SubtleMods: Magic Battles Revised - streamlined rules for mage duels

14 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

I've never tested it. The Deflection opcode in the IESDP says this:

So it sounds like a power level 10 will work fine with regard to deflections... but I don't know how it would interact with other parts of the game. Probably it would be fine...?

I wouldn't suggest you change the whole mod for this, not if it has the slimmest possibility to cause problems. But maybe instead of a binary decision (power=0 or power=spell level) you could have the .ini option allow the user to specify it, and use that variable in the code. (That's what I do with Cure spells.) Assuming of course that is fairly convenient. That way players could specify 0 or 10 at their own discretion, and they could test it.

Speaking of which, maybe we could write up a hotfix for @Chosen here. I don't know what the code is that you use to do this... is there a list of spells specified somewhere in the SRR package? If so I could write something up quickly for Chosen to try out.

Here, seems like it would be pretty easy to convert this into its own standalone thing for specifically an SRR player (less so for non-SRR players, especially seeing as the first group of spells/abilities/item resources I didn't even bother to comment names...): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/eif3zy8fh3okb77/friendly_spells_pierce.tph

I guess I'll have to investigate further at some point to figure out if there any ramifications from power level 10.

(e): Also, I don't think Non-Detection is supposed to be dispellable seeing as it's a spell protection, but Shield is, and I'm not sure why I included Shield in here in the first place - it's self-targeting and doesn't need it. So this might just be a matter of some minor oversights than anything systematically wrong. Although...that would still be an issue for something like Protection from Evil, I suppose, which is not self-targeting and included here.

Edited by Bartimaeus

I was quite busy previous week so didn't have the time to try power10 spells. Today I finally installed the hotfix tried few combinations. I am afraid my first tests were result in failure power10 spells seem to bypass spell deflections but aren't affected by dispel magic. I will make few more tests but we probably have to select between mini-breach dispels and deflection bypass for friendly spells. If you have any ideas I can test them for my setup. I am familiar with NearInfinity so I can make basic changes to spell files. 

Edited by Chosen
1 hour ago, Chosen said:

If you have any ideas I can test them for my setup.

Yes - find A^DISPE2.SPL and/or D5DISPEL.SPL and/or D5DISREM.SPL and/or SPWI513B.SPL - whichever ones exist in your game - and edit the opcode 221 and 230 effects such that the "max level" field (parameter1) is 10 instead of 9.

Yep, that seems to fix the issue. Everything seems to work at first glance. I will do few more tests to make sure I am not missing something and check few crucial spells. If you want me to check for any possible problems with this fix let me know. After few more tests I will continue the my playthrough so I would probably notice If anything else is amiss.

16 minutes ago, Chosen said:

Yep, that seems to fix the issue. Everything seems to work at first glance. I will do few more tests to make sure I am not missing something and check few crucial spells. If you want me to check for any possible problems with this fix let me know. After few more tests I will continue the my playthrough so I would probably notice If anything else is amiss.

Cool. I'll update MBR to breach and dispel power-10 effects.

Note, this won't solve everything; SRR should not just default to setting those spells to power=10, because the vanilla and SR(R) versions of Breach won't work on them in that case.

Well, I guess if SRR is being installed than the vanilla and SR versions don't matter. In which case if @Bartimaeus sets those buff spells to power=10, then he should also set the 221 effect in SPWI513B.SPL to remove effects with max_level 10. (And, I suppose, for the sake of completeness, maybe run an ALTER_EFFECT to change any other op221 and op230 effects targeting combat protections and specific protections, to set param1=10.)

Did you have time to solve issue with Dispelling Screen visual? In my install it has a very very tiny effect instead of a circle. I tried to replace it with silver circle from but couldn't find it yet. Will look at my previous install.

Edit: it is discBlue.vvc in the mod folder, I just changed it. I don't know if it was intentional on your part or mistake.

Edited by Chosen

Made in Heaven Spellpack adds the high level spells Major Globe of Invulnerability and Spell Invulnerability. Personally it will be a long time before I see any of those spells in game, but I was wondering if you would consider adding a check for them and if so get them to tie in to the changes from MBR?

3 hours ago, Quester said:

Made in Heaven Spellpack adds the high level spells Major Globe of Invulnerability and Spell Invulnerability. Personally it will be a long time before I see any of those spells in game, but I was wondering if you would consider adding a check for them and if so get them to tie in to the changes from MBR?

I don't know what those spells do, or what would be needed to account for them? I assume Major GOI is basically the same as vanilla GOI (protect against magic through spell level X), but the GOI spells are not really changed by this mod. The only thing is that this mod has an .ini setting to determine whether GOI spells should block Dispel Magic or not. So the MiH spell wouldn't be responsive to that setting choice. But aside form that, it should work perfectly well already.

I have no idea what 'Spell Invulnerability' is or how it might interact with this mod...

On 9/15/2022 at 5:04 AM, Quester said:

Major Globe of Invulnerability personally threw a wonderful wrench in my AI scripts, more so than any new spell from other spell mods before and after it, as it blocks all spells of level 5 and below. Namely, this impacts Breach which is the only way for many games to take down PfMW and the like. I'm personally not familiar with this mod and how it alters spell combat, but it is definitely something to consider.