BG2 status

nerdy

Hi guys,

I know there are topics about current games status and that most of them are "playable", but I'd like to have precisions. I gather BG2 works best with gemrb atm. Exactly what is different from the original game as of 0.8.1 ? What kind of bugs am I likely to encounter ?

And a sidequestion, are gemrb saves backwards-compatible?

Thanks

eh, there is plenty that is different, but I dont think there are any known (game breaking) bugs with the main quest line (if you build from git).

overall there are some unimplemented effects/animations and other noticeable, but unimportant, graphical differences. Aside from that mostly not bugs, but rather unimplemented features or just things gemrb does purposely different.

unfortunately, it appears that gemrb BG2 saves wont load in the original anymore. They used to, and certainly should, but nobody has bothered to figure out what happened there yet. Feel free to examine saves from each in an editor and let us know the differences and we will fix it (probably a simple data ordering issue or some simple garbage).

Thank you for the quick answer SE, I actually meant saves from older gemrb versions, but I'm pretty sure its all fine. I believe I gave this project a try when it was around 0.6 or something, will give it another go now that I know what to expect. I'll also report any bugs I find obvisouly. Are you recommending the git version rather than stable?

edit: what about BG1, is it working as well as 2?

This project is awesome :thumbsup:

bg1 is a much simpler game, so it should always work better. However, most shared development is done on bg2, so bg1 receives a bit less testing.

gameplay wise the differences are mainly bugs like some disabling effects not being reliable and our improvements like easier looting.

Don't know if this info is relevant (maybe not for Android?), but if by "original" you mean the PC version of the game, I can load BG2 GemRB saved games into the original and they play fine. I can go back and forth with no issues. I have needed to do this in a few places where I encountered a bug in the GemRB game.

I am using Android version 0.8.0 and BG2 running on Windows 7.

"unfortunately, it appears that gemrb BG2 saves wont load in the original anymore."

GemRB saves won't load in the original 2000 version of BG2, that is a matter of what code is used to create the save game files. You would compare the known Gem code for creating saves with the code of the original game.

Original game's code can be guessed from IESDP. Beamdog may give you the file formats if he has not done so already.

Archived