use of Find Familiar by a character in MP mode

Lemernis

I'm having to recreate some things here since I lost my Override folder with the new patch...

I noticed that the spell description for SPINSFD.SPL is still for Summon Ghast. But because this is a special ability it's not going to appear anywhere in-game right?

But because this is a special ability it's not going to appear anywhere in-game right?

You just put this code under which ever way you end up copying, and you get the naming done:

SAY NAME1 ~Summon Fairy Dragon~

SAY NAME2 ~Summon Fairy Dragon~

... not that it matters, other than the Special Ability'es have names when you click the star to get to them and then wait on top of the casting icon...for the name to pop up.

Okay, well, I recreated this and it works but I am getting a couple of errors. I'll show the errors at the end of the post.

But first, did I recreate everything correctly?:

1) Created SPINSFD.SPL by exporting SPIN115.SPL to the Override folder and saving it as SPINSFD. There I edited SPINSFD to change the summoned creature from a ghast to a fairy dragon; I also changed the spell icon to the .BAM for Find Familiar.

2) Created the PARDAFAM.BS script by exporting NONE.BS to "scripts," inserting the following code:

IF
    Global("SPINSFDAdded","LOCALS",0)
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        SetGlobal("SPINSFDAdded","LOCALS",1)
        AddSpecialAbility("SPINSFD") // Summon Fairy Dragon
END

and saving it as PARDAFAM.BS. I then complied it and refreshed the tree. However when I checked on it afterward it shows up like this:

IF
	Global("SPINSFDAdded","LOCALS",0)
THEN
	RESPONSE #100
		SetGlobal("SPINSFDAdded","LOCALS",1)
		AddSpecialAbility("SPINSFD") // No such index
END

i.e., with "no such index" commented.

3) Created the setup-pardasfd.tp2 by using an existing .tp2, editing it to insert the following code:

BACKUP ~pardasfd/backup~
AUTHOR ~Lemernis~

//README ~<filepath>.txt~
VERSION ~beta 1~

BEGIN ~Summon Fairy Dragon spell~  
COPY ~pardasfd/spinsfd.spl~ ~override/spinsfd.spl~
COPY ~pardasfd/char~ ~characters~
COPY ~pardasfd/pics~ ~portraits~

and of course saving it as setup-pardasfd.tp2.

4) Renamed a weidu.exe as setup-pardasfd.exe.

5) created a pardasfd mod folder that now has within it:

pardasfdfoldercontents_zps0793e7c6.png

And as for 00766, it looks like this:

00766foldercontents_zps524d749f.png

Sooo... the fairy dragon special ability does work with the script assigned to Parda. But when he casts it, on the feedback bar it states "Invalid: 34000." And I'm guessing that that is connected to "no such index" for PARDAFAM.BS.

Also, when testing it with a new game when I assigned the PARDAFAM script to Parda there is no message that "Parda has gained a new ability,"

And finally when running the installation here is the DEBUG file:

WeiDU v 23600 Log

C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\setup-pardasfd.exe
[./chitin.key] loaded, 495088 bytes
[./chitin.key] 73 BIFFs, 35212 resources
[.\weidu.conf] loaded, 17 bytes
[lang\de_de/dialog.tlk] loaded, 5179815 bytes
[lang\de_de/dialog.tlk] 34001 string entries
[lang\de_de/dialogF.tlk] loaded, 5149033 bytes
[lang\de_de/dialogF.tlk] 34001 string entries

Using lang\de_de/dialog.tlk and lang\de_de/dialogF.tlk
SETUP-PARDASFD.TP2  0  0 Installed

Install Component [Summon Fairy Dragon spell]?
[R]e-Install, [N]o Change or [U]ninstall or [Q]uit? 
Removing old installation of [Summon Fairy Dragon spell] first ...
uninstall: SETUP-PARDASFD.TP2 0
[pardasfd/backup/0/UNSETSTR.0] SET_STRING uninstall info not found
Will uninstall   3 files for [SETUP-PARDASFD.TP2] component 0.
  Restoring backed-up [pardasfd/backup/0/spinsfd.spl]
pardasfd/backup/0/spinsfd.spl copied to override/spinsfd.spl, 298 bytes
Unable to Unlink [characters/Bendalis.bio]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "characters/Bendalis.bio")
Unable to Unlink [portraits/BendalL.bmp]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "portraits/BendalL.bmp")
Uninstalled      3 files for [SETUP-PARDASFD.TP2] component 0.

