Info On Virginia Or North Carolina

CamDawg

My wife Rudy is wrapping up her doctorate and we're currently considering options for her post-doc. We're considering two outstanding offers from Duke University in Durham, North Carolina and Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virgina. Has anyone lived or lives currently in these areas? Can you let us know what the climate/people/job situation/etc. is like? I've visitied both states, but only briefly, and it was many years ago.

My wife Rudy is wrapping up her doctorate and we're currently considering options for her post-doc. We're considering two outstanding offers from Duke University in Durham, North Carolina and Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virgina. Has anyone lived or lives currently in these areas? Can you let us know what the climate/people/job situation/etc. is like? I've visitied both states, but only briefly, and it was many years ago.

I lived in Virginia Beach for 10 years - which is the opposite side of the state. I can't help with the job situation, but I do know the people are pretty friendly. The climate, at least on the coast, reminded me of the midwest - hot in the summer and too darn cold in the winter. I remember one winter we were blasted by two snowstorms within a week of each other, although that's a pretty rare occurance. However, Blacksburg is in the Smokey Mountains, so I'm sure there is snow on a regular basis. It's a beautiful area no matter the season, but especially so in the fall. At the time, the prices of things didn't seem to be outrageous, but we did quite a bit of our shopping on base - we lived at NAS Little Creek. Hope that helped a little.

Thanks Bev. We're spoiled with Northern California weather (I was in shorts and a t-shirt last weekend), so it's going to be a step down wherever we go. On the flipside, there's no way the cost of living or taxes could be higher than what it is here.

ARGH! We're sitting here waiting for more snow tonight and tomorrow! And I agree the east coast is definitely more reasonable. We also lived in San Diego for 6 months. Just stay away from Norfolk where, when we were last there, the sales tax was 8% and the restaurant tax was even higher!

Archived