[bg2+tob ]weapon finesse

Cremo

I've noticed that i was able to make a melee weapon that uses dex modifier instead of str by simply setting its attack type to "projectile", while keeping it in truth a melee weapon thanks to the reduced range and keeping the melee weapon animation.

It's even possible to use it with a shield..

Only problem is that i am not allowed to dual wield it since "you cannot equip a ranged weapon in your off.hand" and "you cannot equip an off-hand weapon when a ranged weapon is equipped in your main hand".

Any way to disable this or it's hardcoded?

Any other way to use the dex modifier for a melee weapon?

I'm asking because i'm trying to discover the best way to balance out dual wielding (which i now OP in comparison to other weapon styles).. one way i find interesting is to simply make an "off-hand" version of each weapon you want to be usable in the off-hand (creating an innate ability similar to that 1h/2h bastard sword switch mod available into bg2-tweaks mod) with the "use str" flag removed.. this way the extra attacks wouldn't get the str bonus which is overkill in comparison to 2h or 1h+shield.

Yet the problem is that by toggling the use str flag you don't only lose the damage bonus but also the "to hit" bonus.. if you could at least compensate with the dexterity bonus it would be cool.

I've noticed that i was able to make a melee weapon that uses dex modifier instead of str by simply setting its attack type to "projectile", while keeping it in truth a melee weapon thanks to the reduced range and keeping the melee weapon animation.

It's even possible to use it with a shield..

Only problem is that i am not allowed to dual wield it since "you cannot equip a ranged weapon in your off.hand" and "you cannot equip an off-hand weapon when a ranged weapon is equipped in your main hand".

Erhm, you also loose AC, as the ranged weapons have that effect, and possibly take more from melee attacks...
I've noticed that i was able to make a melee weapon that uses dex modifier instead of str by simply setting its attack type to "projectile"...
As Jarno says doing this make you suffer -4 AC penalty from melee opponents, and afaik you also suffer +4 dmg from their attacks.

dex-str * thac0 mod is surely scriptable.
If it was easily doable it would have been done plenty of times, but if you have a real suggestion I'd be happy to hear it. :laugh:

Realistically, you have to wait for ToBEx to implement this

For WIS, INT, etc. modifiers a better idea would be to build tables of .effs or .spls that are applied whenever the character has a certain value for a certain stat, and then stripped/reapplied when the stat changes. These .effs/.spls could carry a whole slew of effects, including a concentration stat modifier. This will satisfy many modmakers, who might be looking for something like, bards/sorcerers gaining additional spell slots based on high charisma. And it's less work for you too, since you don't have to bother on implementing every single stat dependant request.

This table would look like this:

1		2		3		4		5	 ...	 25
EFFECT1  MODEFF11 MODEFF21
EFFECT2  MODEFF12 MODEFF22
EFFECT3  MODEFF13 MODEFF23

So a character with 2 WIS will carry effects MODEFF21.eff, MODEFF22.eff, and MODEFF23.eff, which could be anything.

Using ranged weapon in melee is a bad idea, because like Jarno says melee attackers receive +4 thaco/damage bonus against characters who do not have melee weapon equipped.

upon giving it some more thougth, I can't think of a simple way. The thac0 problem could be offset with an ac decrease (and ac vs. missile increase), but you'd still have the dualwielding problem.

As Jarno says doing this make you suffer -4 AC penalty from melee opponents, and afaik you also suffer +4 dmg from their attacks.
Hmm, what if we made the decision to... we could make this by increasing the luck of the character, then deceasing the Thaco & Save Throws and Critical Hit chance by 4... :hm:

I don't think it's exactly perfect, as the area of effect damage spells might cause less damage, but the rest should work OK. :laugh:

Archived