Classic bg2 some spells crashing game

Hey - I am on a bg2 classic install.  Using mods bg2 fixpack, ascension, rogue rebalancing, cdtweaks, scs, atweaks (in that order). 

Some spells cause game to crash.  I've been using a workaround where I remove the spell from override and replace it with a version from my previous tutu install.  This works but the only problem is that it no longer shows as "cast previously" when facing scs mages/clerics etc.  After my workaround, the spells work (for example, Protection from Normal Missiles will show its purple cylinder on an scs mage and apply its protection, it just won't show that it's been cast previously). 

Below is the what pops in my tobex log each time there's a crash.   Is there a more generalized fix for this?  Any insight is appreciated.   Yes I am aware I'm using an old install and that I should probably just be on ee at this point :)   I can provide my weidu if necessary.

CEffectSetStat::ApplyEffect(): Tried to set a stat with index < 387 (expected 387-4213)

Thank you!

I'm pretty sure that's an assertion, not a crash in the technical sense. It's from the tobex-only (ok, gemrb has it too) setstat opcode, saying it's being used improperly.

What you can do is use NearInfinity to search for instances of effect 318 being used in spells. Then look at each and check what it passes as parameter 2. The tricky part is that you then need to do some math, since the parameter encodes two values — you only need to look at the lower word (& 0xffff). That's the thing that's below 387 in your case.

What could be happening is that some of the mods you installed inadvertently broke compatibility with the original games by using EE opcodes. Protection from resource is at the same number (318) there.

On 11/14/2022 at 4:33 PM, MPurpl said:

Some spells cause game to crash. 

You could --change-log the .spl file and see which version of the file works and which doesn't from the procedures backup folder, and then go ahead and notify the mod maker that they shouldn't use EE opcodes in a non-EE game.