SR Revised V1.3.900 (2022 August 8th)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Guest FallenAngel said:

I've since started Icewind Dale and decided against including SCS, since I absolutely had to have the Icewind Dale NPCs, as well as a UI mod and a spell menu mod (which in turn necessitated another mod to work), by which point I was afraid I was already reaching too many mods to keep the install (and order) stable (pobably laughable to people who run with dozens of mods, but it's only my second modded game, third if you count the two Black Pits modules seperately).
Hopefully, the mod companions (being naturally much weaker than a twinked out seld-made party), setting the difficulty to Insane and deactivating Bonus XP from difficulty will do enough to provide some challenge.
Using SR 4.19RC5 with SRR v1.3.956

From what I've noticed so far (being right at the beginning still), the party's Paladin companion has two Detect Evil abilities. Probably because BG Paladins get to cast it 4 + (once per level past 1st) times per day and IWD Paladins get to cast it once per round (so basically infinite).
The "BG" Detect Evil has no description (the description screen when right clicking is empty) and disappears after a single cast. It shows evil creatures in the log, but does not highlight them with a visual effect.
The "IWD" Detect Evil has its proper description, can be cast properly (indefinitely) and has its proper visual effect (highlighting eligible targets with a red glow).
Inspecting the Paladin with EEKeeper, his innate abilities show SPCL109 & SPCL212 as Detect Evil. Removing SPCL212 gets rid of the faulty version (even though googling tells me 212 is the IWD version...I don't know ^ ^;).

My Ranger companion on the other hand seems to have Bhaalspawn abilities for some reason. Besides the intended for IWD Charm Animal and Tracking, he's got Cure Wounds, Slow Poison, Draw Upon Holy Might and Vampiric Touch. All of which I removed with EEKeeper.

I installed the NPC mod before SR(R) as recommended in the install order, but when installing SR(R) the component for updating joinable NPC spellbooks did not install (claiming it is for BG2 engine games only), so I guess that may have something to do with it?

A minor weird thing is that the first time I started the game and cast Mage Armor on my main character, he had the Stoneskin visual on him for the duration. On subsequent starts I could not replicate this, Mage Armor now has no visual effect at all.

Thanks for the report:

1. Bhaalspawn ability resources will no longer be installed on IWDEE games. These didn't look to be resources occupied by anything on a vanilla IWDEE install anyways, but if the game is inexplicably adding them to your characters when they do exist, then I might as well just make sure they're not installed.
  2. SPCL212 is supposed to be Protection from Evil in IWD, not Detect Evil. It will no longer be installed for IWDEE games.
  3. A note here about SRR's innate abilities: these are not always given full descriptions, as descriptions were not ever visible for innate abilities pre-EEs. In the case of base class abilities, I should probably make an effort at some point to include them.
  4. I've looked for other similar erroneous overwrites, and I have identified a few BG1 NPC abilities that are problematic (e.g. Safana's Charm Person ability will overwrite IWDEE's Eye of the Sword). Like the previous Bhaalspawn abilities, these all have now been disabled from being installed wholesale for IWDEE games. I don't see any other problematic innate/class abilities, but I could be wrong.
  5. Couldn't confirm the "Mage Armor causes Stoneskin visual" bug, I'm afraid: the normal graphic seemed to play just fine for me.
  6. I'm not familiar with the NPC mod, but with the way that the spellbook-fixing component is coded, I don't really see any reason that the component shouldn't work for IWDEE. Although just because I don't currently see why it wouldn't, doesn't mean I'm right. I tested its installation on a vanilla IWDEE game and it essentially did nothing, but that's because on a vanilla IWDEE game, there aren't any party members for it to edit. I've opened it up to IWDEE games in the very latest repository version for the time being - if you ever test it and it's horribly broken, be sure to let me know, but I think it should be perfectly fine.

Again, thank you for the testing and detailed feedback!

Edited by Bartimaeus
Guest FallenAngel

I redid my install (was pretty much still at the beginning, might as well) with the newest master and I can confirm that the Bhaalspawn abilities are gone and the NPC Spellbook component does install now.

The Paladin now has 2 seemingly identical versions of the Protection from Evil ability instead.

From scanning the companions spellbooks (after using EEKeeper to give everyone 100k XP) the Fighter/Druid has 2 identical versions of Resist Elements at 2nd level, Summon Lizardmen and Summon Trolls at 3rd level (which both use the icon for Monster Summoning 1 only in green). Level 4 has Polymorph Other which I think shouldn't be there?
Haven't checked higher levels yet since that's where 100k got me and obviously couldn't really check the arcane casters at all that way.

Oh and the NPC mod is the one from Kulyok, if that helps. (https://www.pocketplane.net/icewind-dale-npcs/).

8 hours ago, Guest FallenAngel said:

The Paladin now has 2 seemingly identical versions of the Protection from Evil ability instead.

I installed the NPC mod you linked: are you seeing it on that mod's Holvir NPC? Because I installed that mod without SR at all and that's what his innate abilities look like to start with, whereas the Undead Hunter that the game starts you with and a self-made paladin that I created both looked right when SRR is installed.

8 hours ago, Guest FallenAngel said:

Level 4 has Polymorph Other which I think shouldn't be there?
Haven't checked higher levels yet since that's where 100k got me and obviously couldn't really check the arcane casters at all that way.

Druids are supposed to have Polymorph Other at 4th level, yeah. The double Resist Element, not so much. The question with the summoning spells is whether or not SR's Animal Summoning spells should overwrite them or if they should just co-exist to make sure there aren't any issues.

