How to determine what mod touched what items?

Is there a way to determine which mod may have altered an item?  I ask because I've installed 2 mods that are new to me but shouldn't affect the item in question: the gender-switching girdle.  In my other save games the item is fine.  In my latest, it's fine until I ID it, then I can't move it with the cursor without the game hanging.  I can move it to a container via the container's inventory screen (move to container), and can probably sell it (haven't tried), but I wouldn't be able to use the item.  I don't normally use it anyway, so it's not game-changing for me other than, it's a borked item I'd like to unbork.

I can probably fix the item by opening it up with whateverthatacronymthingieisthatfixesfilesrealnice, but I'd rather find the root of the problem.

--change-log the .itm file. And to find the .itm file, you just need to open the save game via Near Infinity or Shadow/EEKeeper. Also loading a save game from a game that was made before all the mods were installed is like randomizing billions. Sometimes you won't like the out come no matter what. And of course the --change-log only shows the current new file's mod edits, aka it doesn't work with old saves.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
1 hour ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

-change-log the .itm file

Alright, I'll admit complete and total ignorance on this...what do you mean by -change-log the .itm file?

EDIT: Found it, ran it, says  the item hasn't been modified.  I'm at a loss...

Edited by Lauriel

Sounds a bit like the SCS interaction thing that was adding infinite text to the Spell Deflection spells. If the belt has a string in its identified description that is too long or has invalid text, that could hang the game. And if the string was altered directly by e.g. STRING_SET, you wouldn’t see the item being altered when you run —change-log.

I don’t think you can —change-log a STRREF... but if you open the item in Near Infinity you might see some problem in the description. 

1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

if you open the item in Near Infinity you might see some problem in the description

I'll do that, thank you! :)

Descriptions looked fine.  Everything looked fine with it.  I'm out of ideas.  ::shrug:: 

Edited by Lauriel
5 minutes ago, qwerty1234567 said:

Did you actually check item name in the savegame? Mods often add copies/replacements for various reasons.

I think I did...at least I got to the item via the save game character's inventory items, whether or not that will bring me their instance of the item or the same itm file I'd look at if I went through normal channels, I couldn't say.