Conversible item "Use Item" button text no show

berelinde

I made a conversible item, and no matter what I do, I can't seem to get the "Use Item" text to appear on the converse button. The button works fine, item dialogue starts, the item does everything it's supposed to do, but I'm a bit puzzled that the text doesn't show up.

This is the relevant code from the tp2. I already doublechecked the string ref in the itemdia.2da append.

COPY ~travelersstone/item/ib!stone.bam~ ~override~

COPY ~travelersstone/item/b!stone.itm~ ~override~

SAY NAME1 ~Traveler's Stone~

SAY NAME2 ~Traveler's Stone~

SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC ~Traveler's Stone

This stone allows you to teleport some places that you have already been, and may allow you to travel back to your starting location... provided you have not lingered too long in your current locale.~

SAY DESC ~Traveler's Stone

This stone allows you to teleport some places that you have already been, and may allow you to travel back to your starting location... provided you have not lingered too long in your current locale.~

WRITE_ASCII 0x3a ~ib!stone~ #8 //inventory icon

WRITE_ASCII 0x44 ~gtreas01~ #8 //ground icon

WRITE_ASCII 0x58 ~cmisc16~ #8 //carried icon

APPEND ~ITEMDIAL.2da~

~b!stone 4978 b!stone~

UNLESS ~b!stone~

Well, it's Misc(0), not a bag, so that isn't an issue, but the text still doesn't appear. At this point, I'm not going to worry too much. I had the problem with the item in Alternatives, too, and it persisted right up until I made up the mod archive to get things ready for distribution. When I uninstalled the testing version of the mod, deleted the files, and then extracted and installed the mod from the archive, everything worked. Weird. Was it a mistake to name my computer Christine, do you think?

I think you've found a real bug with the .exe's item handling; something's preventing an internal variable from setting to the right value (but I can't find what). Rapture!

Was it a mistake to name my computer Christine, do you think?

How could that ever be a mistake :)

Bgmain.exe, rather than WeiDU :).

I'd quadruple checked the files I was using before, and on one reload they mysteriously didn't update the use gui button.

I'd imagine that no one noticed before because we've all been terribly mainstream and just named the button "Conversible".

That's the point, Ardanis. It *doesn't* happen all the time. When I uninstalled the "testing" version of the mod, deleted the backup folder, compressed the mod into an archive, deleted the original mod folder and setup-mymod.exe from the game directory, and then extracted the archive and installed, everything worked fine. It's just when I'm building the mod and doing installations from the "testing" folder that I've run into problems.

I designed an experiment to see if this was reproducible, at least on my installation. I made up a dummy mod folder, put one item in it: Amber's map, renamed b!map.itm to avoid overwriting the already-installed mod, but I made no other changes. I know for fact that the item worked perfectly well in Amber, and it uses the "Use Item" string ref. I made up a tp2 to install the item, using the code from Amber's tp2. When I installed the mod from the "testing" folder, the text did not appear. When I uninstalled it, archived it, deleted the "testing" files, and installed from the archive, everything worked fine. YMMV, of course. I can only speak of what seems to be happening on my own Vista machine. But now I know: if installing from an archive, things work. If not, they may work or they may not. Either way, players are going to be downloading archives, not raw files, so I'm not going to lose sleep worrying that the player won't have the right text on the button.

But now I know: if installing from an archive, things work. If not, they may work or they may not.
This makes no sense to me - it should either work or not regardless of how it's installed. You sure it doesn't have to do with the APPEND and the item/strref? In theory, as long as the item name is in that table with a strref (a hardcoded one at 4978 should work for anything - if you're adding your own though, you'd have to use code more dynamic) it should work, though I haven't dealt with these types of items. It works for tooltip.2da though, which I'd guess is similar.

Archived