Is there a way to keep DLTCEP from auto-saving files in the override

Sir-Kill

Anytime I open an area file it will save the xxxxht.bpm. (height), xxxxlt.bmp (light), xxxsr.bmp (search ), and the .wed also sometimes and game crashing .tis.

these get saved just when I save the .are file

All I pretty much do is add/remove an item from a container.

I also was saving portraits to a desktop folder and they are there in the override as well xxx000.bmp

Well, you create a new .are file, it needs it's represented other files for it to have the possibility of working. And they are named so, as the game has no other ways to associate them to the file. So no.

7 minutes ago, Sir-Kill said:

Anytime I open an area file it will save the xxxxht.bpm. (height), xxxxlt.bmp (light), xxxsr.bmp (search ), and the .wed also sometimes and game crashing .tis.

these get saved just when I save the .are file

And no. That is not entirely correct, while this is:

Anytime I save the .are file, it will also saves the accociated xxxxht.bpm. (height), xxxxlt.bmp (light), xxxsr.bmp (search ), and the .wed also sometimes and game crashing .tis.

As in, you can look at them all you want, but any difference in them, it will extract the data(from the .bif files it's achived into) to your override folder so it can find the thing.

Right, open/meant saved.

I can open an area, drop an item in a container, save the area, delete the non .are files and it does work just fine.

I could have sworn (just starting to use ni more) doing the same thing in N.I. just saved the .are and no other files.

So are you saying, if the area is not already in the override it takes it from the .bif and all the other files come with it?

also the bmp (portrait) files are bif too?

EDIT:

just confirmed with NI, no ar6001 in override, loaaded ar6001 in ni, changed area script to ar6002.bcs saved and just the .are file is in the override

Edited by Sir-Kill

Just loaded dltcep clicked areas button in the edit section of the main window (and from the edit pull down)

Just even clicking a file in the 'pick area' window loads the mos of that area.

While selecting that area loads the ht lt sr and wed. Not saving just loading.

dltcep 7.7 win 10 home on a SSD

So what are you stating with this ? You could live without the program doing so ? There's probably a reason for it to do so. Most likely to do with how it was meant to edit the files, and the end product being useful at moding the game ... you can go ahead and delete the file if they don't add anything new to the files by going into the game folders override folder and simply deleting the files.

BG2 on an SSD,,, why ? You do know the CD read speed was a 4.69 MiB/s at most, while your read speed from a HDD is usually 50 MiB/s... well, that's a figure from 2012 ... :D

Yep could definitely could do with out the added files. Oddly enough I have 2 other installs of bg2, one was from just before I started getting these newer mods (fix, tweaks, tobex etc.) one even older when I moved my (new win 10 from xp) os from a hdd to a ssd which had bg1&2. I have setups for both those installs as well on the same dltcep and when I look, edit, or save with those setups, in there respective override folders they only save the edited/changed files... That is what I found weird, tho I cant play those installs, probably because of the registry,  I can edit.

All my games are on the ssd makes it so I can upgrade my comp and if the drive letter is the same I don't think I'll have the problems I have had before.

15 hours ago, Sir-Kill said:

All my games are on the ssd makes it so I can upgrade my comp and if the drive letter is the same I don't think I'll have the problems I have had before.

In non-EE game, opening the baldur.ini file is not a big problem, as you can do it with Notepad, cheching that the [Alias] -paths are correct, be the drive any letter they be, and remembering to starting the game with the BGMain.exe, and not the other one... is really not that hard, when you get used to it.

J.M. heh I know, I'm not really a noob.

No, in my case it was that I could not play, install, (n)or uninstall. had to remove reg..

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Uninstall \ {8DAE4336-2B71-11D4-9A6C-006067325E47}

but that was after I spent way too much time

Bart.. I am really starting to like NI more and more, DLTCEP is still good for item, spell, cre. ect 

On 2/16/2021 at 7:16 PM, Sir-Kill said:

J.M. heh I know, I'm not really a noob.

No, in my case it was that I could not play, install, (n)or uninstall. had to remove reg..

Hmm, but that's a n00b mistake; 

In non - EE games: This was probably due to having deleted the game folder that was in the registered location, and not using the proper BGMain.exe to start the games with. As the Baldur.exe just starts the games BGMain.exe that is registered in Windows as the games file. Or tries if it's no where to be found. Be it at x:/games/BG2/BGMain.exe, even if you had ripped out the DVD drive years before, or never had one as the game folder was from a flash drive from 3 computers ago.

In EE games, it actually starts the game in the folder, as there's no longer BGMain.exe at all.

On 2/16/2021 at 5:37 AM, Jarno Mikkola said:

as you can do it with Notepad

wow, notepad what is that??

No to make a short story longer I changed operating sys. xp to 10 and trying to avoid a reinstall i just moved everything since i was not investing time in bg more like getting SkyrimSE, Mod Organizer, and over 230 mods working, after a good number of months/years I looked into bg again. the install was not working- problem 1 of a few. Now with them all on one drive upgrades or overhauls will have fewer problems.

But I don't see how any of this is relevant to the topic, I was kind of hoping for a solution.

Ahh, Windows 10, if you use the C drive, you need to have the game in the Windows Profile files, aka here:

C:\Users\<windows user name>\Games or something or other\BGII - SoA or similar\

As you don't have writing permissions in the non Users folders, so you can't overwrite the baldur.ini, as the Operation System won't be allowing the Write permission to even to the Admins as it wants to keep it's sandcastle, and you in the sandbox, cause you are it's virus.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola