Dispel/Resistance

I'm in the process of creating my first mod, Corrected spell descriptions, and it looks like the IESDP can be very handy to find useful information. It looks like many of the original spell descriptions miss information about whether each spell is dispellable and whether it bypasses magic resistance, so I'm using NI and IESDP to find this information. With some spells a quick look at NI is enough, but sometimes it's trickier.

Right now I'm checking Aura of Despair (SPCL103). Most of its effects are Dispel/Not bypass resistance, so that's easy. However, the effect "Remove effects by resource" is Natural/Nonmagical. The funny thing is that it looks like this effect would cancel the whole spell, because it removes Aura of Despair itself, but that doesn't seem to make sense. So what does this effect do? And does it affect the "dispellability" and the MR bypassing of the spell?

Remove effects by resource opcode with the name of the spell in resource field, when placed before other effects, is meant to clean out all effects previously applied by that spell (in order to make them not stack or to reset duration).

Edited by K4thos

In my installation Remove effects by resource appears in NI as the penultimate effect in the list. The only effect that comes later is THAC0 bonus. So following this idea it looks like only THAC0 bonus should apply, the other effects should be removed. But I believe that's not what actually happens.

Ah, I don't have that handy. I believe NI lists the effects in order, since anything else would be quite silly. So I'd check if any mods modified the spell (though in my experience weidu --change-log is not reliable).