No sound with gemrb-0.5.1

Guest Vinter

Hi,

as I am currently having way too much time on my hands, I tried to fill it by installing BG2. Well, filling time worked, installing worked just as well, and after three days (I only recently stumbled over gemrb), it looks like playing might be in reach, too. There is just one small issue left which prevents me from actually enjoying the game: I'm not getting any sound at all.

Starting gemrb by shell does not seem to give any relevant error messages - in fact it just claims it can't find WMAPLAY.2da and STONESM2.bam - and ony one remotely relevant warning:

[PluginMgr]: Loading: /home/vinter/.gemrb/lib/gemrb/plugins/libOpenALAudio.so...[OK]

[PluginMgr]: Checking Plugin Version...[OK]

[PluginMgr]: Loading Exports for OpenAL Audio Driver...[OK]

[PluginMgr]: Duplicate Plug-in! [sKIPPING]

I suppose, though, that this refers to a unmentioned plugin. OpenAL libalut and their respective dev packages were installed when compiling, paths in gemrb.cfg are correct (if CD1 is supposed to point to the same dir as GamePath, that is, but I can't imagine anything else), sound volumes and switches are on everywhere I could find them, and gemrb is claiming to be playing background music at least.

I'm on an up-to-date Linux Sidux, gemrb-0.5.1 (SVN wouldn't compile), fully updated version of BG2 (original German 4-CD edition), no cracks installed.

Apart from the sound issue, the game works like a charm, although I was getting some weird errors when setting non-standard screen sizes. Namely, 800x500 (I'm on a laptop display) was giving me chunks of random information on the lower part of the screen - something about stackable items in shops -, and 1280x800 made the interface flicker whenever I was not moving my mouse above dialog options, and also deleted my savegames and made proceeding in dialoges impossible, thus rendering the game unplayable.

Also, importing Characters from the standard sheets coming with the game wouldn't work, the game just froze when clicking "Laden" (Load).

If desired, I'll be able to give further bug reports as soon as sound is there, otherwise, the atmosphere suffers too much to actually be immersed.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help on the sound problem. The other issues are minor, I just reported them to be complete.

Greetings from Germany,

David

[PluginMgr]: Loading: /home/vinter/.gemrb/lib/gemrb/plugins/libOpenALAudio.so...[OK]

[PluginMgr]: Checking Plugin Version...[OK]

[PluginMgr]: Loading Exports for OpenAL Audio Driver...[OK]

[PluginMgr]: Duplicate Plug-in! [sKIPPING]

It seems that there is another sound plugin which supersedes the openAL one. This is the nullsound one. Check its name in the gemrb plugins directory, and add it to the "DelayImport" section of gemrb.cfg. (this should be libNullSound.so)

Also, importing Characters from the standard sheets coming with the game wouldn't work, the game just froze when clicking "Laden" (Load).

If desired, I'll be able to give further bug reports as soon as sound is there, otherwise, the atmosphere suffers too much to actually be immersed.

Importing characters does not work yet, but should be there soon.

Works perfectly this way. Actually, this was my fault for assuming GemRB.cfg.sample to be a complete template for a configuration file, whilst DelayPlugin was not contained therein.

Thanks a lot for helping! I'll be sure to follow the progress of GemRB, as I haven't played most of the IE games since they came out.

Use the svn version, it is almost always better in some way. If it doesn't build, do let us know!

DelayPlugin is in GemRB.cfg.sample (also in 0.5.1):

$ grep -i delayp gemrb/GemRB.cfg.sample

DelayPlugin=libNullSound.so

DelayPlugin=libNullSound.dll

Blame your packager if you didn't build it yourself (the new options were mentioned in the changelog).

With the svn version you can also try to use the widescreen mod (from git, the new changes haven't been released yet) to generate a custom resolution for your needs.

Normally, something like this would be spam (although, I can't see what this guy is spamming). I've seen a couple of these over the last several months here (they pick up on some word or phrase and post a reply that seems just relevant enough to not be immediately obvious as junk, and their signature or some other data in their profile will be a spam link).

Notice that you have "sound" and 5.1 ("0.5.1") in this thread... probably other keywords that the fuckers home in on.

Yeah, in a short time the poster will have spam stuff inserted into their signature, while initially the posts just seem a bit unusual but possibly related to the discussion. Interestingly enough, the contents of these kind of posts seem to be harvested from legitimate postings on random forums across the net. This one appears to be from here.

Archived