[OS X] Please help with Gov't District crash

ericp07

Guest eircp07
Eeek. Assertion error. Once I get my install working properly, I'll do some testing. But I'm starting to like the idea that those Moinesse Avatars are evil. Try uninstalling those. But before you do that, remove the lines with "MOINESSEAVATARS.TP2" from WeiDU.log, save it as WeiDU.log.bak, then blank WeiDU.log so that WeiDU won't reinstall the whole mod stack (which can occasionally break things, for whatever reason). Afterwards, replace the blanked logfile with your backed-up copy. I've also had a lot of issues with a modified version of Nythrunfix that I use. I don't know if those problems exist in the original, but I wouldn't advise using it unless you need to, and there's certainly no reason to use it if you're installing it last. You might try uninstalling that too (but just do it the usual way, as there's no need in this case for all that whooeygooey with the logfile).

I'll have a better think about it later, but honestly I don't know how much help I can be, since I'm utterly unfamiliar with most of the mods you use. I'll look at my notes and see if I know of any problems with the install order you posted, but the best thing for you to do, when you get around to uninstalling BG2, is to uninstall each mod one-by-one, starting from the top, and loading the game after each step to see if the problem disappears. You might be able to isolate the the cause that way.

I was right about the assertion error, and the line number was 12391, in case that makes any difference. I'm extremely loathe to uninstall Moinesse Avatars, but I'll do that to see if it helps with the crash related to Copper Coronet.

In the case of Gov't District, the party never even arrives there; the crash occurs when the game tries moving to that area, so I don't see anything of that area screen.

Thanks,

Eric

P.S.: ToB still working without error. My party defeated Gromnir and his pals, Melissan talked with the party, then we moved to the Pocket Plane, and then on to Watcher's Keep for a diversion. After going through the first three levels there, the party will move on to the Siege Camp, and go against the Fire Giants.

I'm pretty weak on time at the moment, and I can't even get my BG2 running at all. (Silly me.)

My hunch about the avatars is probably unfounded... but bad animations are a pretty quick way to crash the game. Avatars are particularly prone. But CTDs in general, are usually the result of missing or corrupt data, so I just plucked the two most likely candidates out of a hat. You'll have to forgive me for that. If you email me a copy of the Coronet save-game, I'd be curious to look at it.

Have you tried hitting the keyboard really hard with an open fist? Historically, that's worked for me once or twice...

/edit

How far does the load-bar get (the circular fill-in thing on the load screen) before the game crashes?

ObjCreature assert will be a mod problem. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to figure out which of those billion mods is doing something wrong.

If you add the "Logging On=1" under [Program Options] (using BBEdit or what have you), the game will sometimes dump the asserted condition out to the "Baldur.err" file, which can help to isolate the issue.

If you're running with 3D acceleration turned on, the game will crash in OpenGL when it tries to assert (switching out to windowed mode to show the assert dialog is buhroken), so the logs are not much help if that's the case.

Guest Guest
ObjCreature assert will be a mod problem. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to figure out which of those billion mods is doing something wrong.

If you add the "Logging On=1" under [Program Options] (using BBEdit or what have you), the game will sometimes dump the asserted condition out to the "Baldur.err" file, which can help to isolate the issue.

If you're running with 3D acceleration turned on, the game will crash in OpenGL when it tries to assert (switching out to windowed mode to show the assert dialog is buhroken), so the logs are not much help if that's the case.

Eric here (couldn't recall my pw to log in)...I added that line under Program Options, then ran the game to get the crash again. When I opened baldur.err, I saw that it said either an object or a creature size was == 0, and that was the cause of the error (it repeated the line number I posted).

This suggests to me that the only ways to fix the game are to either uninstall a mod, or reinstall all the mods, but in a different order. I don't know what I need to change, so any more help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,

Eric

Guest Guest

Eric here (couldn't recall my pw to log in)...I added that line under Program Options, then ran the game to get the crash again. When I opened baldur.err, I saw that it said either an object or a creature size was == 0, and that was the cause of the error (it repeated the line number I posted).