SUCCESSFULLY REMOVED OLD [Summon Fairy Dragon spell]

Installing [Summon Fairy Dragon spell] [beta 1]
Copying and patching 1 file ...
[pardasfd/spinsfd.spl] loaded, 298 bytes
override/spinsfd.spl copied to pardasfd/backup/0/spinsfd.spl, 298 bytes
Copied [pardasfd/spinsfd.spl] to [override/spinsfd.spl]
Copying 1 file ...
[pardasfd/char/Bendalis.bio] loaded, 987 bytes
ERROR: COPY ~pardasfd/char/Bendalis.bio~ ~characters/Bendalis.bio~ FAILED: cannot open target
Copying 1 file ...
[pardasfd/pics/BendalL.bmp] loaded, 208614 bytes
ERROR: COPY ~pardasfd/pics/BendalL.bmp~ ~portraits/BendalL.bmp~ FAILED: cannot open target

Saving This Log:
SETUP-PARDASFD.TP2  0  0 Permanently_Uninstalled
SETUP-PARDASFD.TP2  0  0 Installed ~Summon Fairy Dragon spell~

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Summon Fairy Dragon spell

WeiDU Timings
OUTER_INNER_PATCH_SAVE           0.000
<<<<<<<<                         0.000
load TLK                         0.000
tp2 uninstall                    0.000
DEFINE_PATCH_FUNCTION            0.000
DEFINE_ACTION_FUNCTION           0.000
OUTER_SET                        0.000
INCLUDE                          0.000
BUT_ONLY                         0.000
find local string                0.000
parsing .log files               0.000
eval_pe                          0.000
DEFINE_ACTION_MACRO              0.000
OUTER_INNER_PATCH                0.000
READ_*                           0.000
saving files                     0.000
DEFINE_PATCH_MACRO               0.000
COPY                             0.000
process_patch2                   0.016
loading files                    0.016
Parsing TP2 files                0.031
unmarshal KEY                    0.047
stuff not covered elsewhere      0.063
Parsing TPA files                0.078
unmarshal TLK                    0.109
TOTAL                            0.359

I guess according to PARDAFAM.BS I need to add SPINSDF to the list of Global variables, right? If so, not sure how to do that...

You should compile the file in the weidu's .tp2 file. You just get the source(pardafam.baf file from the tool exported, or write it into a new .txt file that you rename as pardafam.baf), set it into the mod folder, and you use this .tp2 command:

COMPILE ~pardasfd/pardafam.baf~
COPY_EXISTING ~pardafam.bcs~ ~characters/pardafam.bs~
Note: The second line copies the product of the first line so it can be used as the custom script.

Also you don't need to have the "backup" folder in the mod archive/folder, the BACKUP .tp2 line makes it appear there... and if you keep it, make sure that it's empty before you upload the mod. :)

And no, I have no idea why the .bio's or .bmp's fail to fail to install, the only thing I came up was the install directory's location being protected by the Windows idiozity society. (Operation System, if it's Vista, 7 or 8, 8.1)...

Thanks. Btw, what is a .baf file? I see some .bafs associated with characters in my "characters" folder.

It's basically a text file that the weidu.exe and other tools can compile as a .bcs file ... if it's coded correctly and the game has the essential libraries.

The later part info is only needed if the compilation gives errors, and if you run into that, I'll show you the fix when you get the error, I'll also need .baf code to decipher the error.

Hmm, I exported pardafam.baf to the pardasfd mod folder, and added those two lines of code to the .tp2 file, but it failed to install. Here is the DEBUG file:

WeiDU v 23600 Log

C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\setup-pardasfd.exe
[./chitin.key] loaded, 495088 bytes
[./chitin.key] 73 BIFFs, 35212 resources
[.\weidu.conf] loaded, 17 bytes
[lang\de_de/dialog.tlk] loaded, 5179815 bytes
[lang\de_de/dialog.tlk] 34001 string entries
[lang\de_de/dialogF.tlk] loaded, 5149033 bytes
[lang\de_de/dialogF.tlk] 34001 string entries

