New Baldur's Gate 2 EE-style English Game Text Update available!

Hi, pete_smith1229.

On 7/31/2023 at 3:36 PM, pete_smith1229 said:

Doubt my voice will add anything but I second reverting the text to the original as it is far more concise. Adding pronouns (he/she) is just extra noise.

The original game text for BG2 uses often "he" and sometimes "they" as neutral gender. I have great distaste for the latter while I find the first choice more tolerable.

Unfortunately using tokens <PRO_*******> seems to cause problems when checking text at character generation so we don't have the same extra choice that the EE team had (I assume the same issue does not happen in the EE engine). Note that even converting the neutral "he" or "they" to token isn't an issue-free solution either.

Hi Salk,

The component of Infinity Sounds with the new voiceovers is ready. I've tested the cutscene; they all sound great! This is what I noticed:

* The last of Santele's lines during the cutscene is unvoiced (64501 "Yes, please... take me away from this place.")

* Kiser Jhaeri's lines in the cutscene have associated audio files in the game, but the strings were stripped of the sound references to match the other actors. So, it only makes sense to restore Kiser Jhaeri's voiceovers now that you have the other ones. This is already done for Infinity Sounds, but I'm sure you'd like to add them to the GTU as well:

64698 => sarkis07 // "There. Surely you now see (...)"
  64699 => sarkis08 // "Captain, I stringently demand (...)"
  64700 => sarkis09 // "Well, Captain? Am I free to go now? (...)"
  64713 => sarkis10 // "I suppose such abuse is the best (...)"
  64941 => sarkis14 // "For endeavoring to divulge my machinations (...)"

If you haven't had a chance to watch the cutscene yet:

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("MelissanJob","GLOBAL",1)
CLUAConsole:MoveToArea("AR5015")

Hey skellytz!

Thanks for the feedback. I don't know whether you're using the updated VO for Captain Samand. I used the service of another actor and I believe the result is far superior. The updated .wav files are included in this GTU.

I'll get in touch with the actress that gave her voice to Countess Santele and will get her to record that line I missed.

Cheers!

Edited by Salk
3 hours ago, Salk said:

I don't know whether you're using the updated VO for Captain Samand.

The new one, of course! I've fully restored his CRE soundset, too. Also, I've fixed a pop or two in Santele's files and renamed Mateo's damage and dying to match the string references. In other words: I did my best as a way to thank you for hiring the voice artists 🙂

While going through BG2 unused audio resources to restore morale/damage/dying sounds, I've stumbled upon these unused voiceover files. Infinity Sounds restores them, but they should be part of the GTU as well:

STR    SOUND
  @118 RAELIS19
  @124 RAELIS19
@11626 RIELEV07
@16783 CSCOW101
@26394 TANNER08
@31828 KAYLXX08
@36714 RAELIS19
@42339 TEOSXX08
@64660 SAREVO75
@65963 2LOVE03
@66582 1AMERC09
@66585 1AMERC10
@66586 2AMERC10
@69773 AERI2510
@72927 AMCLER03
@73100 SENPRI04

And these are unused leftovers after the actual dialogue lines were changed and no longer matched the voiceovers. I'm going to cut the audio files to salvage as much as possible and add them to IS:

STR    SOUND
 @6879 EDWIN84
 @9174 KELDOR87
@21512 BODHIX15
@35558 ANOMEN81
@36461 GAELEN33
@49061 BODHIX17
@66130 HGNYA12
Edited by skellytz

Well, it's I, as always, that should be thankful to you and all your work, skellytz.

I'm very grateful for the additional restoration of unused VOs. I'll make sure to include all you reported missing in the next version of the GTU.

Could you be so kind as to provide me with the edited VOs as well once you have completed your work?

Cheers!

Edited by Salk
4 hours ago, Salk said:

Could you be so kind as to provide me with the edited VOs as well once you have completed your work?

Yeah, sure.  vo-cuts.zip

STR    SOUND
 @6879 EDWIN84
 @9174 KELDOR87
@21512 BODHIX15
@35558 ANOMEN81
@36461 GAELEN33
@49061 BODHIX17
@66130 HGNYA12

Not all of them match perfectly, so just pick the ones you like. Personally, I'd rather have the NPC say something, even if it's only the first sentence, than nothing at all.

I've also added the fixed Santele's files. Mateo's files need to be renamed:

SARMAT03 -> SARMAT04
SARMAT04 -> SARMAT05

Thanks!

I have already included most of your original restored VOs, although I have made a couple of cuts for two of them.

When Samantha completes the recording of the missing VO for string 64501, I'll share it with you of course.

I have unfortunately noticed that Alfonso spoke the word "Samand" with the accent on the last vowel, which is not how the actor voicing Kiser Jhaeri pronounced it. It's not too egregious a flaw, though, so I'm not so sure whether I should try to bother the actor for a new recording there.

Cheers!

Edited by Salk
3 hours ago, Salk said:

I have made a couple of cuts for two of them.

Which ones do you think should be cut?

3 hours ago, Salk said:

I have unfortunately noticed that Alfonso spoke the word "Samand" with the accent on the last vowel, which is not how the actor voicing Kiser Jhaeri pronounced it. It's not too egregious a flaw, though, so I'm not so sure whether I should try to bother the actor for a new recording there.

I'd say don't bother. It isn't hard to interpret Kiser's pronunciation as part of his mockery. Besides, surnames are often mispronounced. Try these two and then check:

Rezin Bowie

David Bowie

There are also two different pronunciations of Scorsese that the given speakers absolutely swear by. And then Martin Scorsese introduces himself and creates a third one.

Thanks @skellytz for the report, we'll also include the French equivalent in the French localization correction mod (CorrectfrBG2EE). :)

@Salk, is there any readme listing all the changes made? It could be also very interesting to us, especially the errors that cannot be categorized as typos. Both for BG1 & BG2.

But, why can't your work be integrated directly to the EEFixpack? Is it a personal choice? edit: nevermind, it's for BG2 classic.

Edited by Jazira

skellytz,

9 hours ago, skellytz said:

Which ones do you think should be cut?

Here's what I did:

- KELDOR87.WAV: The GTU will use the original, uncut VO and have the text match it.

- EDWIN84.WAV: The GTU will use IS's file.

- BODHIX15: The GTU is only using "I will offer you an alternative." part of the VO.

- ANOMEN81: The GTU is only using "My Test is coming very soon, my lady." part of the VO.

- GAELEN33: The GTU will use IS's file. The text has been amended to fully match the spoken words.

- BODHIX17: The GTU will use IS's file.

- HGNYA12: The GTU will use IS's file.

Once we have Countess Santele's last VO line done, I guess we should make sure that IS skips installing those files if it finds the GTU installed. Same thing for the new VOs, which are installed as separate component (10).

Cheers!