This suggests to me that the only ways to fix the game are to either uninstall a mod, or reinstall all the mods, but in a different order. I don't know what I need to change, so any more help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,

Eric

I added that line under Program Options, then ran the game to get the crash again. When I opened baldur.err, I saw that it said either an object or a creature size was == 0

The game faints if creature files aren't of atleast the minimum size. That may be your problem.

Add this code to the end of one of your mod's .TP2s, and then install the Check Creature Sizes component by launching the mod:

BEGIN ~Check Creature Sizes~
NO_LOG_RECORD
COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~^.+\.cre$~ ~override~
 PATCH_IF (SOURCE_SIZE < 0x2d4) BEGIN
PATCH_PRINT "%SOURCE_FILE% is too damn small!"
 END

It will tell you if any of the files are too small (I think. Haven't tested it. But it's perfectly harmless to try).

razly

It will tell you if any of the files are too small (I think. Haven't tested it. But it's perfectly harmless to try).

Don't forget BUT_ONLY!

BEGIN ~Check Creature Sizes~
NO_LOG_RECORD
COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~^.+\.cre$~ ~override~
 PATCH_IF (SOURCE_SIZE < 0x2d4) BEGIN
PATCH_PRINT "%SOURCE_FILE% is too damn small!"
 END
 BUT_ONLY

Don't forget BUT_ONLY!

What's BUT_ONLY? Do you think I should upgrade from v153 of WeiDU?

Heh.

On a serious note, I have this pathological problem remembering what BUT_ONLY actually does. I left it out on purpose, would you believe? My thinking is still stuck in the dark ages, when the biggest, most hugest benefit of BUT_ONLY, was that it prevented all those painfully slow write-to-disk operations.

Sigh. I'll learn one day.

razly

Hmmm...OK, do I have to add the above code to the .TP2 file of every mod I install? I hope not, but suspect that to be the case.

I've noticed that this install also has the dreaded crash happen if I create a new character and select Fighter for his/her class. As for the crash with the creatureSize ==0, it is a consistent failure whenever I attempt to enter the Gov't District (no progress bars, just a crash after the "saving game" message, just before I normally see "loading area"). If it's Copper Coronet, as I think I reported earlier, I can enter, and see figures inside, but then they all vanish, leaving an empty inn for a split-second, then the crash happens.

On the plus side (unrelated to this discussion, perhaps), I've finished the ToB portion of the game for the very first time, and all related mods worked perfectly! The only glitch in the game happened when I encountered three "stoned" adventurers, who are supposed to run a mission for the party if they can be restored to flesh. The Stone to Flesh scrolls I found worked on each party member for only a tiny fraction of a second, before each one returned to stone! another puzzle...

Thanks again,

Eric

It doesn't matter. whatever == 0 is what was *supposed* to be true but for some reason wasn't. It would have been nice to get the actual *exact* assertion condition (ahem), but it probably wouldn't have helped anyway.

If you want to be methodical, and until you get somebody who will volunteer to accept binary files from you and look at the resources, you can try moving AR1000.ARE out of override; if it doesn't crash, then it's a problem with a creature listed in the area file (and you can browse all the actors with NI to find any bugs); otherwise, replace the ARE and drag AR1000.BCS out of override and try again. If it doesn't crash anymore, you can load the script in NI and see what creatures are spawned by the script and see if any of those are corrupt.

If it still crashes after trying both of the above, then it could be coming from anywhere (baldur.bcs, any creature or party member script, or something in the GAM if, e.g., Viconia's CRE was bad or something). Running a check for corrupted files with NI might point to possible suspects.

Guest Eric P.
It doesn't matter. whatever == 0 is what was *supposed* to be true but for some reason wasn't. It would have been nice to get the actual *exact* assertion condition (ahem), but it probably wouldn't have helped anyway.

