Revisiting Champion of Torm

BPaulsen

This is a kit that's in the Crusader Pack, but I'm wondering if nerfing it some might make it worthwhile to revisit for inclusion in a different mod (ie: Divine Remix since there's no Paladin kits added with it).

Originally the advantages to the kit were:

"Divine Wrath" +3 to hit/+3 damage for 30 seconds once per day.

Gain additional "Lay on Hands" every 4th Level (1, 5, 9, 13, 17, 21, 25, 29, 33)

+3 Saving Throws

Restriction was:

No using missile weapons.

I was thinking that Turn Undead could be removed given the "Charge!" nature of the character, the additional "Lay on Hands" could be limited to every 5th level (1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31), and the bonus to saving throws changed to just +1 (which is basically +3 anyway since a Paladin naturally gets +2). Another possibility that comes to mind is limiting the character to specialization in swords only (Two Handed, Bastard, Long, Short) given Torm favored a sword which further enhances the missile weapon restriction.

Judging from this thread: http://forums.rpgdungeon.net/index.php/topic,984.0.html

the bonus to saving throws was buggy, so I guess that'd have to be worked around somehow.

Any thoughts? Still overpowered?

After more thought, here's how I think it should be to be balanced while somewhat keeping in line with the Prestige Class in D&D:

Champion of Torm

Champions of Torm are powerful individuals in the service of The Loyal Fury. These holy warriors are dedicated to the protection of holy sites, priests, pilgrims, and furthering the causes important to Torm.

Advantages:

"Divine Wrath" - +3 to hit, +3 to damage, and +5% Damage Resistance once per day for 30 seconds. At Level 18 "Divine Wrath" gives +5 to hit, +5 to damage, and +10% Damage Resistance.

"Sacred Defense" - +1 to saving throws once per day for 120 seconds, increasing in strength every 7 levels (+1 at level 1, +2 at level 8, +3 at level 15, +4 at level 22, +5 at level 29)

Disadvantages:

Cannot Turn Undead

Cannot use Missile Weapons

May Only Specialize in Two-Handed Sword

Must be of a Good Alignment

If I get help or ever learn how to properly code kits, I'll fix the bugs and possibly alter the kit somewhat if it's too overpowered or something. Yes, it's now hosted at my new site, Volcano Productions.

If I get help or ever learn how to properly code kits, I'll fix the bugs and possibly alter the kit somewhat if it's too overpowered or something. Yes, it's now hosted at my new site, Volcano Productions.
Well, I can help you with kits, like I did with BPaulsen's requests.

The hardest thing with kits is the spells that they "require", the Champion of Torm's are quite easy to make with DLTCEP.

I would need to know what the bugs with each of the kits are so I don't have to hunt everything down...

Jarno has been absolutely awesome in coding the kit, and I think I've got it to point that it shouldn't be overpowered in terms of abilities while still remaining mostly faithful the prestige class it's based on.

Some highlights:

#1) Limited to Neutral Good Alignment. This is different from the usual Lawful Good Paladin, and the well known Holy Liberator that is Chaotic Good. It can be roleplayed slightly different from existing alternatives, because by definition Divine Champions often are able to carry out their god's will in ways other followers might not be able to due to alignment.

#2) His Divine Wrath is basically a significantly less powerful version of a Berserker's berserk, but with no getting winded.

#3) His potential saving throws are better than many classes, definitely among the best by the epic levels. This is the main advantage for the kit's design that is gained in exchange for giving up the typical immunities to Charm/Poison/Hold/Protection from Evil that many Paladin kits have access to.

#4) Unlike other Paladin kits can gain mastery (3 stars) in Two Handed Sword as part of staying faithful to the prestige class' concept, but this is penalized by restricting all other weapons to one star (in a way it is similar to an archer in concept). 5 stars could be argued for, but it felt powergamey, and should only be pursued if somehow the kit ends up underpowered (which I doubt).

#5) Loses Turn Undead/Missile Weapons as a reflection of the concept of the kit- charging, dealing damage, and absorbing damage - things that Champions leading crusades are expected to do as they represent the vanguard. In my opinion the original Cavalier class shouldn't have had access to Turn Undead for this same reason (would've gone a long way to balancing that kit compared to the vanilla Paladin), but that's another topic.

Well, I can help you with kits, like I did with BPaulsen's requests.

The hardest thing with kits is the spells that they "require", the Champion of Torm's are quite easy to make with DLTCEP.

I would need to know what the bugs with each of the kits are so I don't have to hunt everything down...

I'd appreciate your assistance. I'm afraid I don't know the details about the bugs themselves. It might be easier to replace it with the new Champion of Torm version, with permission from you and BPaulsen of course.

Archived