Calin Overview and Faq

Kitanna

Let me introduce to you a new NPC called Calin for Baldur's Gate II. Calin is a Neutral Good Blade Master.

He's 26 years old, easy going and not really looking to start adventuring again. But he is more than willing to help the protagonist, even if you don't want his help right away. As long as your not rude to him.

There are romance and friendship tracks for the protagonist.

Calin will romance female protagonists who are human, half-elven or elven as long as they are not evil or thieve's.

Will TOB be required to play the mod?

This mod is designed to work with Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn with or without the Throne of Bhaal expansion pack and with the Enhanced Edition of Baldur's Gate II. The mod should be compatible with other WeiDU mods.

Will I have to start a new game?
Sorry, I know people hate that but, yes. The way it was written, it won't make any sense if you don't. Unless you already have a save before leaving Chateau Irenicus. Calin shows up right after the cut scene.

Why won't Calin romance my thief? That doesn't seem fair.
Calin has some deep and legitimate reasons for that but, don't lose hope! If you say the right things, and are willing to make a sacrifice of sorts, he will realize not all thieves are so bad and a romance will happen.

Does Calin have any quests?
No. I wanted an NPC who offers to help the protagonist because he doesn't like what he sees in the Promenade and feels it's the right thing to do.

If I kick him out of the party, can I get him back?
Certainly. He won't just wait around somewhere since he lives in Atkathla, but he will tell you where and how to find him.

Edited by Kitanna
Guest Respite
On 10/3/2022 at 12:09 PM, xscott71x said:

Can you update the FAQ with the the mechanics of Calin's innate abilities?

Seconded. I'm embarrassed to say I still don't know what the Blade Master class/kit entails.

Calin uses this Blade Master kit from the SP Collection:

BLADE MASTER: The Blade Master uses one-handed bladed weapons, but he can do many things with them that the regular fighter cannot. He gains many special abilities using his blades, but he can only wear very light armor. Only one innate ability may be active at any given moment.

Advantages:
- +2 to dexterity
- +10% to slashing and piercing resistance
- Gains Precision Strike ability at levels 4, 7 and 22. Grants a +3 THAC0 bonus for three rounds, does 1d10 damage to target, and has a 25% chance to stun target.
- Gains Parry ability at levels 7, 10 and 22. Parry grants virtual immunity to physical attacks for two rounds.
- Gains Counter Attack ability at levels 10, 13 and 22. Grants virtual immunity to physical attacks for one round and does 2d10 of damage to attacker.
- Gains Disarm ability at levels 13, 16 and 22. Has a 50% chance to make opponent drop their weapon.
- Gains Feint ability at levels 16, 19 and 22. Feint grants Invisibility and Non-Detection for one round.
- Gains Swift Strike ability at levels 19 and 22. Decreases weapon speed by 2, adds an extra attack, a +5 THAC0 bonus and a -2 Armor Class penalty for two rounds.
- Gains extra one-half attack at levels 11, 15 and 19

Disadvantages:
- Penalty of -2 to strength
- Can only wear armor up to Studded Leather
- Cannot have proficiency in any non-bladed weapon