Errors Installing/Uninstalling Mods

I am running Windows 10 and have Baldur's Gate I only, through Steam.  

I tried to install the current versions of Sword Coast Stratagems and the BG1 NPC Project, and for both got the following error:

FATAL ERROR: Sys_error(".\\lang\\en_us\\dialog.tlk: Permission denied")

When I opened a game file, dialogue options were screwed up and all choices were "Invalid(#####)".

Is there something I can do to get the mods to install correctly?

Well, first of all, is this a BG2 or BG1 game, you need to first run the game before you install mods to choose a language in game... and specifically if it's a BG1 + SoD, you need the modmerger(yes the blue text is a link to its beamdog forum thread). And here's the github page.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
Guest BelacRLJ

It’s BG1, without SoD.  I had run the game and chosen languages prior to installing mods.

Should I try using modmerger anyway?  The error message arose after installing the first mod and after uninstalling each, so I’m also not sure it’s responsible for the corrupted dialogue options. 

Just now, Guest BelacRLJ said:

It’s BG1, without SoD.  I had run the game and chosen languages prior to installing mods.

Should I try using modmerger anyway?  The error message arose after installing the first mod and after uninstalling each, so I’m also not sure it’s responsible for the corrupted dialogue options. 

If it's without SoD, you don't need to install modmerge DLCMerger, follow second advise, move games outside of the C:\Program Files\ (and make sure game isn't run when you install mods)

23 minutes ago, AL|EN said:

If it's without SoD, you don't need to install modmerge DLCMerger, follow second advise, move games outside of the C:\Program Files\

Specifically, you need to make sure that you own the folder you install the game into, in a modern Windows 10 for example, this is here:

C:\Users\<user profile>\Games - or any other subfolder\BG1EE\ -for example, where the <user profile> is the username you use to log into the computer, as that's the only folders your computer recognizes as your "own" in the C -drive.

On updated Windows 7, the structure is same, but usually people also add in the Documents folder for ease of use, so you end up with:

C:\Users\<user profile>\Documents\Games\BG1EE\ ...

@AL|EN, I'll try... in the future. I don't use Steam, so..

Edited by Jarno Mikkola