BG2 Confused

sings

I've really been stoked about playing this mod, and I just finished a BG1 playthrough with Gavin to get warmed up. :laugh: Had some initial problems with persistent CTD on entering the Temple district with newly joined Gavin and had to do a clean restore. I started a new game and everything seemed to work fine. Except...

Gavin doesn't flirt, even though I recognized his ring and called him love on joining. Met Miranda and Lanie, got Gavin rejoined, but he still doesn't speak to my PC. Dude, we were semi-married, right? After about 5 game days, still nothing.

In one of the PID flirts, the PC can ask about their past. When she asked if he still considered them married, he said my PC asked to be released from their vows. :) When did that happen? Is that normal?

So are we romancing or not? Before I play too much longer, I want to know: Am I impatient or did I mess up somewhere?

Er... no, that isn't normal at all. For one thing, even if you were broken up, you should have had a whole bunch of talks by now. You have rested since you recruited Gavin at the temple of Oghma, right?

Can you send your saved game to the email address in the readme?

Oh, I know, I think the "you asked about being released from your vows" is so that Berelinde didn't have to do yet another Gavin path, right, Berelinde? So you go on as before but are at least in love. I asked about that, too, in my spoiler thread.

Does feel sort of weird, tho, right? But I get it now.

Nope, you *should* only get the "You asked to be released from your vows" if you said in your ring dialogue that the relationship did not last until the end of BG1.

My PC didn't say anything like that. I tried to send you the save game (unless I did something incompetent, quite possible). I'm not totally convinced my clean restore is as clean as it could be--it's been a long time since I did one. Sigh. I appreciate you taking the time to look at this. I'm really looking forward to this mod. I might try a new character/new romance to see what happens.

I've had my email program open, and I've gotten nothing, but I use gmail, so if the sender isn't in my addressbook and if the attachments aren't in an archive, ZIP or RAR, gmail blocks the messages. Could you resend to my screen name at gmail dot com, but put the saved game in some kind of an archive?

Thanks.

At the very least, I should be able t tell you which variables you need to change to get things back on track. I'm beginning to think that this was a reinstallation issue, since all possible paths in the joining dialogue were tested ad nauseum.

I've had my email program open, and I've gotten nothing, but I use gmail, so if the sender isn't in my addressbook and if the attachments aren't in an archive, ZIP or RAR, gmail blocks the messages. Could you resend to my screen name at gmail dot com, but put the saved game in some kind of an archive?

Thanks.

At the very least, I should be able t tell you which variables you need to change to get things back on track. I'm beginning to think that this was a reinstallation issue, since all possible paths in the joining dialogue were tested ad nauseum.

File sent. (I hope.) It wouldn't shock me if the problem is on my end. My last clean restore had an old version of fixpack that caused me fits. I hope I was smart enough to save a good backup after that but my remaining brain cell is uncertain...

Okay, I think you are right. It's a reinstallation issue, at least on my part. I'll do a fresh install tonight. Besides, there are a few mods I'll leave out to make things simpler.

Got the file. It's going to take a while to sort it out, I'm afraid, since I've got to look everything up the long way.

Hey, I opened up the archive, and it's only got the .sav file in it. I need both the .sav and the .gam files. Sorry!

Got the file. It's going to take a while to sort it out, I'm afraid, since I've got to look everything up the long way.

Hey, I opened up the archive, and it's only got the .sav file in it. I need both the .sav and the .gam files. Sorry!

Take your time! One thing odd happened when Gavin was dropping off Lanie. He said his goodbyes and then my PC clicked on Lanie (to see if she had anything to say), and that started an immediate visitation. Gavin hadn't mentioned anything about visitations at that point. At the time, I wondered if that could have messed anything up...

Another minor oddity: I installed the dawn skies alternate portrait, but only the large portrait installed. The small one was the default portrait. I fixed it with SK.

She should have said "Daddy, you aren't supposed to be here!"

