BG2 Level Up support (partial)

mattinm

Yes, although the '+' button in exe gains a much bigger boost on longer click :party: I briefly loaded my level-up saves mentioned earlier here and gemrb points to distribute now match numbers what exe gives, the same with cg. So it is fully fixed, but was this only a case in bg2? What about other games, should i test them independently?

But maybe back to starting points in chargen: in gemrb pick pocket is always 10 points less than in exe, but in case of dwarf with 18dex it was compensated with boni from to dexterity to only 5 less. Open Locks is always 15 less (but dwarf), find traps 5 less (but dwarf), move silently and hide in shadow 10 less (/dwarfs), and set traps 5 less (...), but here dwarf with 17 and 18 dexterity had the same amount of points on start, in other cases the same points for everyone was in detecting ilusion. The site i gave a link to above claims 17 dex gives no boni to 'set traps', whereas 18 gives +5, but still both the exe and gemrb gave eventually +10... Hmm, I will make some more cg tests in BGT, where the PC is generated on first level, will report on that.

I haven't checked the other games. They probably had the same values and bg2 was toned down, so the high levels don't overskill the actor too much.

That other difference is due to the race and dex bonus. It all adds up nicely. Interesting though - apparently only iwd has skilldex implemented. Like the race bonus, this should be applied by the core, since dexteritiy is even easier to change than the race.

EDIT: Well, i got it now :D So in summary you in gemrb have to implement/fix:

* add dex bonus to abilities on chargen;

* in save store only basic stats + distributed during chargen and level up points; bonuses from race and dex should be applied dynamically;

* dynamically raise max stat based on bonuses from race and dex the PC has atm;

* maybe fix some other values in skills.2da for non-plain thieves (i already saw a diff in case of assasin)

Then all mentioned values should be equal in exe and gemrb :party:

======================================

Maybe it will be usefull though: comparison of starting thief abilities points in bgt (which hacks starting xp in exe to 1, in gemrb i edited clskills.2da), gemrb was r7041.

4838539_747x256.jpeg

Almost everywhere values are the same as when starting xp was 89000, both in exe and gemrb, but there is diffrence in case of find traps for half-orcs (5 more on first level, than on upper level, this is really odd), move silently for elves, halfelves and halflings (5 more on 89000 xp).

At lvl-1 every thief starts with the basic setting: pickpocket 15% / open locks 10% / disarm traps 5% / move silently 10% / hide in shadows 5% - the new skills "set traps" and "detect illusion" aren't included in my guide for they start at 0 and have to be developed during the game.

This starting basic settings are independent from race and dex bonuses, right?

=============================================

I haven't checked the other games. They probably had the same values and bg2 was toned down, so the high levels don't overskill the actor too much.

In case of bg1 it would be kinda stupid, as we can import the char from there to SoA, it would have to fix the values of abilities on import, and i don't think they would dare...

That other difference is due to the race and dex bonus. It all adds up nicely. Interesting though - apparently only iwd has skilldex implemented. Like the race bonus, this should be applied by the core, since dexteritiy is even easier to change than the race.

Yep, seems so. I finally got it :) This is how i got clue about dex bonus not being applied by gemrb in example of human, elf, and dwarf ;)

Human plain thief, 18dex, exe:

Pick Pocket: 25 = 15 (basic set) + 0 (race) + 10 (dex)

Open Locks: 25 = 10 (basic set) + 0 (race) + 15 (dex)

Find Traps: 10 = 5 (basic set) + 0 (race) + 5 (dex)

Move Silently: 20 = 10 (basic set) + 0 (race) + 10 (dex)

Hide in Shadows: 15 = 5 (basic set) + 0 (race) + 10 (dex)

Detect Illusion: 0 = 0 (basic set) + 0 (race) + 0 (dex)

Set Traps: 5 = 0 (basic set) + 0 (race) + 5 (dex)

So GemRB gives only basic set, no dex bonus.

Elf plain thief, 18 dex, exe, starting xp = 1:

Pick Pocket: 30 = 15 (basic set) + 5 (race) + 10 (dex)

Open Locks: 20 != 10 (basic set) + 5 (race) + 15 (dex) - "10" (penalty?)

Find Traps: 10 = 5 (basic set) + 0 (race) + 5 (dex)

Move Silently: 25 = 10 (basic set) + 5 (race) + 10 (dex)

Hide in Shadows: 25 = 5 (basic set) + 10 (race) + 10 (dex)

Detect Illusion: 0 = 0 (basic set) + 0 (race) + 0 (dex)

Set Traps: 5 = 0 (basic set) + 0 (race) + 5 (dex)

So GemRB does not add dex bonus here, and the "-10 penalty" is in both.

Dwarf plain thief, 17 dex, exe, starting xp = 1:

Pick Pocket: 20 = 15 (basic set) + 0 (race) + 5 (dex)

Open Locks: 30 = 10 (basic set) + 10 (race) + 10 (dex)

Find Traps: 20 = 5 (basic set) + 15 (race) + 0 (dex)

Move Silently: 15 = 10 (basic set) + 0 (race) + 5 (dex)

Hide in Shadows: 10 = 5 (basic set) + 0 (race) + 5 (dex)

Detect Illusion: 5 = 0 (basic set) + "5" (race - i guess!) + 0 (dex)

Set Traps: 10 = 0 (basic set) + "10" (race. i guess too) + 0 (dex)

Dwarf plain thief, 18 dex, gemrb, starting xp = 1:

Pick Pocket: 15 = 15 (basic set) + 0 (race); +5 (dex) not applied

Open Locks: 20 = 10 (basic set) + 10 (race); +10 (dex) not applied

Find Traps: 20 = 5 (basic set) + 15 (race)

Move Silently: 10 = 10 (basic set) + 0 (race); +5 (dex) not applied

Hide in Shadows: 5 = 5 (basic set) + 0 (race); 5 (dex) not applied

Detect Illusion: 5 = 0 (basic set) + "5" (maybe there really is a race bonus for that?)

Set Traps: 10 = 0 (basic set) + "10" (here a race bonus most probably too)

ouch, why add bgt to the equation when bg1 and bg2 are maybe different.

There is no basic set in bg2, charbase starts with zero skills. What you attribute to it (checked humans), comes from the race bonus. The rest is the dex bonus and that is all there is to it.

ouch, why add bgt to the equation when bg1 and bg2 are maybe different.

BGT uses BG2 engine fully, in chargen and level up too, and i just wanted to see if some of that enigmatic to me bonuses in BG2 are not level based by chance.

There is no basic set in bg2, charbase starts with zero skills. What you attribute to it (checked humans), comes from the race bonus. The rest is the dex bonus and that is all there is to it.

With basic set i meant what was written here:

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/thieves.php

with:

At lvl-1 every thief starts with the basic setting: pickpocket 15% / open locks 10% / disarm traps 5% / move silently 10% / hide in shadows 5% - the new skills "set traps" and "detect illusion" aren't included in my guide for they start at 0 and have to be developed during the game.

I reread that guide and thought i got all the clue how exe composes the points on cg, but well, you know the engine better than me, once i see the points in exe and gemrb are equal in every case be sure i won't spam the topic here anymore :party:

Archived