Are Icewind Dale maps compatible?

Belanos

I'm developing an itch for modding in BG1 Tutu, I see a number of areas that could use some additions. But since I'm not really an artist, it would be nice if I could just pilfer some of the dungeon/cave maps from either of the Icewind Dale games. Is this possible, or are they a different format?

Also, is it possible to have a key encounter be placed in a random location?What I'm thinking of in particular is the battle with Mulahey, or whatever his name is, in the Nashkel mines. There's three mine shaft entrances on the surface. If each of those shafts were in use, possibly just copying the existing layout or using the graphics from the other mine further north, could I have Mulahey's hideout appear randomly in any of the three or would I have to place it in a fixed location?

If you are using IETME, you can get them to work using the following method:

- Set IETME to use the IWD1 game.

- Extract your area.

- Set IETME to use the BG2 game.

- Re-save the area.

You have to make sure to remove resources that aren't in BG2 - for example creatures on the map and ambient sounds that play. Otherwise it'll crash. :)

I'm not sure about the random area part.

- Extract your area.

- Re-save the area.

You have to make sure to remove resources that aren't in BG2 - for example creatures on the map and ambient sounds that play. Otherwise it'll crash. :)

I have DLTC Edit Pro, would that work as well? If not, where do I get IETME? And what about spawn points, would I be able to leave those in there and just change the creatures that are spawned?

IETME is currently over at clandlan.net, I think.

DLTCEP should accomplish the same though - set DLTCEP up to read the IWD game-files, open the .are, change the version type, and save the area.

As Andyr says, you'll need to make sure to remove any references to creatures, sounds, animations etc, as this may not exist in BG1, and so would cause a crash.

IETME is currently over at clandlan.net, I think.

DLTCEP should accomplish the same though - set DLTCEP up to read the IWD game-files, open the .are, change the version type, and save the area.

As Andyr says, you'll need to make sure to remove any references to creatures, sounds, animations etc, as this may not exist in BG1, and so would cause a crash.

Tutu does use the BG2 stuff, right? At least some of the IWD1 avatars are in the BG2 game files.

Yeh, Tutu uses the BG2 stuff. But it's things like references to ambient sounds playing in the area in IWD1, or creatures that can appear in spawns in IWD1, that will cause problems if not removed because the files don't exist in other games.

Guest Guest_Vlad_*

- Extract your area.

- Re-save the area.

You have to make sure to remove resources that aren't in BG2 - for example creatures on the map and ambient sounds that play. Otherwise it'll crash.

Please don't extract maps with IETME!!! DLTCEP is the only program which can handle extracting areas correctly.

Please don't extract maps with IETME!!! DLTCEP is the only program which can handle extracting areas correctly.

I'm not sure how that can be done, please enlighten me. If I have a map selected, I can't change my game format since that option isn't accessible while another window is open, as far as I know. So I'd have to save the file first. Would I then change the format, reload it and save it again?

- Extract your area.

- Re-save the area.

You have to make sure to remove resources that aren't in BG2 - for example creatures on the map and ambient sounds that play. Otherwise it'll crash.

Oh, I didn't know... I don't use DLTCEP, haven't got round to learning the interface. :) What problems arise from IETME? It has worked for me in the past.

Guest Guest_Vlad_*

- Extract your area.

- Re-save the area.

Oh, I didn't know... I don't use DLTCEP, haven't got round to learning the interface. :) What problems arise from IETME? It has worked for me in the past.

IETME damages overlays (door overlays) in extracted areas. WinBIFF damages headers, only DLTCEP extracts without problems. It's my long long experience dealing with this kind of problems. I have posted this in details including screenshots at the former TeamBG forums boards. So believe me the best way to get IWD areas working imported correctly with minimum efforts is to use DLTCEP for this purpose.

Archived