Larloch's Minor Drain...

Jarno Mikkola

Well, this was discussed in here...

Larloch's Minor Drain

I've slightly improved it at player's request. "With this spell, the wizard drains the life force from a target and adds it to his own. The target creature suffers 2 points of damage, while the mage gains 2 hit points. For every three levels of the caster the draining is augmented by 2 points (up to a miximum of 10 points at 12th level). If the mage goes over his maximum hit point total with this spell, he loses it after 1 turn".

Has this been -lemented with an Imp? As I would suggest the Larloch's Minor Drain to affect 1d4+1/3 level up to 30th level(1d4+10)...

I like what Demi has done with the spell overall, but I've not played recently to know if the numbers are perfect.

As far as I know, there's no way to reliably ensure that the damage dealt would be equal to the HP gained when it's randomised instead of constant.

Anyway, aren't there enough randomised damage spells already? It's nice to stick out from the rest sometimes.

There's a typo there - 'miximum' :blush:

And if it's so important - you can always simulate 1d2 by 100% of 1 point of damage, 50% chance for additional one. And etc. ;-) It allows to give to caster exactly this amount of points as damaging enemy.

Has this been -lemented with an Imp? As I would suggest the Larloch's Minor Drain to affect 1d4+1/3 level up to 30th level(1d4+10)...
Has Mike says "there's no way to reliably ensure that the damage dealt would be equal to the HP gained when it's randomised instead of constant". For the same reason I changed Vampiric Touch too.

I've purposedly chose the rate at which the spell improves to make it scale similarly to most low level spells (e.g. Magic Missile), same goes for its cap.

There's a typo there - 'miximum' :blush:
Mike fixed it locally...I'll update the hotfix sooner or later, as I'd like to fix an issue with summoned creatures flagged as 'ally' (BGT users reported Invisible Stlakers who are supposed to be enemies but instead appear as allied).

Edit:

And if it's so important - you can always simulate 1d2 by 100% of 1 point of damage, 50% chance for additional one. And etc. ;-) It allows to give to caster exactly this amount of points as damaging enemy.
Long story short, that wouldn't work as intended. For example your suggested solution would work more like this:

* 50% chance either 1 or 2 points are dealt

* 25% chance 3 points are dealt

* 25% chance nothing happens

The % values though are only indicative imo, the engine is kinda whacky on this matter.

Long story short, that wouldn't work as intended. For example your suggested solution would work more like this:

The % values though are only indicative imo, the engine is kinda whacky on this matter.

That's interesting. I'd assumed that if you had a one-point damage effect coming in with PROB1=0, PROB2=50, and a two-point damage effect coming in with PROB1=50, PROB2=100, that would do it - I take it that's not the case then?

That's interesting. I'd assumed that if you had a one-point damage effect coming in with PROB1=0, PROB2=50, and a two-point damage effect coming in with PROB1=50, PROB2=100, that would do it - I take it that's not the case then?
Unfortunately it's not the case. SR users noticed this behaviour for my revised of Chromatic Orb, and at Bioware forums there was similar reports for vanilla's Vampiric Touch (which due to this glitch was causing massive amounts of damage on certain occasions). You can experience similar results if you test Prismatic Spray, but there it's difficult to notice as the spell is assumed to cause multiple effects anyway.

I got my info from here.

Archived