Hard Drive and CD input

Nightwoe

I've been trying to play IWD1 again, and I found an NPC project mod for it. I downloaded it, installed it, etc. I boot the game, it asks for a CD to be inserted in Drive E, which is normal. However, after character creation when I attempt to start the game, it asks me to insert a CD into Drive C. My C Drive doesn't HAVE CD/DVD input capabilities. I did 2 clean installs both on my external hard drive and on my C Drive and I tried several things on my own. I even tried a CD crack. No good.

Any suggestion?

Check your icewind.ini file. This is the topmost content of that file for me:

[Alias]
HD0:=C:\games\Icewind Dale\
CD1:=E:\
CD2:=C:\games\Icewind Dale\CD2\
CD3:=C:\games\Icewind Dale\CD3\

Presumably, the CD1-part should be your cd/dvd drive.

I've been trying to play IWD1 again, and I found an NPC project mod for it. I downloaded it, installed it, etc. I boot the game, it asks for a CD to be inserted in Drive E, which is normal. However, after character creation when I attempt to start the game, it asks me to insert a CD into Drive C. My C Drive doesn't HAVE CD/DVD input capabilities. I did 2 clean installs both on my external hard drive and on my C Drive and I tried several things on my own. I even tried a CD crack. No good.
What's your Operation System ? Mine for example is Windows 7 Ultimate, 32-bit OS.

Now then the "icewind.ini" file in the game directory dictates where the "CD" locations are, in the [Alias] -section, and when it asking to insert the CD to the C drive, it would indicate that you probably have made a full install, but do not have all the data in the *gamefolder*/CD2/data folder. Again, mine would be for example in: "C:\Pelit\Icewind Dale\Data" when the .ini's [Alias] would say:

[Alias]
HD0:=C:\Games\Icewind Dale\
CD1:=C:\Games\Icewind Dale\CD1\
CD2:=C:\Games\Icewind Dale\CD2\
CD3:=C:\Games\Icewind Dale\CD3\

And the CD2 folder needs to have a folder called "data" where all the .cdf & .bif files are in.

That actually feels familiar what you said Jarno, like I've read it somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up.

EDIT: Ok just had time for a cursory look, but it would seem that similar issues have the common denominator that the \data folders are not copied correctly from the CD's. So that's something to look at, like Jarno wrote.

What's your Operation System ? Mine for example is Windows 7 Ultimate, 32-bit OS.

Now then the "icewind.ini" file in the game directory dictates where the "CD" locations are, in the [Alias] -section, and when it asking to insert the CD to the C drive, it would indicate that you probably have made a full install, but do not have all the data in the *gamefolder*/CD2/data folder. Again, mine would be for example in: "C:\Pelit\Icewind Dale\Data" when the .ini's [Alias] would say:

[Alias]
HD0:=C:\Games\Icewind Dale\
CD1:=C:\Games\Icewind Dale\CD1\
CD2:=C:\Games\Icewind Dale\CD2\
CD3:=C:\Games\Icewind Dale\CD3\

And the CD2 folder needs to have a folder called "data" where all the .cdf & .bif files are in.

Thank you for the information, it definatly shed some light on my situation, but now I have more problems.

Okay, I've explored both my C drive data and the data directly from the game disk, and I've found that there are several cbf files that did not copy over. I tried to manually copy them, and now my system (Vista) says it cant read the disk/cant copy the files. any idea how I can get those files?

quote] New CDs.

your joking, right? :)

Thank you all for the information, I got it working. I did a 'recommended' install instead of full, cleaned up the whole problem. Wouldnt have figured it out without the info about the .ini file, thanks

Archived