Leaving out easter eggs and joke resources

temnix

I'm doing some patching and copying of spells and scrolls, and I would like to leave out the ones that are intended as jokes or aren't real resources at all. CDDETECT.SPL gave me trouble as one of the latter, and jokes include "Summon Cow" (one spell, two scrolls). What else is there in the BG series and Icewind Dale of this sort?

I meant spells and scrolls. For example, in a standard installation of BGEE there are four scrolls labeled "Greater Malison," but only one just the right scroll icon and casts the corresponding spell. The others have Ghost Armor icons and cast pseudo spells, like "Tanarri Change." I don't know where those scrolls are used and who has them, but they screw up normal scroll patching. I want to filter out as many of these fakes as possible. And by the way, I invite suggestions for finding real wizard scrolls to apply patching. This should be something that would be compatible with changes to scrolls people make. I have gone with looking at item category, greater-than-zero string references for Identified name and Identified description, at least two abilities, the first ability with the Item location and the first effect of this ability Cast spell or Cast spell at point. There is still a risk that someone may patch them with effects on top of the casting, but this gives the best estimate. Still, if there is a more reliable way of separating wizard scrolls, I would like to know it.

Edited by temnix

One way to partially check is to check if the scroll icon matches the spell being cast. 

This should help:

https://github.com/UnearthedArcana/B_Spells/blob/master/B_Spells/data/components/Setup_Revised_Spells.tpa#L306

The above checks a spell for a specific opcode, and saves the resource as "item"--because then I need to do stuff to the item. But you could do something similar for scrolls to check if the spell matches the icon.

Edit2: to be clearer, you would need to check for a resource that matches the spell icon--the first 7characters--ie for the cast spell opcode--where it only does whatever if they match. 

Edited by Grammarsalad

Thanks, but I went the other way around. Since I couldn't properly sort out joke spells and spells of the wrong type (like "Tanar'ri Change," which is for some reason a wizard spell and listed as a wizard spell in SPELL.IDS; if I changed it to innate, which is what I'm doing to wizard spells, it wouldn't be castable by whatever demon knows it) - I went with spells in scrolls. Every proper wizard spell in the standard range is going to have a scroll for it to be learned, so I took the scrolls and only converted the spells they refer to. I should add an extra check - compare the spell cast from the scroll with the spell learned there. They are different in these pseudo Greater Malisons, and will probably be different in all fake scrolls, where the first ability was just edited to cast an unusual spell.

I can't know what exceptions to make, that's the problem in principle. Anyway, what do you mean by the wild mage spells? Nahal's Reckless Dweomer and Chaos Shield? I think I'm going to make scrolls for those.