Using lang\de_de/dialog.tlk and lang\de_de/dialogF.tlk

Install Component [Summon Fairy Dragon spell]?
[I]nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit? 
Installing [Summon Fairy Dragon spell] [beta 1]
Copying and patching 1 file ...
[pardasfd/spinsfd.spl] loaded, 298 bytes
override/spinsfd.spl copied to pardasfd/backup/0/spinsfd.spl, 298 bytes
Copied [pardasfd/spinsfd.spl] to [override/spinsfd.spl]
Copying 1 file ...
[pardasfd/char/Bendalis.bio] loaded, 987 bytes
ERROR: COPY ~pardasfd/char/Bendalis.bio~ ~characters/Bendalis.bio~ FAILED: cannot open target
Copying 1 file ...
[pardasfd/pics/BendalL.bmp] loaded, 208614 bytes
ERROR: COPY ~pardasfd/pics/BendalL.bmp~ ~portraits/BendalL.bmp~ FAILED: cannot open target
Compiling 1 script ...
BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./lang/de_de/DATA/DEFAULT.BIF]
BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./lang/en_us/DATA/DEFAULT.BIF]
BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./cache/DATA/DEFAULT.BIF]
[./DATA/DEFAULT.BIF] 6201616 bytes, 522 files, 0 tilesets
Processing 1 dialogues/scripts ...
Copying 1 file ...
[./override/pardafam.bcs] loaded, 373 bytes
ERROR: COPY ~pardafam.bcs~ ~characters/pardafam.bs~ FAILED: cannot open target
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Summon Fairy Dragon spell], rolling back to previous state
Unable to Unlink [pardasfd/backup/0/OTHER.0]: Unix.Unix_error(1, "unlink", "pardasfd/backup/0/OTHER.0")
[pardasfd/backup/0/UNSETSTR.0] SET_STRING uninstall info not found
Will uninstall   5 files for [SETUP-PARDASFD.TP2] component 0.
  Restoring backed-up [pardasfd/backup/0/spinsfd.spl]
pardasfd/backup/0/spinsfd.spl copied to override/spinsfd.spl, 298 bytes
Unable to Unlink [characters/Bendalis.bio]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "characters/Bendalis.bio")
Unable to Unlink [portraits/BendalL.bmp]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "portraits/BendalL.bmp")
Unable to Unlink [characters/pardafam.bs]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "characters/pardafam.bs")
Uninstalled      5 files for [SETUP-PARDASFD.TP2] component 0.
Unable to Unlink [pardasfd/backup/0/READLN.0]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "pardasfd/backup/0/READLN.0")
Unable to Unlink [pardasfd/backup/0/READLN.0.TEXT]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "pardasfd/backup/0/READLN.0.TEXT")
ERROR: Sys_error("characters/pardafam.bs: No such file or directory")
PLEASE email the file SETUP-PARDASFD.DEBUG to Lemernis

setup-pardasfd.tp2 looks like this:

BACKUP ~pardasfd/backup~
AUTHOR ~Lemernis~

//README ~<filepath>.txt~
VERSION ~beta 1~

BEGIN ~Summon Fairy Dragon spell~  
COPY ~pardasfd/spinsfd.spl~ ~override/spinsfd.spl~
COPY ~pardasfd/char~ ~characters~
COPY ~pardasfd/pics~ ~portraits~
COMPILE ~pardasfd/pardafam.baf~
COPY_EXISTING ~pardafam.bcs~ ~characters/pardafam.bs~

Did you first try to use this code:

ERROR: COPY ~pardafam.bcs~ ~characters/pardafam.bs~ ...

When you saved the file for the first time ? As in, without the COPY_EXISTING ... again, the only reason is that the Operation System protecting the file from changes.

I can't think of another reason why this would happen...

Really, you need to reinstall the game to anywhere else than in the Program File -sub-folders, so your Operation System can't interfere with the modifications you intent to make to the files.

Well to uninstall/reinstall the whole game would be a real hassle to go through if the problem still persists afterward...

It's Windows 8.1. Is there a way to make the OS to allow modifications to certain files types?

On that folder, no.

On Windows 8.1(and 8), the recommended install folder for all games is apparently the C:\Users\<user profile name>\<game folder name>\

So if your user name is "Lemernis", it would be; C:\Users\Lemernis\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\ . This will allow you to operate the files without restrictions... so note that when you make a Windows profile, make sure it doesn't contain special letters/marks cause some of them can cause a hell of a lot of problems, and that you stick to the normal letters.

Just wondering what folks think about this mod offering custom kitted versions for:

Karan - Priest of Oghma
Dreppin - Priest of Chauntea
Shistal - Priest of Denier

If so, what do you think the kits should consist of? I.e., what special abilities or tweaks to standard cleric abilities can you envision for those priestly specializations?

