How to Prevent Certain Items from Being Installed ?

There was a way to prevent the intallation of specific items in v3.017 by manually modifying a .tpa file.This procedure is no more valid in the latest versions of Item Revisions or Item Revisions Revisited (because the structure of the mod has evolved).

I definitely want to keep the revisited Sword of Backstabbing from Rogue Rebalancing mod.

Installing Rogue Rebalancing items before or after the main component of Item Revisions doesn't make any difference: i always end up with the version from Item Revisions. This is normal if IR is installed after Rogue Rebalancing.

In the other case what happens when IR's main component is installed before Rogue Rebalancing?  In that case IR is detected by RR and the Rogue Rebalancing's version of the short sword is not installed to avoid duplication.

So to be short, what can i do to keep the rogue Rebalancing's version of the short sword of backstabbing ?

Edited by Mordekaie
11 hours ago, Mordekaie said:

In the other case what happens when IR's main component is installed before Rogue Rebalancing?  In that case IR is detected by RR and the Rogue Rebalancing's version of the short sword is not installed to avoid duplication.

Install IR afterwards, after having done as Bartimaeus says.

However RR also moves the SSoB, Renal will not give it to you, it's on Aran. So, you need to either side with Bodhi, or get it from him in Chapter 6 (you're running short on backstab vulnerable enemies by that stage of the game, although most vampires can be backstabbed...)

4 hours ago, polytope said:

Install IR afterwards, after having done as Bartimaeus says.

However RR also moves the SSoB, Renal will not give it to you, it's on Aran. So, you need to either side with Bodhi, or get it from him in Chapter 6 (you're running short on backstab vulnerable enemies by that stage of the game, although most vampires can be backstabbed...)

I did some testing with Item Revisions without the Short Sword of Backstabbing:

- If Item Revisions' main component is installed before Rogue Rebalancing, then Aran and Renal both have the vanilla version of the Short sword of backstabbing

- If IR is installed after RR, then both Aran and Renal have the Rogue Rebalancing version of the Short Sword of Backstabbing

In either case we have a duplicated Sort Sword of backstabbing.

I also tested Rogue Rebalancing alone. Both guys have the revised version from Rogue Rebalancing.

1 hour ago, Mordekaie said:

I also tested Rogue Rebalancing alone. Both guys have the revised version from Rogue Rebalancing.

Are you saying that Renal has the sword in his inventory (several creatures do, but there's only 1 place you should be able to get it), or that he actually gave it to you for completing his mission?

With RR, it shouldn't be possible to get the SSoB from Renal apart from killing him. However, to do so you must not have sided with Bodhi yet, meaning Arkanis Gath will show up.

Depending on your game version and install, there are a couple of amusing bugs you can use to either prevent him noticing or from instakilling you, but you shouldn't be able to acquire two SSoB playing legitimately with RR.

8 minutes ago, polytope said:

Are you saying that Renal has the sword in his inventory (several creatures do, but there's only 1 place you should be able to get it), or that he actually gave it to you for completing his mission?

With RR, it shouldn't be possible to get the SSoB from Renal apart from killing him. However, to do so you must not have sided with Bodhi yet, meaning Arkanis Gath will show up.

Depending on your game version and install, there are a couple of amusing bugs you can use to either prevent him noticing or from instakilling you, but you shouldn't be able to acquire two SSoB playing legitimately with RR.

Maybe my tests are biaised: I used the console to import those guys at the beginning of BG2, i killed them and checked their dead bodies. I guess the technic is brutal. Then i shared the results that every one seems to have the SSoB in his inventory (and this is in contradiction with RR's features ?).

I am on v2.6.6 with latest versions of mods (Rogue Rebalancing v4.92, Item Revisions v4b10sd15 (the IR fork from @Subltedoctor).

7 minutes ago, Mordekaie said:

Maybe my tests are biaised: I used the console to import those guys at the beginning of BG2, i killed them and checked their dead bodies. I guess the technic is brutal. Then i shared the results that every one seems to have the SSoB in his inventory (and this is in contradiction with RR's features ?).

That's the problem, if you encounter Renal in game normally, on the second floor of the shadow thief hq in the docks, you would not be able to kill him there without Arkanis appearing and ending your campaign. Since it requires either using the console or exploits I wouldn't say it's really a bug that needs solving.