If you want to be methodical, and until you get somebody who will volunteer to accept binary files from you and look at the resources, you can try moving AR1000.ARE out of override; if it doesn't crash, then it's a problem with a creature listed in the area file (and you can browse all the actors with NI to find any bugs); otherwise, replace the ARE and drag AR1000.BCS out of override and try again. If it doesn't crash anymore, you can load the script in NI and see what creatures are spawned by the script and see if any of those are corrupt.

If it still crashes after trying both of the above, then it could be coming from anywhere (baldur.bcs, any creature or party member script, or something in the GAM if, e.g., Viconia's CRE was bad or something). Running a check for corrupted files with NI might point to possible suspects.

Looks good; I'll try these things!

Thanks,

Eric

Guest Eric P.

Looks good; I'll try these things!

Thanks,

Eric

OK, I've restored BGII and reinstalled the mods I have (minus Xan and Kelsey), and am running more test games. I get the creaturesize failure after entering the Docks, so the game doesn't get far into Chapter 2, but so far, this is the only consistent crash I get with the game.

Here are the results of running the code posted above:

[./weidu-mac] WeiDU version 21000

[./Chitin.key] 182 BIFFs, 41794 resources

[./dialog.tlk] 141835 string entries

[./weidu-mac] Using scripting style "BG2"

[bg2fixpack/english/setup.tra] has 101 translation strings

[DC/English/Setup-DC.tra] has 52 translation strings

[1PP_FLAMINGSWORDS.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-COM_ENCOUNTERS.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-DARKRITUAL.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-EXNEM.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-BW_HERBS_BG2.TP2] parsed

[RTTITEMPACK.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-SPSTUFF.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-SELUNEARMOURY.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-LOTRITEMS.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-AMBER.TP2] parsed

[amber/tra/english/setup.tra] parsed

[amber/tra/english/setup.tra] has 233 translation strings

[sETUP-TSUJATHA.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-SAERILETH.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-BTL.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-TASHIA.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-KIVAN.TP2] parsed

[Kivan/tra/english/setup.tra] parsed

[Kivan/tra/english/setup.tra] has 186 translation strings

[sETUP-FADE.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-ARIENA.TP2] parsed

[Ariena/english/setup.tra] parsed

[Ariena/english/setup.tra] has 66 translation strings

[sETUP-KITANYA.TP2] parsed

[sTAR.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-YASRAENA.TP2] parsed

[Yasraena/English/SETUP.tra] parsed

[Yasraena/English/SETUP.tra] has 79 translation strings

[sETUP-HALDAMIR.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-AURENASEPH.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-COMUNDYING.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-KIM.TP2] parsed

[KimNPC/Traductions/English/Setup.tra] parsed

[KimNPC/Traductions/English/Setup.tra] has 44 translation strings

[sETUP-SARAHSOA.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-ANGELO.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-NIKITA.TP2] parsed

[NINDE.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-ALLISON.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-HESSANPC.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-VILDRA.TP2] parsed

[iEPBANTERS.TP2] parsed

[AZURE.TP2] parsed

[azure/american/setup.tra] parsed

[azure/american/setup.tra] has 19 translation strings

[sETUP-ELVEN_PACK.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-STORM.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-JEDI_AND_SITH.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-Z#MISC.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-KITPACK6.TP2] parsed

[MORITURI.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-PPK.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-HIDEKT.TP2] parsed

[NPC_TWEAK.TP2] parsed

[NpcTweak/English/setup.tra] parsed

[NpcTweak/English/setup.tra] has 8 translation strings

[sETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-SEMI_MULTI_CLERICS.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-WHEELS.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-SOLAUFEIN.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-SHEENA.TP2] parsed

