Three White Doves Not Functioning

On 1/9/2023 at 5:42 AM, sirnicklaus said:

This mace is neither doing double damage to outer planar creatures (tested on water, fire, and earth elementals, and fire salamanders), nor registering its 5% chance of destroying them outright.

Lorewise - and probably developer intent - a mace of disruption is only supposed to work this way on undead and evil extraplanar creatures. Did you test it on Rakshasa?

Ok, salamanders are evil, but they're elementals, not things from the lower planes.

15 hours ago, polytope said:

Lorewise - and probably developer intent - a mace of disruption is only supposed to work this way on undead and evil extraplanar creatures. Did you test it on Rakshasa?

Ok, salamanders are evil, but they're elementals, not things from the lower planes.

I've not come across any Rakshasa to test on yet; they must be in the Trials of the Luremaster expansion.

I had just assumed that elemental planes were outer planes because they aren't the plane the story takes place in.  You're thinking that by outer planes, the developer intent was to only be referencing the lower planes?

18 hours ago, sirnicklaus said:

I had just assumed that elemental planes were outer planes because they aren't the plane the story takes place in.  You're thinking that by outer planes, the developer intent was to only be referencing the lower planes?

D&D cosmology has undergone a lot of revisions over the editions, but at the time these games were published the elemental planes were inner planes separated from the prime by the ethereal plane, whereas the astral plane connects to the various outer planes, home to either fiends or angels.

I'm quite sure mace of disruption never had the % chance per hit of annihilating elementals in any edition (so there's no reason to expect it to work in game). I also don't really know where Rakshasas are supposed to come from, they're either from hell or an alternate prime I guess (they do show up in the expansion too).

oIWD's op284 does the following:

If the target creature has Race = 108 (GHOUL), 115 (SKELETON), or 167 (UNDEAD), the chance of being destroyed is based on the target creature's LEVEL1:

• Level < 4: 100%
  • Level = 5: 95%
  • Level = 6: 80%
  • Level = 7: 65%
  • Level = 8 or Level = 9: 50%
  • Level = 10: 35%
  • Level > 10: 20%

Can you see the bug? Hint: Level = 4 isn't handled, and thus has a 0% chance of being destroyed.

Race = 164 (TANARI) has a flat 5% chance of being destroyed.

I see no mechanism that enables the mace's "Double damage against undead and outer planar creatures." claim.

Edited by Bubb
On 1/10/2023 at 6:10 PM, polytope said:

On 1/12/2023 at 4:24 AM, polytope said:

D&D cosmology has undergone a lot of revisions over the editions, but at the time these games were published the elemental planes were inner planes separated from the prime by the ethereal plane, whereas the astral plane connects to the various outer planes, home to either fiends or angels.

I'm quite sure mace of disruption never had the % chance per hit of annihilating elementals in any edition (so there's no reason to expect it to work in game). I also don't really know where Rakshasas are supposed to come from, they're either from hell or an alternate prime I guess (they do show up in the expansion too).

Just confirmed it doesn't work on Rakshasa.