Updated .dat files

Guest DevArrah

Guest DevArrah

I was wondering if the html pages are still being sync'ed with the discoveries here or if they are synced with the DTLCEP .dats

Some of the mac folks want to use the latest and greatest and i already wrote the code that will convert the html ones to ones my prog uses so if the syncing is still happening then it's all good :D

If not, can someone email me with the updated .dat so i can look at 'em?

The effects listed on the IESDP are still in sync with whats discovered, *but* only so far as I update the IESDP... I have an update gathered over the last 5 months or so readying to upload - I'll do it this weekend (I've been holding off till i can resolve some of the open threads here, but... I might as well update now, since people are asking for it).

So, yes, the html effects will be up-to-date, at the weekend. They will contain information from galc's .dat files, the lastest DLTCEP .dat files, from the posts here, and my own research (ie. they will be the most up-to-date files).

Hope that answers our question.

Guest DevArrah

Swapped fields? What do you mean?

I don't think I swapped fields. IRE doesn't have a proprietary .dat format. It should be able to read any of those .dats (as long as they conform to IEDSP format). But I don't know if galc's .dats are in a different format. Otherwise it's a problem of access, not format

Swapped fields? What do you mean?

I don't think I swapped fields. IRE doesn't have a proprietary .dat format. It should be able to read any of those .dats (as long as they conform to IEDSP format). But I don't know if galc's .dats are in a different format. Otherwise it's a problem of access, not format

I meant original game fileformats not .dat

As you might be aware, we work on a Mac compatible GemRB, but we need more support from the Mac community.

The file formats are the same on both platforms... With the exception of .ini files which use macintosh line endings (i think it's a CR... but if dos ending is a CR then it's a LF)

Man, I wish i could help on the GemRB project but I just don't have the time right now to learn python right now :/

Guest DevArrah

i was mulling it over in my noggin a bit and another tricky bit might be the RGB formats ...i think those might be reverse order too bu ti don't know how you are handling that... If it's using a struct or class it might should be fine since yer rolling yer own but if you are using some sort of typedef based deally, ymmv. I'll play around a bit tonight and see if i'm right.

Guest DevArrah

Also, I noticed yer doing it in c++ bravo :D Unfortunately, my c++ skills are nominal at best so i don't think I'd be much use... but may i suggest you try to rally some support from: iDevGames... There's a coupla newsgroups that might be of help in finding some support but i'm at work right now so i don't have access to 'em

No need to submit big chunks of code.

Just compile it and try to run it.

I think some people are already managed to compile it on Mac.

We need Mac specific bugreports, especially about the file format handling.

And, i guess you know the fileformats better than an average modder :D

Guest DevArrah

okies :D that's cool :D

It means I have to use the bigRig (my desktop instead of the laptop) it'll take a little while since I have to download the developer package (some 150 megs) and install it, get a CVS client, the source... But i have IWD, BG, ToSC, BG2 and ToB so i can test a coupla thing :D

I don't know if you've run into this problem yet but all the mac games have 1 additional movie and it may disturb your assumptions. The movie is the final resref entry and just tacked on to one of the movie BIFs in every instance... It killed me when trying to make a resref browser because I assumed the key went bif by bif.

Maybe a lesser problem for you though. The movie is called MACPLAY and it's not in the compressed format, it's in the MPEG format. Also, all the movies for BG1 on the mac are also in MPEG format.

One last thing :D. Have you guys developed some sort of installer for the various existing packages? Cuz if there was some way the mac kids could buy a PST or HOW disc and then use GemRB, that'd be enough to garner some more interest :cry:

Also, if you need a cheap pop, I got some contacts on various mac gaming sites (who were wildly impressed with the mac conversion of TDD and went crazy for the port of BG1tutu) so I can do a little emaling on your behalf if you think that it's close to ready for primetime

Archived