Guest FallenAngel
7 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I installed the NPC mod you linked: are you seeing it on that mod's Holvir NPC? Because I installed that mod without SR at all and that's what his innate abilities look like to start with, whereas the Undead Hunter that the game starts you with and a self-made paladin that I created both looked right when SRR is installed.

Yeah, I was referring to Holvir. So this is an issue specific to the mod NPC? Should have probably installed just the NPC mod and checked the companions first before installing SRR and assuming things.

Druids are supposed to have Polymorph Other at 4th level, yeah. The double Resist Element, not so much. The question with the summoning spells is whether or not SR's Animal Summoning spells should overwrite them or if they should just co-exist to make sure there aren't any issues.

I was using GameBanshee in tandem with the web-based SR spell reference (which doesn't have Polymorph Other on the Divine list) to cross-check the spells. Should have gone with the up to date github .tra files even though they're less handy to navigate. Druids having Polymorph Other makes sense anyway.

"Summon Lizardmen" and "Summon Trolls" shouldn't be there though?. Can't find either of these in SRRs .tra files or on GameBanshee and Google only spits out an IWD Wiki entry of the Yuan-ti High Summoner who apparently has both of these as monster only abilities.

Might just be another quirk of the mod NPCs (Nella, as Fighter/Druid in this case) for all I know though...I guess I really gotta test with just the NPCs installed and bump em all to max level.

4 hours ago, Guest FallenAngel said:

"Summon Lizardmen" and "Summon Trolls" shouldn't be there though?. Can't find either of these in SRRs .tra files or on GameBanshee and Google only spits out an IWD Wiki entry of the Yuan-ti High Summoner who apparently has both of these as monster only abilities.

They're not SR/R spells, no, but there are other spells in IWD that are also not touched by SR/R either, and more what I question is whether SRR can safely overwrite those summoning spells without issue.

I was using GameBanshee in tandem with the web-based SR spell reference (which doesn't have Polymorph Other on the Divine list) to cross-check the spells. Should have gone with the up to date github .tra files even though they're less handy to navigate. Druids having Polymorph Other makes sense anyway.

Polymorph Other was added to druid spellbooks by SR, but I believe SR actually has it as a 5th level spell, whereas I moved it down to 4th level for SRR because I felt it didn't adequately compete at 5th level. Though given the dearth of offensive spells at 5th level for druids, maybe it would've just been better to just fiddle with the numbers instead.

Yeah, I was referring to Holvir. So this is an issue specific to the mod NPC? Should have probably installed just the NPC mod and checked the companions first before installing SRR and assuming things.

From what I could tell, yes. I installed only that NPC mod, and Holvir came with two different versions of Protection from Evil.

"To install this, you must extract the latest official version of SR V4 (b18 or anything later should be fine!) to your game directory as you would normally (or have an automated tool do it for you), and then additionally extract this mod on top of it before installing SR. Specifically, SRR's spell_rev folder should overwrite the normal spell_rev folder - confirm to overwrite folders as well as all files it asks you to..."

@Bartimaeus

Releases · Gibberlings3/SpellRevisions (github.com)

hi

the original "spell revision" is only distributed through .exe or source-code archive format on github now, and "spell revision revised" is also distributed via source-code packs as "("repo master")..

if i have understood the instructions on "spell revision revised" correctly, do i simply overwrite the extracted  source-code folder of original Spell Revision with SRR's extracted source code pack, and then run the new exe "setup-spell_rev.exe" that's been modded by this revision mod to install?

if i want to automate the process with project infinity, do i basically extract first the original spell revision mod from source-code pack into a folder, and then revision revised  to overwrite that folder, then move the resultant folder into the mod directory of Project infinity as usual? 

should i use distributed .exe instead to extract the original spell revision instead of downloading the "source-code" package on that is listed alongside it in releases on github?

also does the version of the original spell revision used as base matter? is " Version 4.19, Release Candidate 5" better than just "version 4, beta 18"?

Edited by jacklhoward
6 hours ago, jacklhoward said:

"To install this, you must extract the latest official version of SR V4 (b18 or anything later should be fine!) to your game directory as you would normally (or have an automated tool do it for you), and then additionally extract this mod on top of it before installing SR. Specifically, SRR's spell_rev folder should overwrite the normal spell_rev folder - confirm to overwrite folders as well as all files it asks you to..."

@Bartimaeus

Releases · Gibberlings3/SpellRevisions (github.com)

hi

the original "spell revision" is only distributed through .exe or source-code archive format on github now, and "spell revision revised" is also distributed via source-code packs as "("repo master")..

if i have understood the instructions on "spell revision revised" correctly, do i simply overwrite the extracted  source-code folder of original Spell Revision with SRR's extracted source code pack, and then run the new exe "setup-spell_rev.exe" that's been modded by this revision mod to install?

if i want to automate the process with project infinity, do i basically extract first the original spell revision mod from source-code pack into a folder, and then revision revised  to overwrite that folder, then move the resultant folder into the mod directory of Project infinity as usual? 

should i use distributed .exe instead to extract the original spell revision instead of downloading the "source-code" package on that is listed alongside it in releases on github?

also does the version of the original spell revision used as base matter? is " Version 4.19, Release Candidate 5" better than just "version 4, beta 18"?

Yes. When you "install"/extract the distributed .exe to your game directory, it'll create a "setup-spell_rev.exe" and "spell_rev" folder in your game directory. The idea with SRR is to overwrite that .exe and folder with SRR's own (keeping whatever files SRR hasn't modified but overwriting the ones that it has modified), which yes, should theoretically also allow you to use an automated installer to install the same components as you would for an SR install.

The version of SR used as the base does not matter, as all relevant files are overwritten anyways (assuming that it's beta 18 or later).

Edited by Bartimaeus