Dialog windows are completely blanked out

Guest!

When I try to talk to Angelo, I get a black dialog window without any reply. Randomly clicking here and there where the options are supposed to be gets the dialog to proceed, but it's still unreadable. I'll link a screenshot to make it clearer.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/2302/baldr000.jpg

My Weidu log:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1000 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update -> GTU Light (by Wisp): v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #3 // BETA Core Fixes (please check the readme!): v9.01
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #0 // Ascension v1.41 (requires ToB)
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #1 // Tougher Abazigal (optional, requires ToB)
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #2 // Original Tougher Demogorgon (optional, requires ToB)
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #3 // Tougher Gromnir (optional, requires ToB)
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #4 // Tougher Illasera (optional, requires ToB)
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #5 // Tougher Yaga-Shura (optional, requires ToB)
~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #1 // The Ritual (requires ToB)
~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #9 // "Red Badge" Poison-Based Encounter
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #1000 // Detectable spells (required for most other components): v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #1010 // Allow enemy AI to detect the party's magic items: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #1020 // Bugfix: Fix the Mirror Image spell so it doesn't block area-effect magic: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #1030 // Bugfix: Fix the Dispel Magic spell so it correctly allows for caster's level: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2000 // Allow Spellstrike to take down a Protection from Magic scroll: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2010 // More consistent Breach spell (always affects liches and rakshasas; doesn't penetrate Spell Turning): v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2020 // Antimagic attacks penetrate improved invisibility -> Only Spell Thrust, Secret Word and Ruby Ray get areas of effect (default option): v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2030 // Iron Skins behaves like Stoneskin (can be brought down by Breach): v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2040 // Modify the Harm spell so it does damage rather than reducing target to 1 hp -> Enemy Harm spells reduce target to 1 hit point; player Harm spells do 150 hp of damage: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2050 // Make individual versions of Spell Immunity available, so that players can use them in Contingencies etc.: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2060 // Revert Greater Restoration back to only affecting one creature: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2070 // Blade Barrier and Globe of Blades only affect hostile creatures: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2080 // Cap damage done by Skull Trap at 12d6: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2090 // Make Power-Word: Blind single-target: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2100 // Make Minute Meteors into +2 weapons: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2111 // Reduce the power of Inquisitors' Dispel Magic -> Inquisitors dispel at their level (not twice their level): v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2120 // Slightly weaken insect plague spells, and let fire shields block them: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2130 // Cosmetic change: stop Stoneskins from changing the caster's colour: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2140 // Slightly increase the power of Mantle, Improved Mantle, and Absolute Immunity: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3010 // Remove the invisibility power of the Staff of the Magi: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3020 // Move Vhailor's Helm into Throne of Bhaal: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3030 // Move the Cloak of Mirroring: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3040 // Move the Robe of Vecna into Throne of Bhaal: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3050 // Replace +1 magical weapons with Fine ones: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3070 // Make the healing and resurrection powers of the Rod of Resurrection into separate abilities: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3080 // Change Carsomyr so that its Dispel on contact power grants a saving throw: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3510 // Remove unrealistically helpful items from certain areas: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3522 // Remove unrealistically convenient ammunition from certain areas -> Remove all ammo from random containers: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3530 // Faster Bears: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3994 // Increase the price of a license to practise magic in Athkatla -> License costs 50,000 gp: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4004 // Increase the price asked by Gaylan Baele -> Gaylan wants 120,000 gold pieces: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4010 // Make Freedom scrolls available earlier: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4030 // Retrieve Dropped Items from Hell: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4040 // Improved shapeshifting: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4050 // Make party members less likely to die irreversibly: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4055 // Randomise the maze in Watcher's Keep: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4060 // Make the bard stronghold available to all classes: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4061 // Make the cleric stronghold available to all classes: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4062 // Make the druid stronghold available to all classes: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4063 // Make the fighter stronghold available to all classes: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4064 // Make the paladin stronghold available to all classes: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4065 // Make the ranger stronghold available to all classes: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4066 // Make the thief stronghold available to all classes: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4067 // Make the wizard stronghold available to all classes: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4080 // Delay the arrival of the "bonus merchants" in the Adventurers' Mart and the Copper Coronet: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #5000 // Ease-of-use party AI: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #5010 // Remove animation from the Cloak of Mirroring (leave it for other spells and effects that use the same graphic): v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #5020 // Move Boo into Minsc's pack: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #5030 // Remove the blur graphic effect from the Displacer Cloak: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6000 // Smarter general AI: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6010 // Better calls for help: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6022 // Potions for NPCs -> Half the potions dropped by slain enemies break and are lost: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6030 // Improved Spiders: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6035 // Improved golems: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6040 // Give fiends more staying power by increasing their hit points (this component has no effect unless Improved Fiends is installed): v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6050 // Improved fiends -> Fiends have fast, uninterruptable innate magic: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6060 // Smarter genies -> Genies have fast, uninterruptable innate magic: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6070 // Give Celestials slightly more staying power: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6080 // Smarter celestials -> Celestials have fast, uninterruptable innate magic: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6090 // Give dragons more staying power by increasing their hit points: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6095 // Give dragons more staying power by increasing their hit points: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6100 // Smarter dragons -> Dragons have fast, uninterruptable innate magic: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6108 // Enemy mages (and Elder Orbs) use Simulacrum and Project Image spells (this component will have no effect unless you install Smarter Mages or Smarter Beholders): v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6110 // Smarter beholders -> Give beholder rays some chance to "burn through" spell protections: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6123 // Smarter mind flayers -> Illithids have enhanced damage resistance; Illithids can see through invisibility (matches Tactics mod): v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6130 // Improved Vampires: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6135 // Smarter githyanki: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6137 // Add high-level abilities (HLAs) to ToB mages -> All ToB mages who can cast 9th-level spells get HLAs: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6139 // Add high-level abilities (HLAs) to SoA mages -> All SoA mages who can cast 9th-level spells get HLAs: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6150 // Smarter Mages -> Mages cast some short-duration spells instantly at start of combat, to simulate pre-battle casting: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6161 // Add high-level abilities (HLAs) to ToB priests -> All ToB priests who can cast 7th-level spells get HLAs: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6171 // Add high-level abilities (HLAs) to SoA priests -> All SoA priests who can cast 7th-level spells get HLAs: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6180 // Smarter Priests -> Priests cast some short-duration spells instantly at start of combat, to simulate pre-battle casting: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6210 // Smarter Illasera: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6220 // Smarter Yaga-Shura: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6230 // Smarter Abazigal: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6240 // Smarter Gromnir: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6250 // Smarter Melissan: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6260 // Give Ascension demons SCSII scripts and abilities: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6270 // Give Ascension versions of Irenicus and Sendai SCSII scripts and abilities: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7000 // Improved Shade Lord: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7010 // Spellcasting Demiliches: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7020 // More resilient trolls: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7033 // Increase difficulty of level-dependent monster groupings -> Maximum difficulty: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7040 // Improved Random Encounters: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7051 // Improved d'Arnise Keep ("Tactics Remix") -> Enhanced spirit trolls (as in Tactics): v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7060 // Slightly improved Faldorn: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7071 // Improved Bodhi (Tactics Remix) -> Original Tactics Improved Bodhi with SCSII scripting: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7075 // Party's items are taken from them in Spellhold: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7078 // Improved battle with Irenicus in Spellhold: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7080 // Improved Sahuagin: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7090 // Improved Beholder hive (adapted from Quest Pack): v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7100 // Prevent resting in the Illithid city: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7110 // Slightly Improved Drow -> Upgrade Ust Natha's defences: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7120 // Slightly Improved Watcher's Keep: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7126 // Improved Irenicus in Hell (Tactics remix) -> Tactics-SCSII hybrid: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7130 // Improved Fire Giant temple: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7140 // Enhanced Sendai's Enclave: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7150 // Improved Abazigal's Lair: v13
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7160 // Improved Minor Encounters: v13
~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #11 // Chosen of Cyric encounter: v4.37
~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #12 // Shadow Thief Improvements: v4.37
~WHEELS/SETUP-WHEELS.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Wheels of Prophecy: v2
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3080 // Unlimited Ammo Stacking: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3090 // Unlimited Gem and Jewelry Stacking: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3100 // Unlimited Potion Stacking: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3110 // Unlimited Scroll Stacking: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3121 // Happy Patch (Party NPCs do not complain about reputation) -> NPCs can be angry about reputation but never leave (Salk): v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3125 // Neutral Characters Make Happy Comments at  Mid-Range Reputation: v9
~RANDOMISER/RANDOMISER.TP2~ #0 #1300 // Randomise items -> Mode 2: Randomise with WeiDU. No items are lost: v4
~RANDOMISER/RANDOMISER.TP2~ #0 #5005 // Beholders have no items equipped: v4
~RANDOMISER/RANDOMISER.TP2~ #0 #5015 // Demi-liches have no items equipped: v4
~RANDOMISER/RANDOMISER.TP2~ #0 #5025 // Dragons have no items equipped: v4
~RANDOMISER/RANDOMISER.TP2~ #0 #5035 // Elementals have no items equipped: v4
~RANDOMISER/RANDOMISER.TP2~ #0 #5045 // Fiends have no items equipped: v4
~RANDOMISER/RANDOMISER.TP2~ #0 #5055 // Golems have no items equipped: v4
~RANDOMISER/RANDOMISER.TP2~ #0 #5065 // Master Brains have no items equipped: v4
~RANDOMISER/RANDOMISER.TP2~ #0 #5085 // Trolls have no items equipped: v4
~ANGELO/SETUP-ANGELO.TP2~ #0 #0 // Angelo NPC MOD for Baldur's Gate II, v4

Did you attempt to install the mod with the game running?

