Near Infinity: tutorial?

Salk

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good tutorial for Near Infinity?

I am looking at one .spl file introduced by a mod whose effect is to raise Maximum Hit Points. In the field Duration it has a value of 10 and in the field Dice size/Minimum level a -1. I would expect those to be both 0 instead.

Can someone tell me what they do?

Thanks!

Can someone tell me what they do?

Usually most of this stuff is enough illogical ... like in this case, it's very likely that the duration field(feature blocks offset 0x000e) for example doesn't matter cause the time mode(feature blocks offset 0x000c) is not zero, as in set to duration.

The dice size and minlevel all depend on the opcode heavily, likely in this case again it's set to a default as again, as it doesn't matter.

Ouh, and before you ask, yes the Near Infinity is just a nicely out fitted hex editor...

Unfortunately I don't have enough time to write a tutorial, but I'd like to see one as well. Since NI provides access to the game resources on a very low level, IESDP helps a lot to understand the individual fields and structures. You can enable the offset column via menu Options->Show Hex Offsets to quickly find the field offsets in the IESDP descriptions.

Regarding certain field values in effect structures. A lot of resources appear to have garbage/unused data in fields that are only used in specific opcode configurations. This is especially apparent for the resource field which is only used by a couple of effect opcodes. In your case of the maximum HP modifier (opcode 18?), IESDP states that it allows negative modifiers. So a negative dice size would probably reduce the max. HP for the specified duration (it doesn't matter though if one of the dice fields is 0).

I've split off some of the earlier posts into separate topics because they dealt with separate issues. I'd recommend opening new topics for each issue, because you may get a different audience depending on whether you are asking questions about NearInfinity, IE scripting, or familiars.

Archived