Linux/Wine/WeiDu quirk

I don't know how well know this is, heck it might be common knowledge, but over spending the better part of a year trying to get the Linux versions of the IE games and modding to work, I found an interaction with wine environment and weidu
In the time I've been messing around with it, I learned that you can't run weidu in wine. It just won't start. Usually. While weidu exes don't run, self extracting archives that install the files and launch weidu for you DO. So say, SCS and its executable will run in wine. But a zipped file that needs to be extracted manually with the weidu exe in it won't. This let me move the linux version of BGEE into a wine environment, run the installers for mods, and then move the game back to its home folder. I've played about 4 hours into BGEE with CDTweaks and SCS installed and everything seems to be working correctly so far. I know nothing of programming, so I can't even speculate on why this makes any kind of difference, but this works.

25 minutes ago, Thacobell said:

I learned that you can't run weidu in wine. It just won't start

A potential issue: depending if your wine is a 32 or 64 bit environment, it's possible your (32bit) wine installation won't know what to do with your (64bit) weidu.exe binary.

That said, I didn't try to actually run it.

I only went as far as making sure I could use the (linux) weidu binary on a (classic) bg and bg2 installation and running the result works with wine (it did).

5 hours ago, mickabouille said:

A potential issue: depending if your wine is a 32 or 64 bit environment, it's possible your (32bit) wine installation won't know what to do with your (64bit) weidu.exe binary.

I use Lutris, so I have both. Its supposed to autodetect, but I can also manually swap it as needed.

3 hours ago, lynx said:

Yeah, why would you even try using weidu with wine when it has a native version?

Because I haven't had any success getting it to work like it should. Its something I'm still working on.

I'd still advice to try a bit harder on the Linux-only setup, as ultimately it will be simpler and a bit more efficient. I've not tried yet the approach with a "native" case insensitive file system like ext4 (this was explained in another thread), but my recipe with ciopfs should work fine. I don't remember the details, but I think we talked about this on Discord. I don't know what went wrong, but we can give it a shot again if you want. :)

6 hours ago, suy said:

I'd still advice to try a bit harder on the Linux-only setup, as ultimately it will be simpler and a bit more efficient. I've not tried yet the approach with a "native" case insensitive file system like ext4 (this was explained in another thread), but my recipe with ciopfs should work fine. I don't remember the details, but I think we talked about this on Discord. I don't know what went wrong, but we can give it a shot again if you want. :)

We certainly did, thanks again. I haven't given up, it was just getting too stressful and I need to just play the game for a bit. My new issue is that linux weidu won't detect any tp2 files. When I'm in a bit better place mentally with it, I'll try figuring it out.