Parse error related to the "^" symbol when assigning script

polytope

I'm using A^ as my modder prefix but encounter a problem when trying to assign a creature a script prefixed A^ with Weidu. I tried giving a "general" script to an umber hulk:

WRITE_ASCII 0x260 A^UMBER1

This invariably fails, renaming the script to A_UMBER1 and altering the TP2 as follows fixed the problem.

WRITE_ASCII 0x260 A_UMBER1

The problem is specifically with the "^" character, and not for every purpose either. A script named A^XYZ.baf will still compile, and a creature copied to override with A^XYZ referenced as it's script will work fine in that case, this problem only appears when trying to patch a creature's scripts with Weidu.

Can anyone comment on this bug?

(i) ^ is one of the special characters used by WEIDU regexps.

(ii) ^ is the string concatenation operator, so a^umber means "the string obtained by concatenating the value of variable a and variable umber. (Since neither are defined, WEIDU chokes.)

It doesn't sound like these are bugs, just features of how ^ works. With care (and assiduous use of quotation marks) you could work around it, but honestly, don't bother. Pick another prefix.

Polytope, you are in the same boat as anyone who picked a prefix starting with something other than an alphanumerical. You can't use your prefix as a bareword, but have to enclose it in string delimiters because WeiDU can't automatically infer that it's a string.

WRITE_ASCII 0x260 ~A^UMBER1~

Archived