[questpack/translations/english/d0quest.tra] parsed

[questpack/translations/english/d0quest.tra] has 344 translation strings

[sETUP-CROSSMODBG2.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-ASHESOFEMBERS.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-REFINEMENTS.TP2] parsed

[TB#TWEAKS.TP2] parsed

[bG2_Tweaks/languages/english/description_updates.tra] parsed

[bG2_Tweaks/languages/english/description_updates.tra] has 34 translation strings

[bG2_Tweaks/languages/english/setup.tra] parsed

[bG2_Tweaks/languages/english/setup.tra] has 429 translation strings

[sETUP-BG2CPM.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-ACEALTMUSIC.TP2] parsed

[sETUP-VIRTUE.TP2] parsed

[NYTHRUNFIX.TP2] parsed

Mods affecting AR0300.BCS:

00000: /* from game biffs */ ~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ 0 0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes

00001: ~SETUP-DC.TP2~ 0 0 // Dungeon Crawl, v3

00002: ~SETUP-EXNEM.TP2~ 0 2 // Add items to areas (affects SOA areas only - not BGT, TDD, CtB, etc. areas)

00003: ~SETUP-AMBER.TP2~ 0 0 // Amber the NPC MOD for BGII:SoA

00004: ~SETUP-KIVAN.TP2~ 0 0 // Kivan of Shilmista

00005: ~SETUP-ARIENA.TP2~ 0 0 // Ariena the Half-orc (Requires Throne of Bhaal)

00006: ~SETUP-YASRAENA.TP2~ 0 0 // Yasraena v7 (BG2:SoA & TOB NPC) created by nethrin & Sillara of the Tamari

00007: ~SETUP-AURENASEPH.TP2~ 0 0 // Auren Aseph V6.2 for BG2:ToB

00008: ~SETUP-COMUNDYING.TP2~ 0 0 // "The Undying" Mod (Requires Throne of Bhaal)

00009: ~SETUP-KIM.TP2~ 2 0 // Kim for BG2:SOA (ToB: required) version 1.61

00010: ~AZURE.TP2~ 0 1 // Azure NPC

00011: ~NPC_TWEAK.TP2~ 0 0 // Anomen

00012: ~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ 0 4 // Miscellaneous Enhancements

00013: ~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ 0 5 // Additional Shadow Thieves Content

Mods affecting AR0300.ARE:

00000: ~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ 0 4 // Miscellaneous Enhancements

00001: ~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ 0 5 // Additional Shadow Thieves Content

00002: ~SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ 0 3190 // Rest Anywhere (Japheth)

I'm not yet sure which mod is the culprit, but it has to be one that occurs (modifies) in several areas, I think. I don't know what specifically to look for using NearInfinity, or how to correct what's wrong (if that's possible). I'm hoping the solution doesn't prove to be to remove the offending mod, but I will if I have to to get a playable game.

Any further words of wisdom as to how to proceed?

Thanks,

Eric

Download Near Infinity here. This requires Java 1.5 (unless you've neglected to run Software Update for the last two years, you should be set).

Double click the downloaded .jar, and from the Open Game prompt, select the Chitin.key of your BG2 install. When the main browser appears, verify that the status bar (at the bottom of the window) welcomes you to Baldur's Gate II (SoA or ToB, as appropriate).

There are tools in the menu bar (inside the window; Java rocks!) to check for corrupt files; I'd run that first, and then you can check scripts and dialogues as desired (unused files and illegal resource refs and IDS refs will spit out a ton of largely useless hits, so I wouldn't bother). Note that Java (i.e., Windows) keyboard shortcuts are being used; in general, this means you want to press Control instead of Command (Ctrl-C for copy, Ctrl-V for paste, etc.).

The tree on the left side of the browser window allows access to all resources by extension; you can browse, view, and edit whichever resource you have cause to.

(You do have too many mods, so any solutions are likely just going to expose or create problems in other places; with an install like yours, you'll probably spend more time trying to hold everything together than you will playing the game.)

Archived