Improved Haste

Demivrgvs

As requested by kreso, here it is a first attempt to make this spell work as planned for SR V4. Anyone is free to download and use it instead of V3's IH but keep in mind we are still not sure how SCS reacts to it, and I don't have appropriate translations for non-english installs.

Treat the attached file as you would with any other hotfix for SR, re-installing is necessary to handle the description.

While I was at it I've actually done more than just changing it from 2x apr to +2, as I've added the "missing" 3E-like bonuses to thac0, AC and reflex saves (not sure if they'll stay), increased casting time from 5 to 6, and slightly reduced duration from "3 rounds + 1 round/level" to simply "1 round/level".

Improved Haste

Level: 6

School: Alteration

Range: Long

Duration: 1 round/level

Casting Time: 6

Area of Effect: 1 creature

Saving Throw: None

When this spell is cast, the recipient of this spell function at double its normal movement rate, gains a +2 bonus to attack rolls, armor class, and saving throws vs. breath, and can make two extra attacks each round. Furthermore, the rate at which the creature is regenerating or suffering damage from poison is doubled. Spellcasting and spell effects are not affected. Improved Haste negates and counters the effects of a Slow spell. This spell is not cumulative with itself or with other similar magic.

@kreso, while you are at it, would you mind to test once and for all if haste and slow really affect spell casting time or not? :)

spell_rev.rar

Re-uploaded:

- Apr bonus had incorrect target parameter

- I don't know why thac0 was not working, it seemed fine. Are you sure? Anyway, I changed it from opcode 278 to 54 now, this way the bonus is applied on base thac0 and should be displayed more visibly.

- AC bonus seems fine

- saves vs. breath at +3 is even more strange...I see +2 with NI.

Apr +2 correctly. Need 5 min to check for fighter's with 4 natural apr, but I guess it will be fine.

THAC0 now working +2 correctly displayed. Yes, for this I'm (was) sure, it was the first thing I checked.

AC +2

Breath -2 to save. Must have left a ring or something.

EDIT:

It works correctly for 4 apr, sets it to 6. I was afraid it didn't, then I forgot I left vanilla tables which it sets to 5.

Thanks again!

P.S.

I remember when trying out "Called Shot" it also had something buggy which you fixed by changing the opcode for THAC0 bonuses.

Apr +2 correctly. Need 5 min to check for fighter's with 4 natural apr, but I guess it will be fine.

THAC0 now working +2 correctly displayed. Yes, for this I'm (was) sure, it was the first thing I checked.

AC +2

Breath -2 to save. Must have left a ring or something.

EDIT:

It works correctly for 4 apr, sets it to 6. I was afraid it didn't, then I forgot I left vanilla tables which it sets to 5.

Thanks again!

Good. :)

I remember when trying out "Called Shot" it also had something buggy which you fixed by changing the opcode for THAC0 bonuses.
That was melee/ranged thac0 opcodes not working well with negative values. In this case I'm almost sure it was simply a matter of opcode 278 not showing up on character screen the same way opcode 54 does.
Still not an area of effect, still not using it, unfortunately...never understood it not being an area of effect. >.<
LOL, this spell was overpowered even as a single target spell! Make it affect multiple targets and you would end up with an utterly broken spell. Just imagine an horde of summons, not to mention a large group of Fighters, all getting 2x or +2 apr. :D

Imp.Haste now won't give more than 6 APR. Within KR "Revised Grandmastery" and IR it only affects Monks and warriors wielding both Belm and Gauntlets of Weapon Mastery, not a big deal.

Good thing is that it can be used with KR's WW attack and it doesn't wrap around to 2 apr, instead sets it to maximum (10).

Still not an area of effect, still not using it, unfortunately...never understood it not being an area of effect. >.<
LOL, this spell was overpowered even as a single target spell! Make it affect multiple targets and you would end up with an utterly broken spell. Just imagine an horde of summons, not to mention a large group of Fighters, all getting 2x or +2 apr. :D

Well, yeah, 2x was clearly broken, obviously - both literally and in terms of balance. But now it's just +2 - an improved haste. Don't see any reason for it not being area anymore. I mean, I guess +2 is still pretty significant...hrm...

Guess, I'll give it a shot as well, changes sounds fine with me and I too wasn't a big fan of this OP spell. Even with only WW it is enough to dispatch hard foes in SCS easily, there is no need to have something similar that lasts for ages and makes you a devastating kiling machine.

But would still leave it single target, since it has other benefits - no fatigue and even boost AC. So in terms of balance, this spell cast as AoE 'd be quite nasty too.

[and I guess it shouldn't collide with SCS content, bosses or similar usually have hard-coded ApR bonus or items to reflect it and to make it un-dispellable - ie Sword of Greed/ Imp. Irenicus in Hell]

edit: love it !! *nuff said*

Archived