Scrolls cast at character level not working?

Hey there,

so i've been running the scroll cast at character level component on my shadowdancer but it seems it doesnt seem to work at all? Durations are the same wether or not the mod is installed and casting mirror image from scroll on a lvl 33 SD only gives 2 images? If the component was truely working as it should i'd get a lot more images.

Does this component only affect arcane caster classes that can use scrolls by default? Or does it not work at all?

thx

So your "caster" is a thief kit, correct ? It's also a 1st level mage, so yes, it works as "intended". Not like you would like to intend it, but... things go where they slide, in slime. Unfortunately there's nothing a mod maker can do about this.

6 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

So your "caster" is a thief kit, correct ? It's also a 1st level mage, so yes, it works as "intended". Not like you would like to intend it, but... things go where they slide, in slime. Unfortunately there's nothing a mod maker can do about this.

Its not a first level mage its a 33 Shadowdancer with Use Any Item. Unless the game considers him a lvl 1 mage for the purpose of enabling him to cast scrolls? Is that whats happening? That would be kinda weird.

Edited by arajaja

Well, the .cre has 3 different levels assinged to it. Depending which option you pick, more than 1 of them can be enabled for different stuff. Normally you have the primary class that levels up, but you also have 2 others that don't, but stay at level 1... so that means a "10th level fighter" is actually 10/1/1. Done.

0x0234 1 (byte) Highest attained level in class (0-100). For dual/multi class characters, the levels for each class are split between 0x0234, 0x0235 and 0x0236 according to the internal class name, i.e. for a FIGHTER_THIEF 0x0234 will hold the fighter level, 0x0235 will hold the thief level and 0x0236 will be 0.
0x0235 1 (byte) Highest attained level in class (0-100)
0x0236 1 (byte) Highest attained level in class (0-100)

24 minutes ago, arajaja said:

That would be kinda weird.

True, it kinda is.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

This is noted in the readme:

Scrolls and a few other items allow your party to cast spells from the item. When cast in this fashion, the spell is cast as if the character using the item is at a fixed level (for example, 10 in BG2 or 6 in BG) in terms of determining damages, durations, etc. This tweak will allow you to cast spells from items at your character's level, instead of the fixed value. One item to note here--the game will use your character's mage level; if you're in the habit of casting scrolls with your thief via Use Any Item, the spell will likely be cast at a minimum level.

Stupid question to @CamDawg, could a possible zero'ing of the other classes fix this issue? To test it out, one would just need to edit their character file in NI and set the values to zero. Don't have the tools for this right now. Yes, if that would fix it, then one would just need to create a EE mod that automatically clears the non double and tripple classed chars of their assigned levels at character creation. This would be similar like the 1/1/0 that is featured in the IESPD document I quoted. Or is that unrelated ?

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
16 minutes ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Stupid question to @CamDawg, could a possible zero'ing of the other classes fix this issue? To test it out, one would just need to edit their character file in NI and set the values to zero. Don't have the tools for this right now. Yes, if that would fix it, then one would just need to create a EE mod that automatically clears the non double and tripple classed chars of their assigned levels at character creation. This would be similar like the 1/1/0 that is featured in the IESPD document I quoted. Or is that unrelated ?

No, the second and third levels are not responsible for this. The game polls for levels in the relevant class, doesn't find any, and defaults to 1.

I suppose you could maybe do a zero-second op72 class change to wizard, ahead of any op146 effects?  That would probably work, without any lasting effects (like actual class change).

But I prefer AstroBryGuy's ScrollCasterLevelMod, which sets the scroll's caster level to the higher of either 6, or 1 + the minimum caster level required to cast the spell.  A nice little mod that, as I think about it, would fit very nicely in CDTweaks as an alternative to the component under discussion.  I wonder if a merger has ever been considered?  Might make sense for them to be alternative SUBCOMPONENTs, rather than two separate incompatible mods...

Was about to create the same thread, but now that it's been created I'll just politely interject :) I'm having the same problems (items are used at the lowest caster level, irrespective of character's caster level) but in IWD2. Is this feature not supported in IWD2?  The setup file gave me the option to install it so you'd think that it can work. @CamDawg

Edited by emxd
Guest Goshozal

Just out of curiosity, does the game consider sorcerer levels to be mage levels? It'd be really cool if scrolls can be powerful for sorcs. Because, you know, they need more power lol.