I'm thinking that something is definitely wrong with your installation, because it's showing all the earmarks of a scrambled install. You've got dialogues that aren't leading to the right states, script misfires, dialogues that aren't picking up set variables...

How far into the game are you? I'm starting to think that the only solution might be to install from disk and start a new game.

Edit: I'll still investigate your issues, but if your install is scrambled, they may just come back fine. I'll check portrait assignment, too. That's probably a valid bug.

She should have said "Daddy, you aren't supposed to be here!"

I'm thinking that something is definitely wrong with your installation, because it's showing all the earmarks of a scrambled install. You've got dialogues that aren't leading to the right states, script misfires, dialogues that aren't picking up set variables...

How far into the game are you? I'm starting to think that the only solution might be to install from disk and start a new game.

Edit: I'll still investigate your issues, but if your install is scrambled, they may just come back fine. I'll check portrait assignment, too. That's probably a valid bug.

I did a fresh restore, this time with the latest fixpack, and started a new game. Now that I'm getting a better idea of when scripts are supposed to fire, I wait for them instead of rushing along as I usually do. :) This time, I did not talk to Lanie at the temple. Gavin went into his dialog about visitations like, I suspect, he was supposed to but didn't in my other game. Later he gave a spontaneous flirt so maybe things are going better now.

The only minor glitch I've seen in this new game so far is that when I installed the alternate portrait "grey skies", again the small portrait remained the default version but the large portrait was actually the huge one, so I only see a quarter of his head, LOL.

Oops. Portrait assignments were copied directly from BG1 Gavin, so I'm guessing they're hosed in BG1 Gavin as well. You know, it's really funny how a mod can be out for years and still be chock-full-o-bugs.

Ah, yes, that is indeed the problem. Talking to Lanie messed up Gavin's talk sequence. I'll see if I can tighten up the code on that, make it more robust. Thanks for that last bit of clarification. It's really allowed me to put the pieces into place and the coding will be a good deal better thanks to your patience.

I'll be versioning up tomorrow, though. I'm doing NWN2 modding tonight, and if I try to mix and match, I get all fouled up.

Oops. Portrait assignments were copied directly from BG1 Gavin, so I'm guessing they're hosed in BG1 Gavin as well. You know, it's really funny how a mod can be out for years and still be chock-full-o-bugs.

Ah, yes, that is indeed the problem. Talking to Lanie messed up Gavin's talk sequence. I'll see if I can tighten up the code on that, make it more robust. Thanks for that last bit of clarification. It's really allowed me to put the pieces into place and the coding will be a good deal better thanks to your patience.

I'll be versioning up tomorrow, though. I'm doing NWN2 modding tonight, and if I try to mix and match, I get all fouled up.

I used the grey sky portraits in BG1 and maybe a couple of others, they worked fine there FWIW. Edit: Don't think BG1 had the huge portraits like BG2 does, maybe that confuses things?

Quick update, everything's continuing good in my new game. This mod's going to be fun! How interested are you in hearing about minor typos and the like at this point? I haven't seen much yet but I could make a note of them as I see them.

I think you're probably OK from here on out, as far as Gavin's talk sequence goes. The big hurdle was letting him have that first talk where he debriefed you on the encounter with Lanie and Miranda and set up his visitation schedule. Just so you know, his Journal visitation comments are always going to appear in the chapter where you recruited him, so if you're on Chapter 3, you'll have to go back to Chapter 2 for your reminders.

Typos are unprofessional and uncool, so if they're there, I want to know about them so I can fix them. This includes extra spaces after full stops and commas, inconsistent use of American English (I'm notorious for that), or anything else that strikes you as ungood. Even if it's all spelled right, but is still unclear, I want to know about it. I also tend to be a little too comma-happy, so if you see some in a place that doesn't make sense, shout it out. I'm an absolutely rotten typist, so typos are a given. BG2 Gavin had some absolutely stellar proofreaders, but with as much dialogue as BG2 Gavin contains, they couldn't possibly have caught everything.

I really do try to type properly, but it isn't always easy.

Archived