Did you close the installation window before you got the prompt to hit ENTER to close?

Either of those would produce the results you describe and they're the only things that would.

Did you try to install two mods at once?

Unless you've got something that's accessing dialog.tlk at the same time, WeiDU is going to install the mod. You didn't delete any files from the extracted folders, did you?

All I can tell you to try is a fresh download. Hundreds/thousands of people have been using this mod with no issues, so chances are good that either you've got a process running in the background (minimized game rather than closed, another open instance of WeiDU) or there's something going on with your extracted mod folder.

Thanks for going to bat for me again, berelinde [there needs to be an emote for a slightly sheepish grin]

And best of luck resolving the issue, Guest!

All I can tell you to try is a fresh download. Hundreds/thousands of people have been using this mod with no issues, so chances are good that either you've got a process running in the background (minimized game rather than closed, another open instance of WeiDU) or there's something going on with your extracted mod folder.

After updating SCS2 and Item Randomizer I got everything to run smoothly.

A few stray thoughts:

- I really like the character, Angelo's dialogue and personality are believable and faithful to the general flavour of NPCs in BG2.

- If Angelo chose to focus on katanas, wouldn't it be more natural to have him reach grand mastery instead of splitting his proficiencies in scimitar and dagger? It would also be more useful combat-wise, since his dual classing entails a minimal thac0 progression.

- When the first bounty hunters show up, the player has the option of asking Angelo "What can the Fist do in Amnish territory?" But at that point of the game, the player doesn't yet know that Angelo is wanted by the FF.

- Imoen sounds a bit too harsh on Angelo, considering she has an easier time accepting Sarevok.

Anyway, great work, and keep it up!

- If Angelo chose to focus on katanas, wouldn't it be more natural to have him reach grand mastery instead of splitting his proficiencies in scimitar and dagger?
I would think so, but he must've maxed out katana all right, because he's got *27 stars* in it on his .cre file. The engine probably just rolls it over after 5, but it's very apparent if using Level 1 NPCs (though L1NPCs will also correct it). On top of that, he's got 9 stars in both longsword and scimitar. I can see him learning a star in dagger to be able to throw them, but the rest is a bit much.

Thanks, Guest! Very glad you liked it. Now...it's been some time, but I think I can recall the reasoning behind Angelo's proficiencies, which has come up before: so he grows up and takes his first Fighter levels in Kara-Tur, so he picks up dots in katana and wakizashi/ninja-to (scimitars being incidental) because those weapons are used. He goes to Sembia and joins a regular army, and has to train with a long sword for a bit. Then he duals to mage and doesn't have the chance to push katana to grandmastery. Now there is a big flaw here which I think was noticed at one point: while leveling as a mage he should indeed have picked up a point in daggers, y'know, or slings or something. But I couldn't imagine anyone giving a dagger to a non-thief character so I sort of compromised between practicality and "realism"...(Also, I gave him the long sword dot because, if I'm not mistaken, not a single Bioware NPC has dots in what is ostensibly the "most common weapon" in Faerun)

You're right about the Flaming Fist thing, and really there's a few problems with that exchange; for example each branch gives you different information, so a player might miss something interesting like Angelo's assertion that the Fist gives contract work. I think it was written early on, before I really understood branching dialogues, so it just ended up like that. I might tag it for "repair" someday.

As for Imoen, I would have liked to see more between her and Sarevok, more extreme reactions from someone with her experience; but I will say that when she encounters Angelo, she's in an especially fragile emotional state, and Angelo doesn't do much to reassure her at the time, setting the tone for their next few talks. Really the more I think about it, I felt Imoen was underutilized, in ToB especially but in late SoA too: she's been through everything the PC has, but still it's somehow all about the PC...

Anyhow, thanks again! :beer:

After updating SCS2 and Item Randomizer I got everything to run smoothly.

A few stray thoughts:

- I really like the character, Angelo's dialogue and personality are believable and faithful to the general flavour of NPCs in BG2.

- If Angelo chose to focus on katanas, wouldn't it be more natural to have him reach grand mastery instead of splitting his proficiencies in scimitar and dagger? It would also be more useful combat-wise, since his dual classing entails a minimal thac0 progression.

- When the first bounty hunters show up, the player has the option of asking Angelo "What can the Fist do in Amnish territory?" But at that point of the game, the player doesn't yet know that Angelo is wanted by the FF.

- Imoen sounds a bit too harsh on Angelo, considering she has an easier time accepting Sarevok.

Anyway, great work, and keep it up!

Archived