh no! Bishop's right. I am a pox* :)

Archived