If so, what do you think the kits should consist of? I.e., what special abilities or tweaks to standard cleric abilities can you envision for those priestly specializations?

Well, just look what others have done, at the KitListZ_9.5.pdf:

Priest of Oghma (Prestige Kitpack)

Oghma, lord of knowledge and invention, curiosity promises fully knowledge to his priests. this priests are not the most 'magnificent' fighters, but they give helps everywhere... like knowledge itself.

Advantage:

Gains 2 additional lore per level.

Can use 'Alchemy' once per 8 levels.

Can use any items on level 20.

Disadvantage:

Must not be Chaotic.

Lorekeeper of Oghma (Divine Remix) - Needs Cleric Remix to be installed

Oghma is the god of knowledge and invention, the Binder of What is Known, and the Patron of Bards. He is the most powerful god of knowledge in the Realms (second if you consider magical ability as knowledge, with Mystra at its head). Deneir and Milil both act as intercessors for Oghma, carrying new information both to him and to those whom Oghma favors. Oghma's followers believe that knowledge is most supreme, particularly in its raw form, the idea. An idea has no weight but can move mountains. It has no height but it can dominate a nation. It has no mass but it can push aside empires. Knowledge is the greatest tool of humankind, outweighing anything made by mortal hands. Before anything can exist, the idea must exist.

Lorekeepers of Oghma can be of any race and alignment.

Abilities:

Spiritual Weapon: Longsword - 'Mortal Strike' once per day

The longsword is the spiritual weapon of Lorekeepers of Oghma, and is wielded as if the caster had grand mastery in the weapon. The sword is a regular weapon at levels 1-5, +1

at levels 6-10, +2 at 11-15, +3 at 16-20, +4 at 21-25, and +5 at levels 26 and above. The spiritual weapon lasts for one round per level of the caster, up to 20 rounds.

Gain a base of 10 lore/level.

From level 7 can cast Secret Word once per day, as fourth level mage spell of the same name

From level 9 can cast Oracle once per day, as fifth level mage spell of the same name

From level 11 can cast Power Word: Silence once per day, as sixth level mage spell of the same name

From level 14 can cast Ruby Ray of Reversal once per day, as seventh level mage spell of the same name

Sphere access:

Major access to the spheres of all, astral, combat, charm,divination, elemental, guardian,

healing, protection, summoning, thought and travel

Minor access to the spheres of animals, creation, necromantic, sun and wards

No access to the spheres of chaos, law, numbers, plant, time, war and weather

Priest of Cathoun (Ashes of Embers)

The Priests of Cathoun are well respected throughout the world for their impartial, yet fair decisions. When people have a disagreement to be settled, they often go to a Cathounite to help

them come to a decision, because their rulings are known for being fair and just. They promote trade by sending delegations to various nations and acting as middle men for the

negotiations. Although rarely seen in combat, their orders focus instead on healing and other such ways of aiding others. Of course, mortals are not as perfect as the gods and there are occurrences when a truly selfish

person gains a position of power under Cathoun. They use and abuse the trust their position inspires for their own selfish gains. Wealth and comfort are usually what these types seek.

Advantages:

Gains Friends (level 1), Charm Person (level 2), Dire Charm (level 3), Double Strength

Bless (level 3) and Double Strength Chant (level 4)

Disadvantages:

-1 HP per level

+1 AC Penalty

Cannot put points in any fighting style

Must not be Chaotic

Priest of Deneir (Region of Terror) - Needs RoT to be installed

Deneir is the neutral god of wisdom and illusions. His servants can cast some illusion spells and can evade magical attacks with more success than other priests.

Advantages:

Can use Invisibility, Improved Invisibility and Invisibility 10' Radius

Gets -4 to all Saving Throws

Disadvantages:

None

Those are just what's done already. Now of course those mods are not installed on everyone and the Divine Remix is a bad mod anyways, especially to what comes to Enhanced Edition etc, but you are free to use all that you want out of it. And edit it the hell out. But you might just make a light variant of the kit like the first Priest of Oghma is, as the later mods add a lot of changes that other mods are not really compatible with and that should be a priority to what comes with the mods intended audience.

Or you could just make a compromise and add a special ability while keeping the NPC a kit less. It's the most compatible solution.

Archived