Some BG2 areas are marked as 'EXTENDEDNIGHT'

Lu_

I've just found out that AR2800 (Suldanesselar) and a couple others are have 'EXTENDEDNIGHT' checked, which surprises me

I've always thought that this check is only valid on Icewind Dale engine. IIRC, I once tried to leave this field checked when converting IWD areas to BG2, and that caused the game to crash. Am I missing something?

The "Extended Night" flag enables a separate night map to be displayed for that area. You need to provide resources for the night version of the map (WED, TIS, MOS and light map BMP).

It uses the suffix 'N' for the WED, TIS and MOS filenames, and 'LN' instead of 'LM' for the light bitmap. Example: For map AR2800, you have to provide AR2800N.WED, AR2800N.TIS, AR2800N.MOS and AR2800LN.BMP in addition to the resources required for the day map. If the game doesn't find any of these resources, it will crash.

I wonder why BG needs the night WED though. For TIS, MOS, and light BMP, it's obvious. But why the WED?

Well, what happens if "they shut down the fountain" during the night... yep, the .web controls the overlays, and part of that is the torch animations etc.

Archived