BG2 -> Player dam. rolls not random -> What causes this?

SFJake

I'm playing a heavily modded game (so modded by my one manual modifications that I have no idea what is which and don't want to start again, but if you want I'll still give you my list of mod).

Basically, when I do damage, it always rolls the maximum damage. Only for player NPCs, not anyone else.

I have only ever seen one topic talk of this: http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=24768

But I'm not using GemRB (I don't even know what it is).

He says to put sps(IE_LUCK,0) # in the console, but that command doesn't seem valid.

So I guess its a luck issues, but I have no idea what to do about it. Where is "luck" even stored? My hit chances don't seem screwed though.

I just want to know whatever hack-save editing-near infinity'ing I need to do to get around it. Thanks for any tip or ideas.

I'm playing a heavily modded game (so modded by my one manual modifications that I have no idea what is which and don't want to start again, but if you want I'll still give you my list of mod).

Weidu.log -files content will tell us what we are dealing with in this scope, so open the file with Notepad for example and copy paste the info in a post.

So which kind of character is this NPC then ? It's likely something special about him that makes this effect, example is the character is a Kensai and ups the Kai ability was left on for eternity. Similar effect can be done by any effect that uses the #250 opcode, or an item that gives the effect.

Sorry I took so long to answer, stuff happened and I forgot.

It was incredibly silly of me, it was the difficulty slider. I somehow removed that from my mind, as if it couldn't possibly be that. Thats why I couldn't find anything, of course my characters actually had 0 luck.

That begs an interesting question, however.

What does difficulty do to luck? Heck, what does difficulty do at all that isn't documented?

I know specifics for only damage increase (for you), decrease (for enemy) and xp modifier (iwd only). Do the help strings mention more?

Normal: Max hit point rolls, characters cannot permanently die, no chance to fail to learn spell

Novice: Enemies to half damage

That is what the difficulties mention. Novice (easiest) says only half damage but its only on novice that I get max damage rolls.

What does difficulty do to luck? Heck, what does difficulty do at all that isn't documented?

"Easiest" setting gives you +5 to Luck in BG2. That's +5 to minimum damage rolls (1d6 weapon will always do 6 damage for example, while 1d10 can do from 6 to 10 damage). THAC0 is boosted by 5 as well.

All enemy damage rolls are decreased by 5 per die rolled.

Meaning, 10d6 spell would always do 10 damage ; 10dx(6-5) , which is the minimum.

"Easiest" setting gives you +5 to Luck in BG2. That's +5 to minimum damage rolls (1d6 weapon will always do 6 damage for example, while 1d10 can do from 6 to 10 damage). THAC0 is boosted by 5 as well.

All enemy damage rolls are decreased by 5 per die rolled.

Meaning, 10d6 spell would always do 10 damage ; 10dx(6-5) , which is the minimum.

Oh, and enemies do half damage as well.

Archived