Blade barrier + haste

Guest guest

Guest guest

I notice in the little sticky here that Blade barrier does 1d6 damage per second, at least from v2 (I think you're sticking with the every second it does damage but maybe 1d4 for V3? Can't recall for certain, but I thought I saw that somewhere), now my question is in regards to something I read recently on the Biowate forums; it was about taking on Beholders:

"You may also cast Cloudkill or Death Fog from off-screen at the beholders. Other options is applying Invisibility potion or spell, and Haste potion or spell on a Cleric and sending him alone forward, with sufficient amount of Blade Barrier spells. Cast Blade Barrier in the midst of the Beholder horde - it will strike twice per round due to the Haste effect, and your cleric will remain undetected (unless he makes an offensive move of some sort, so just stand still and refresh Blade Barrier)."

The bit about blade barrier striking twice is what interested me; I had no idea it was affected by haste (and I assume is affected similarly to striking only once per 2 rounds if under the effects of slow) and am now just wondering, how will this work with SR? Is it possible for the engine to allow attacks every half a second? I don't think so, or does it do some other workaround, like double damage every second to simulate the same effect (e.g. something like how the 3/2 attacks per round work where you get 2 whole attacks every other round, and just 1 on other rounds)?

It's most likely just me that doesn't/didn't know about haste affecting Blade barrier, but I'm interested in the implications for how it affects your version of the spell.

Oh, and I realise you will not be able to cheese by remaining invisible, nevermind that bit.

Damaging effects like poison or blade barrier are affected by haste and slow. I think that it's hardcoded. It's nice in roleplaying maneer - blades are also hasted, that's why they're striking more times. :)

Damaging effects like poison or blade barrier are affected by haste and slow. I think that it's hardcoded. It's nice in roleplaying maneer - blades are also hasted, that's why they're striking more times. :)

Yes, but I cannot help wondering why the blades are hasted?

Having the blades hasted too would be reasonable if it was the hasted character using his hands to make them whirl all around himself but I doubt that is the case?

I notice in the little sticky here that Blade barrier does 1d6 damage per second, at least from v2 (I think you're sticking with the every second it does damage but maybe 1d4 for V3? Can't recall for certain, but I thought I saw that somewhere), now my question is in regards to something I read recently on the Biowate forums; it was about taking on Beholders:

"You may also cast Cloudkill or Death Fog from off-screen at the beholders. Other options is applying Invisibility potion or spell, and Haste potion or spell on a Cleric and sending him alone forward, with sufficient amount of Blade Barrier spells. Cast Blade Barrier in the midst of the Beholder horde - it will strike twice per round due to the Haste effect, and your cleric will remain undetected (unless he makes an offensive move of some sort, so just stand still and refresh Blade Barrier)."

The bit about blade barrier striking twice is what interested me; I had no idea it was affected by haste (and I assume is affected similarly to striking only once per 2 rounds if under the effects of slow) and am now just wondering, how will this work with SR? Is it possible for the engine to allow attacks every half a second? I don't think so, or does it do some other workaround, like double damage every second to simulate the same effect (e.g. something like how the 3/2 attacks per round work where you get 2 whole attacks every other round, and just 1 on other rounds)?

It's most likely just me that doesn't/didn't know about haste affecting Blade barrier, but I'm interested in the implications for how it affects your version of the spell.

As of V2.9 and thus V3 too, Blade Barriers strikes "only" every 3 seconds (instead of every second like they did in V2), and Globe of Blades strikes once every 2 seconds.

I personally haven't tested that much how haste and improved haste handle these spells, I'll try if I have some spare time.

Haste may not double the effect imo, but improved haste actually makes every 6 second round take place in 3 seconds (that's why it can bypass the hardcoded cap of 5 apr, because you have two full rounds within 6 seconds), and thus it's very probable that it affects Blade Barrier too.

Oh, and I realise you will not be able to cheese by remaining invisible, nevermind that bit.
Yeah, that was ridiculously cheesy.
Yeah, that was ridiculously cheesy.

Now THAT'S good to hear. Have you also implemented "breaks Invisibility" for things like Turn Undead and Bard Song?

And to keep this post remotely on-topic, it's been my understanding that Haste does not double the rate of effects like Regeneration and Poison--only Improved Haste does that.

Archived