Hardest battle

I'm at the stage where I'm about to leave the Underdark. I've done every subquest so far and even defeated Kangaxx the Demi-Lich and the Twiested Rune. Only things I haven't done is Guarded Compound and Watcher's Keep.

So the only thing left to explore in the Underdark is the Kuo-Toa tunnels. In the North-West corner of this area is a group of Drows and some Stone Golems and Glebrezus. Turns out this was the most difficult battle in the game so far. I beat both Kangaxx (luring him out into Athkatla helped) and the Twisted Rune (Mace of Disruption disrupted Shangalar's plans as soon as his Prot Magic Weapons wore off) on first try, but this battle I had to do several times..The main problem was the Drow Wizard that had so much protections that it made my head spin. And the other enemies blocked the path to the Wizard, so it was very difficult to get close enough for Jan or Keldorn to dispel his illusions. I had to use my whole arsenal of counter-spells for my warriors to make a dent in him.

Anyone else had problems with this particular battle?

I wondered if Adalon was trying to get me killed. She teleports the party right in the middle of the enemy field in a scrambled formation, ready to be smacked in the face by a Horrid Wilting via CC, backstabbed and assaulted from the rear by a squad of Kuo-Tuoas. I wouldn't say it's the hardest battle, but it's fairly challenging. Imho, the trophy would probably go to either the final Ascension battle or the second stage of Irenicus in Hell. And any battle in the first half of the game which involves Yuan-Ti Mages (Planar Prison; Mekrath's lair).

She didn't help me that lot, still took me several reloads to beat them. Though maybe she had sensed I didn't really want to help her out with eggs and planned to kill instead :)

Shangalar, yes, took him out with ease as well. Although I might have layed few traps in advance...

Kangaxx was left alone for the time being and happily forgotten till I came to ToB. CLUAed myself back, got gutted, devised the strategy, but it was the last time I launched that playthrough.

Irenicus in Hell was surprisingly tough, without any Tactics' elements. Killing demons was a pain already - after several tries I got lucky and Disintegrated one Balor (never hoped to achieve that, really, I only tried to damage it a bit), and the second fell to melee-Timestop trick.

Irenicus himself was even worse, I was running very low on offensive spells (two wizards, F/M, F/T/M) when he finally gave in to five-man assault.

Maybe I was just getting old and rusty, dunno.

DW said that you're supposed to do that battle with the help of the Silver Dragon (who casts a ton of anti-protection spells to help you).

Ah...that explains it...didn't realize/remember that was the escape route. Due to the Glabrezus' ability to see through invisibility and stealth retreat was really no option either.

Archived