Can an NPC talk via the j.dlg although not in the party?

jastey

Does anyone know whether it is possible to have an NPC talk with the j.dlg although the NPC is not in but only next to the group, if the dialogue gets started by someone else? I know that the greetings / p.dlg gets started if the NPC would be clicked on, but I wonder whether the engine could handle an interjection of this NPC using the j.dlg as well.

It depends on how the NPC is ejected from the party. If the NPC is kicked out using the "Reform Party" button, the dialogue file gets changed to the P by the engine. If the NPC leaves the party because of a LeaveParty() action, the dialogue file does not change to the P unless the dialogue is set.

That said, I know for a fact that NPCs can use their B file while out of the party. Is it possible to cue an interjection using the B file?

== ANOMENB etc. ?

It's a very good question on theoretical terms though. The active dialogue is the one the player gets when he walks up and talks to the NPC, but it's theoretically possible that any dialogue file at all may be called. I think. It sounds like an easy area for experimentation.

Using the B dialogue would be no problem for interjections. Good idea. I will try this out when coding and testing. The possibility to have all NPCs talk in the pocketplane even if they are not in the party is too tempting (I am a bit NWN2 spoilt currently, I think). EDIT: In case this really doesn't work, it can always be realized be doubling the text lines into the P.dlg, of course, but I would like to have it as simple as possible.

Hey, let me know how this works out, please - I have played around with the idea, using a "campfire" banter, but not tried it in testing. I'd like to be ale to do the same thing. One thing I think BioWare missed in DA:O was the "hey, we are all here, well except for the crazy witch over in the corner... let's talk" banter.

I don't see why you could not build CHAIN dialogues using the B file. I had planned to do that very thing with the Party Camp mod that never quite got off the ground. You could always test it out and let us know how it goes.

Archived