Bhaalspawn age conundrum

Nilfalasiel

This is something I've been wondering about for a while, and I've only seen it discussed once, with no real conclusion being reached, as far as I could tell.

BG1 states that the Bhaalspawn should be either 20 or in his/her early 20s upon first leaving Candlekeep. And while that is all fine and dandy if they're human, or any other comparably-lived race, how does it work if you choose an elven PC? Given their long lifespans, wouldn't a 20-year old Bhaalspawn basically be a baby?

Personally, I always thought that elven maturity issue ( 110 old of adolescence? gosh...) was more of a cultural than physical matter. Like, learning language, arts, history and such takes time, and lot of time at that. I remember Drizzt pondering over his relations with Cattie-brie in "Starless Night" and him stating how he's still a child for drow standards- but then, he appeared to be quite an adult on the surface, and a match to a twenty-something years old human woman, yes?

Taking as elven/half-elven CHARNAME was raised by human father, he/she might be then subjected to a human cultural maturity measure?... I don't know.

Just few loose thoughts... And my first post, too. :)

Elven age is for physical maturity. Elves which aren't mature receive stat penalties for not being mature just like other races. And childhood, adolescence, etc. means the same as in case of humans. They grow up slowly, just as they age slowly. So, CHARNAME would be just a kid.By the way. According to the Complete Book of Elves, apparently elves brought up by humans usually end up insane or suicidal due to not being able to cope with their long life spans.

apparently elves brought up by humans usually end up insane or suicidal due to not being able to cope with their long life spans.
So that explains... oh no it doesn't... not the insane part anyway :p

My elven PC's are suicidal, but only cause I'm insane!!! muhahahaha :D

Been following this topic for a while, and I would say that it does not matter, an Elf who has been risen by humans and had a human companion as a "sister", will defenitly be as mature as his training, education... ect, and his/her character (I know a few 30 years old ppl who act as a 5 year old, and 16 who think as a 25, so it really depends on the person and all the above). Now, let's say that it goes normal, then CHARNAME and Imoen will have the same lvl of maturity, no matter the race. An Elf body will develop at the same rate as a human till he reaches 16/18 or maybe more, so been that the case there's nothing that says that his/her brain will develop at different rate.

An Elf body will develop at the same rate as a human till he reaches 16/18 or maybe more, so been that the case there's nothing that says that his/her brain will develop at different rate.

You are wrong.According to Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves, Elves receive the following ability penalties during childhood:-4 to Strength-2 to Dexterity-4 to Intelligence-4 to Wisdom

Not sure that a sitting lifestyle is the issue so much as teenagers actually being more limber than adults. There's a reason gymnasts, dancers, and skaters are usually so young. Granted, the elven body probably doesn't start deteriorating as soon as it hits adulthood, so it's slightly less fishy for them. Do you know if this -2 apply to humans also?

Not sure that a sitting lifestyle is the issue so much as teenagers actually being more limber than adults. There's a reason gymnasts, dancers, and skaters are usually so young. Granted, the elven body probably doesn't start deteriorating as soon as it hits adulthood, so it's slightly less fishy for them. Do you know if this -2 apply to humans also?

It's children. Like in pre-puberty. Teenagers don't have that penalty. Another dex penalty comes when hitting the middle age.

Nice :)

I did not know that, but I think that my words still apply, unless u refer to a teenager state as an elven, which should occur when the elf is 80 years old more or less if I'm not mistaken. (I should say that all my words are book-based, and not rule-based).

for exemple, let's take the famous Drizzt, if u read his 1st trilogy (or 2nd, depends who u look at it), he seems pretty clever to me even as a 6 years all, and pretty skilled too.....

what needs to be remembered is that the "rules" on stats are like stereotypes.

There can be individuals who vary one way or the other depending upon life circumstances, but on the average the rule applies.

Examples:

a kid who sits on his arse all day playing games/reading books may have good eye-hand coordination and/or intelligence but lack the muscular dexterity needed to run away from a fight, put up a good defense, or just dodge the blows.

a kid who runs around outside playing games may have built up the strength, stamina, and dexterity needed to survive at least a few rounds with a bully and have some wisdom to know their limitations and possibly determine those of their competitor.

This is why on character creation we can fluctuate the stats to our liking. Otherwise, the game would roll and we'd be stuck with it.

now how we get onto stats from age is beyond me LOL

Another thing I want to know.... Alando's prophecy says of Bhaal that 'he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny" Is there really only a score (score = twenty)?

According to the intro video to ToB there are 5 dragging armies across the lands. CHARNAME is Bhaalspawn and Imoen is later learned to be one. That makes 7. Sarevok who was killed in BG is of course one too. That's a total of 8 known Bhaalspawn. I suppose one could say that the guy initially killed by Sarevok in the opening video of BG is also Bhaalspawn as he pleads for his life saying "there are others, I can show you" So that would make 9. It would be interesting to know who the other 11 Bhaalspawn are.

course if it is mentioned in BG2... don't tell me LOL I've not actually played BG2 very far at all. Its bad enough I've already got the spoiler about Imoen...

I think they're implying tons and tons of offspring with the word "score", rather than just 20. That's definitely shown in the ending movie of BGI, at least.

now that you mention it, I do remember that video... It just doesn't set right with me to say score and there be more. UNLESS Alaundo is referring to an actual score who become worthy potential candidates. But then I'd expect a brief philosophical conversation or two about that at some point in the games.... even if it's heard in passing or read in one of the many books scattered about...

Nice :)

I did not know that, but I think that my words still apply, unless u refer to a teenager state as an elven, which should occur when the elf is 80 years old more or less if I'm not mistaken. (I should say that all my words are book-based, and not rule-based).

Yeah, adolescent.

Archived