Sanctuary and SR

Salk

Eh...it's a long story. I discussed this matter some time ago with David when I proposed my huge plan to make Sanctuary behave as per PnP. Long story short, yes the AI consider Sanctuary just as an Invisibility spell in all respects, and vanilla's anti-invisibility spells sadly dispelled Sanctuary too! :( Now, I do know how to "fix" the spell itself (though it involves patching almost all spells), but David told me the AI isn't prepared to handle it the same way players can. Actually, he even asked me to add an 'invisibility' opcode to Sanctuary to make sure players and the AI are on the same level, because right now players can see opponents under Sanctuary and use AoE spells, the AI cannot. The same would be true with my suggested PnP Sanctuary, because I wanted to use "protection from creature" opcode (to make the protected creature untargetable), but unfortunately the AI reacts to that as if the protected creature is not there at all. :(

The current plan was to simply make anti-invisibility spells not work against Sanctuary (that is obviously an absolute must imo), but the more drastic revision was put on hold. I'd be curious to know aVENGER's opinion on this matter, perhaps we can join our efforts and make his fiends not ignore Sanctuary if he wish so and there's a way to make the AI handle the whole thing.

I'd be curious to know aVENGER's opinion on this matter

I'm with DavidW on this.

The aforementioned behavior may seem odd, but it has been a part of the original game since the days of BG1 and nearly all AI scripts (whether modded or unmodded) treat Sanctuary as Invisibility.

Yay my little debugging researchs aren't for naught and inspire some reactions! :rolleyes:

Now if someone had insight on my CtB issues and the un-(wrongly) documented LevelParty trigger :D

(Like I'm also trying to figure out why CLERIC_MAGIC_RESISTANCE used by AI removes feet circle in my game -.-)

Even if the AI treats the player as if they are not there, Sanctuary ends if you take a hostile action, right? If it has a two or three round duration, that basically just lets you do a couple non-hostile things before it expires. I don't think it would overpowered, really.

Kinda related to the topic, while testing Sanctuary I found out Finger of Death (at least wizard one, haven't tested cleric verion) and Disintegrate bypass invisibility. Is this intended? Both are only modded by

Mods affecting SPWI713.SPL:

00000: /* from game biffs */ ~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ 0 0 // Spell Revisions: v3.1

00001: ~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ 0 20 // Mirror Image Fix: v3.1

00002: /* acted upon in an indetectable manner */~GENERALIZED_BIFFING/GENERALIZED_BIFFING.TP2~ 0 0 // Generalized Biffing: v2.2

00003: /* acted upon in an indetectable manner */~GENERALIZED_BIFFING/GENERALIZED_BIFFING.TP2~ 0 0 // Generalized Biffing: v2.2

Kinda related to the topic, while testing Sanctuary I found out Finger of Death (at least wizard one, haven't tested cleric verion) and Disintegrate bypass invisibility. Is this intended? Both are only modded by
As a guess, ToBEx moves the "ignore MI" flag from header to effect, and header's bit is used instead for bypassing invisibility.

Wisp has pointed out recently that ToBEx's implementation is different from Taimon's. What I didn't realize then was the fact SR's component may now malfunction when ToBEx is installed. I'm not certain what should be done to fix it, I need to see it firsthand to be sure.

Found it, somehow these 2 spells and maybe more take advantage from "Configurable Spells Can Target Invisible=1"

-----880 Configurable Spells Can Target Invisible [M]

Adds new bit 24 to spell flags 'Can Target Invisible'

This includes all creatures with invisibility and/or sanctuary

Modding Note

If this hack is enabled and a player attempts to use an item ability on an invisible/sanctuary creature with bit 26 set, string reference 46529 will display.

It reads 'Spell Cancelled: Can not target spells on invisible or sanctuaried creatures.'

This is not consistent with this hack.

Mods using this hack should change the string reference to read 'Action Cancelled: Can not target action on invisible or sanctuaried creatures.'

This substitutes the words 'Spell' with 'Action' and allows compatibility with the 'Configurable Items Cannot Target Invisible' hack.

Options:

-0: disabled

-1: enabled

Archived