Bug Reports and Typos for v1.0.1

On 9/8/2023 at 11:30 PM, Daxtreme said:

edit: by the way, how did you like the ambush in ToB? Did you think it was challenging enough?

Honestly, not really challenging. The surprise effect worked well, but non-magic-users were quickly dispatched, and as I remember, Zallanera was not casting anything too problematic. She seemed to me far weaker than Layene for example (for information, I use SCS on hardcore, with casting before battle for mages on tactical and use of HLA for mages on insane). It's fair to say I didn't feel from the gameplay that she was supposed to be very powerful.

Edited by Nehreis

Hi Daxtreme,

Yes, I teleported out using the console just fine!

It's so crazy, because the last time I played, I was literally in the Pocket Plane right after completing the quest. This morning, I had read about the issue that Nehreis had and fired up my game to see if the same thing had happened to me and lo and behold, it had. It was a quick fix, though!

I really enjoyed the mod! Its surprise elements, scale, and characters were awesome; definitely has become a staple of my runs. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Granger77 said:

Hi Daxtreme,

Yes, I teleported out using the console just fine!

It's so crazy, because the last time I played, I was literally in the Pocket Plane right after completing the quest. This morning, I had read about the issue that Nehreis had and fired up my game to see if the same thing had happened to me and lo and behold, it had. It was a quick fix, though!

I really enjoyed the mod! Its surprise elements, scale, and characters were awesome; definitely has become a staple of my runs. Thank you!

That's very kind of you, thank you very much! Not a lot of people take the time to leave feedback so much appreciated. I'm leaving for Poland today so I won't be able to fix it soon (no computer for a while), but at least you made it out okay. Anyone who mods extensively knows how to use the console so that's nice but still, I'd like for this not to be a problem in future playthroughs.

The mod does exactly what I set out to do: deepen the lore behind Cowled Wizards and the Twisted Rune. It isn't very long, doesn't have a lot of content, but I think it's just in the right places, and sprinkled throughout BG1, BG2, and ToB.

3 hours ago, Nehreis said:

Honestly, not really challenging. The surprise effect worked well, but non-magic-users were quickly dispatched, and as I remember, Zallanera was not casting anything too problematic. She seemed to me far weaker than Layene for example (for information, I use SCS on hardcore, with casting before battle for mages on tactical and use of HLA for mages on insane). It's fair to say I didn't feel from the gameplay that she was supposed to be very powerful.

Ah that's fair. I'm not sure exactly how SCS affects Zallanora so perhaps she doesn't get the best scripts. It's been a while since I tested SCS, and I never tested it on hardcore.

Edited by Daxtreme
#3010 // Use pre-EE Spell Deflection Globe (EE only) -> Only for Spell Trap: 1.0.1

The visual effect doesn't end with the spell trap's duration. This applies to SPWI902.SPL and STAF11.SPL.

Can be semi-fixed in an existing installation by removing "Play visual effect (215)" (hint: resource: DX#STRAP.VVC) from the above SPLs and affected characters in saved games with Near Infinity. This restores the default behavior without the need to uninstall the mod component.

For mod component 3020, this applies to spwi902.spl, spwi318.spl, spwi618.spl, staf11.spl, and  spin710.spl (taken directly from the TP2).

EDIT: Although I'd prefer a properly working solution, because I don't like the default behavior, where multiple spells with different gameplay effects share the same visual effect. This of course also applies to other spells and items, in general.

Edited by Lurker
3 hours ago, Lurker said:
#3010 // Use pre-EE Spell Deflection Globe (EE only) -> Only for Spell Trap: 1.0.1

The visual effect doesn't end with the spell trap's duration. This applies to SPWI902.SPL and STAF11.SPL.

Can be semi-fixed in an existing installation by removing "Play visual effect (215)" (hint: resource: DX#STRAP.VVC) from the above SPLs and affected characters in saved games with Near Infinity. This restores the default behavior without the need to uninstall the mod component.

For mod component 3020, this applies to spwi902.spl, spwi318.spl, spwi618.spl, staf11.spl, and  spin710.spl (taken directly from the TP2).

EDIT: Although I'd prefer a properly working solution, because I don't like the default behavior, where multiple spells with different gameplay effects share the same visual effect. This of course also applies to other spells and items, in general.

Really? Perhaps that's a new bug introduced with a Beamdog patch because I tested this a long time ago when I made the component. Does it stay active every single time?

Yes, the visual effects accumulate. I fixed my saved games just right now, and had  multiple instances under effects.

At least this one was quite easy to track down. 🙂

I already hit several more or less severe bugs in my current installation and playthrough, which often leads to more or less educated guess work where to report it. The worst offender was repeated engine crashes in Watcher's Keep elemental level; that one I've no clue at all how to track down.

EDIT: If it helps, the spells also add the default "triple-swirly" animation (which is also used when the Cloak or Mirroring is equipped, or Spell Immunity is active) while they're active. That one actually ends with the spell duration. Seems hard-coded(?), because I couldn't find any other visual effect referenced in either SPWI902.SPL or STAF11.SPL.

Edited by Lurker