Morpheus562's Kitpack

Guest morpheus562

Yes: Mages, Bards and all Sorcerers (not just the Scion)* can wear helms, Mage/Thief (tested with Imoen in SoA) can't.

EDIT:
*: Missed that for Sorcerers is intended, nonetheless for Mages and Bards (kitted and unkitted) shouldn't.

Edited by Frenzgyn

It's because the item usability systems in the game only point one way; you can prevent a category of characters from using an item that they otherwise could, but you can't go the other way and enable an item for a category of characters that could otherwise use it. So if you have a sorcerer kit that can wear helmets, you have to enable helmets for sorcerers in general, and also mages since they share the same usability bit. Then , if you want to avoid side effects from your change, you can layer on effects in another system (opcode 319) to re-disable the helmets for mages. Re-disabling them for other sorcerers is even more complicated; you can catch the other kits easily enough, but unkitted sorcerers would need a two-stage effect so you weren't also disabling them for unkitted fighter/clerics and the like.

This "enable via usability bits, then disable via opcode 319" setup is used extensively by druids and shamans; the druid bit is the same as the shaman bit, but the actual items allowed are significantly different. So axes have op319 effects to ban them for druids, and scimitars have op319 effects to ban them for shamans.

On 9/27/2023 at 2:00 AM, morpheus562 said:

Thank you, but please note that is not released code yet.

Thanks, I am aware is the in-development branch, for now I am using it just for testing purposes to find a suitable load order in a quite big EET install.

Anyway, I am afraid that the issue with Eldritch Scion is more complex to fix, as jmerry suggested. Doublechecked in game and noticed that ALL Mages (kitted or not) can also use chain mail, splint armor and all the new E. scion's permitted weapons.

Hi Morpheus, I was running a quick test with the Scion, and I noticed it can cast too many spells. I created a new Scion in BG2 (no other mods installed). You start at level 7 and should be able to cast 6/6/4 spells. However, it is 7/7/5. Could it be that the game is recognizing there is a kit present, and like a mage it therefor gets an extra spell per level?

We talked about this kit before when it was still part of skills and abilities. Back then you intended it to have one fewer cast per day, but that didn't work so you removed that part of the description. Don't recall if it actually had the 'extra' cast back then too. 

IIRC only the dragon disciple actually has the reduced spell casting, and it is hard-coded. Just wondering, if someone rewrote the actual DD kit into something else, like say a Scion, would that work as a way to get a sorcerer kit with reduced spell casting? Or would you run into other (hard-coded) issues?

All mage and sorcerer kits other than "generalist"/"base class" automatically get +1 spells per day at each level. This is hard coded.

The Dragon Disciple counters this by reading its spells per day from a different table, MXSPLDD.2DA instead of MXSPLSRC.2DA. I'm not familiar with how that kit gets pointed to that table, but the values in MXSPLDD are 2 less than those in MXSPLSRC, leading to one fewer spell per day at each level for the Dragon Disciple.