Icewind Dale 2 - Widescreen Mod 1024x600

Guest Nassius

Guest Nassius

Hi, I own all versions of IWD and BG as well as Planescape Torment. I am running them all on a netbook with a native 1024x600 resolution under Windows 7 Home Premium. After installing the Widescreen Mod to a patched version of Icewind Dale 2 the installation gives a confirmation that informs me it was installed correctly but upon starting the game the game begins to launch but flashes a black screen and then crashes.

I have tried copying the root game folder to my C: drive instead of running it from it's original Program Files installation path in hopes that it may be a problem with the install location as some problems happen for other games because of this but no matter what I try I can't seem to launch the game. Does anyone have any similar problems or know of a solution? Icewind Dale 2 is the one game I really wanted to play with this mod.

Also note that the widescreen mod works fine with BG2 & IWD1 but with BG1 it's a whole other story. In BG1 the game launches fine but certain menus don't stretch/conform correctly. Have not tested Planescape Torment yet.

Which version did you use the 1024x602 ?

The latest is the v3.05 .

What comes to the installation, you either need to install the game to anywhere else than the Program Files folder, or you can copy the files, but then you need to edit the icewind2.ini's [Alias] 'es(to be the directories the new files are in), with Notepad.

Guest Nassius
Which version did you use the 1024x602 ?

The latest is the v3.05 .

What comes to the installation, you either need to install the game to anywhere else than the Program Files folder, or you can copy the files, but then you need to edit the icewind2.ini's [Alias] 'es(to be the directories the new files are in), with Notepad.

I am using the 3.05 version. I tried this method by doing a fresh install to my C:\ drive and still got the same crash when starting the game. Thanks though Jarno.

I am using the 3.05 version. I tried this method by doing a fresh install to my C:\ drive and still got the same crash when starting the game. Thanks though Jarno.
You have played the game without any mods before you modify it with mods, right?
Guest Nassius
You have played the game without any mods before you modify it with mods, right?

Not after trying your solution. Do I just need to save a game or simply launching the game is good enough.

Guest Nassius

Not after trying your solution. Do I just need to save a game or simply launching the game is good enough.

Here is what I am doing. I installed the full game to my C:/ drive. Then installed the 2.01 patch after which I ran the Widesreen Mod exe and using 1024x602 (Also tested 1024x600) as my resolution choice. I checked to make sure that my icewind2.ini had the correct paths and have no mods installed. When using the 1024x600 resolution the game starts to launch, shows a black screen like it's about to play the intro and then crashes. When using the 1024x602 resolution the game won't even try to launch. It just crashes immediately.

You need to "be able to save", you actually don't have to save, but you need to make the party and have a character in it and start the journey so you are able to save the game... in the dock pier.
Guest Nassius
You need to "be able to save", you actually don't have to save, but you need to make the party and have a character in it and start the journey so you are able to save the game... in the dock pier.

Tried it with no luck... Ugh...

Guest Nassius

Tried different versions of the mod and still no luck. Can anyone confirm successfully running on an Acer Aspire D250 netbook?

Guest Guest_opeth2112_*
Tried different versions of the mod and still no luck. Can anyone confirm successfully running on an Acer Aspire D250 netbook?

I'm in the same boat with an Aspire D150 - never have gotten any of the resolutions to work other than the default 800x600 with it being stretched to 1024. I tried all the other resolutions mentioned here and in the past when I brought this up before to no avail. Really a bummer too, because the netbook is the PERFECT machine to play these games on. Hopefully something will happen in the future. Love the work that's been done already, just can't understand what the difference would be - BG1 and 2, PST, and IWD I have each running at 1024x600.

Guest Guest

I have the same issue. I use an ASUS EEPC, all other infinity engines games work fine. But Icewindale 2 if i use 1024x600 the game crash after a black screen moment, and if use 1024x602 just click the exe and read hardrive for a moment and nothing happens.

The best 2 solutions i found for now for this is play at 1024x768, my netbook allow me to move up and down on the screen, its a bit tiring when you´re playing on the bed with the touchpad if you dont use the hotkeys. Other solution is my netbook can maintain the aspect ratio and i can play on natural 800x600 but i lost the right and left space of the screen.

Hope will be fixed soon, it´s the only infinity engine game i still not played.

When using the 1024x600 resolution the game starts to launch, shows a black screen like it's about to play the intro and then crashes. When using the 1024x602 resolution the game won't even try to launch. It just crashes immediately.

I've got just the same problem. Nothing works. It would be wonderful if somebody fixed it.

Guest Nassius

Been a long time since I first posted a question for this issue. Just wondering if the developer(s) have any actual plans on resolving this issue? Like it's been said before, netbooks are the perfect little machine for the infinity games and IWD2 seems to be the only title that does not work with the mod.

Archived