How to install Bg2 from hard disk without "insert cd 1" on 95%?

Greenhorn

So, I decided to play Epic endeavours Tc after a long break from Baldur's gate saga. But unfortunately my BG 2 CDs are in very poor condition ( almost 15 years old ) and my CD drive is dead. I have all 5 SoA and ToB CDs + some promo extra stuff on 6th cd on my hard drive but whenever I try to run it I get stuck on 95%. Sure, I can try to download some hacked stuff on internet and/or use DAEMON tool but I would rather find possible workaround for this problem if it exist.

Well, if you have the EpicE Total Conversion moded game still in your hard drive, you should be able to restore the game from the ToB backup in here, it should require you to only copy the game folder to a new folder and thus also all the other files, after you then go to the new folder and delete the override folder, the dialog.tlk and chitin.key files and remove the mod folders from there, you unpack that archive to that folder, and then make sure the baldur.ini then has the correct info by opening the file with Notepad and scolling down to the [Alias] -section, where you need to set the paths go to the new folder. And then run the game from the BGMain.exe ... not the baldur.exe file, as that runs the windows register linked front end program that then runs the old game from the register info... after that you can re-mod the new folders game if it runs correctly.

By the way, even if you had installed the SoA successfully, you would have had to uninstall the ToB game before you could reinstall it into the new folder... it leaves Windows Resister entry that prevents multiple installs, but my way doesn't actually use or add the register entry, so... :p ... you can have all the TCs installed to various folder, have a 10 different setups for vanilla BG2 games moded to various decrees and then have BWS megamoded game as well. :devlook:

Also it would be wise to have the whole game folder backed up into a .rar archive, as it happens to be faster to extract than copying the game folder... and it takes a tiny bit less space.

Now the Epic E mod is likely to have left a few extra .bif files to the data folder that the new game doesn't need, but I would need to see the content to identify what of those you can remove. But it's just extra data you don't need to get rid off if you don't want to.

Unfortunately no, I have EE mod ( weidu 1.0.5 ) in rar archive, but of Soa and ToB I only have contents of all 5 CDs copied to one folder. From there I tried to install it but I get stuck because install process ask to insert CD1 at 95% which I can't. Can I cheat it somehow? I don't have SoA and ToB installed at all, I don't try to make multi install, just trying to install fresh game from game CDs copied to hard drive. If you explained to me how to do it, I'm sorry , but I didn't get it. Bear in mind that you are dealing with dummy with limited knowledge of english.

If you have the CD1, you can reinsert it, can't you ? Yes, it request you to reinsert it. If you have the CDs in CD images, just make sure that before you click continue that the computer itself reads the inserted CD to be the CD1. Nope, there is not really a way around that ... it doesn't request the ToB CD, but the SoA CD1... which at that point you should already have had in the CD drive(for a full install).

Bear in mind that you are dealing with dummy with limited knowledge of english.

One of those I am... yes, that was a Yoda quote, but also a reference that I am not a English native user either.

That was a Yoda quote?! Wise I am ( old proverb tell, the dumbest peasants grow biggest potatoes).

One of those I am... yes, that was a Yoda quote, but also a reference that I am not a English native user either.

No disrespect intended my good imp, I consider you one of the pillars of the of the gaming community. :)

But about my problem, no, I can't insert or burn CDs, my cd/dvd rom drive is dead. But after a little tinkering I think that I managed to solve problem, when game asked me to insert cd1 on 95% I refused to cancel installation, instead gone to Window task manager, shut the process Kernel ( or something like that ) and all data and folders from installation remained in my game folder, then installed ToB and no cd patch, hopefully I didn't broke anything ( cross fingers ).

But about my problem, no, I can't insert or burn CDs, my cd/dvd rom drive is dead. But after a little tinkering I think that I managed to solve problem, when game asked me to insert cd1 on 95% I refused to cancel installation, instead gone to Window task manager, shut the process Kernel ( or something like that ) and all data and folders from installation remained in my game folder, then installed ToB and no cd patch, hopefully I didn't broke anything ( cross fingers ).

Don't try it, you can't uninstall SoA anymore unless you erase registration entries manually, very tedious and taxing.

Archived